Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Compiling a box set? - take a lesson from the petty estate

All this talk about the new box set made me think of my recent experiences with two box sets recently released by Tom Petty's family/estate.

If there's ever an example of the right way to go about it, The American Treasure and Best of Everything are prime examples.

The Best of Everything was the first package that merged his early catalog with the later catalog, it actually served a niche that previous greatest hits packages hadn't done yet. It was also curated based on how Tom felt which tracks were the best tracks off of his later albums that perhaps were not released as singles.

American Treasure was a carefully crafted, woven mix of album tracks, alternate tracks, unreleased material, and some hits. Visually it also looked like they spent more than 5 minutes on the package.

Relating back to Stevie's latest box set, it could of been a really interesting set of material if anyone invested the time to pull it off. It's funny how Stevie has always idolized Petty, yet very rarely if ever took a single cue from him in terms of how he releases his product and the absolute attention to detail he put into everything.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
All this talk about the new box set made me think of my recent experiences with two box sets recently released by Tom Petty's family/estate.

If there's ever an example of the right way to go about it, The American Treasure and Best of Everything are prime examples.

The Best of Everything was the first package that merged his early catalog with the later catalog, it actually served a niche that previous greatest hits packages hadn't done yet. It was also curated based on how Tom felt which tracks were the best tracks off of his later albums that perhaps were not released as singles.

American Treasure was a carefully crafted, woven mix of album tracks, alternate tracks, unreleased material, and some hits. Visually it also looked like they spent more than 5 minutes on the package.

Relating back to Stevie's latest box set, it could of been a really interesting set of material if anyone invested the time to pull it off. It's funny how Stevie has always idolized Petty, yet very rarely if ever took a single cue from him in terms of how he releases his product and the absolute attention to detail he put into everything.
AGREE 100%. For someone she looked to as a mentor, she sure didn't follow in his path. Although, she'll be in the RRHOF more than he is.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So many of these compilations are not at the artist's request. I doubt this is an exception. At one of the Crystal Visions shows I attended, Stevie told the audience the CD was not her idea.

Rhino obviously sees the potential for easy money by tying this to her RRHOF induction. Tom Petty's family would certainly put a lot more effort into something that represents the legacy of a beloved family member they've lost.

A bit like apples and oranges in that regard.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
So many of these compilations are not at the artist's request. I doubt this is an exception. At one of the Crystal Visions shows I attended, Stevie told the audience the CD was not her idea.

Rhino obviously sees the potential for easy money by tying this to her RRHOF induction. Tom Petty's family would certainly put a lot more effort into something that represents the legacy of a beloved family member they've lost.

A bit like apples and oranges in that regard.
Good point. That's why I direct my criticism at Rhino. They used to do such marvelous work (remember their box sets for The Wizard of Oz and Zep's How the West Was Won?). They need to put more initiative into their releases—really roll up their sleeves and pull some all-nighters.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She needs an Ersnt Jorgensen.
Nobody does it better.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

While they may not be at the artist request, I would imagine she could be more involved in the process of defining what the final released product is. But, she kisses warner/reprises a$$ so freakin hard, she will roll over and let them release whatever they want which is how we land with this pile of redundant garbage.

Last edited by BigAl84; 03-06-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Old 03-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Good point. That's why I direct my criticism at Rhino. They used to do such marvelous work (remember their box sets for The Wizard of Oz and Zep's How the West Was Won?). They need to put more initiative into their releases—really roll up their sleeves and pull some all-nighters.
The Rhino label as it was is long gone. I think Warners pretty much fired everyone at Rhino around 2004, so we won't ever see releases with that care from them again. They're just trading off the name recognition at this point, and are just a shell of what they were. They pretty much just do straight repackages/reissues at this point, a lot of "Complete Albums" collections with very little quality control. It is a shame - they were the best reissue label for a while.

Last edited by saniette; 03-09-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Old 03-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How many copies do they really expect this to sale?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniette View Post
The Rhino label as it was is long gone. I think Warners pretty much fired everyone at Rhino around 2004, so we won't ever see releases with that care from them again. They're just trading off the name recognition at this point, and are just a shell of what they were. They pretty much just do straight repackages/reissues at this point, a lot of "Complete Albums" collections with very little quality control. It is a shame - they were the best reissue label for a while.
If I recall correctly, they were the one place that was adept at negotiating across labels and artists, so they were able to produce packages for artists with major label changes and get soundrltrack hits and such that might have licensing issues otherwise. I guess with all the industry shakeup, that's not so much of an issue now. And I may not even be remembering correctly.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
How many copies do they really expect this to sale?
Hmm, who knows, but the label clearly expects to sell enough to make it worthwhile to package it alongside the RRHOF hoopla. They aren't in the business to lose money.