User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
But after the 1997 reset, it just isn't FM without LB.
OTOH, what did we get with this “reset” which they’ve never really mentioned?

Two albums (SYW and LBCM) and an EP in 20 years. Yipee. Not even one album by the full lineup that’s so sacred that any change is sacrilegious.

Quote:
They should have dissolved the band if they couldn't work with him, or change the name to something like "The Mac Attack" or "The Mac" (like the Grateful Dead shortened to "The Dead" after Jerry died).
Why? That would be even less appropriate considering they’re doing pre- and post-Rumours era Fleetwood Mac songs. Fleetwood Mac doesn’t have an equivalent to Jerry, a Beatle, Freddie, Brian Wilson, etc.

Quote:
The pre-Rumours and 1987-95 lineups were a different band.

1997 was a reset back to the classic lineup. You could remove Christine and make it work, but it just ain't Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham (and for that matter Stevie Nicks).
It didn’t work without Christine, though. 1998-2013 was the least productive decade and a half in the band’s history. One album, one EP, and three tours. They will have done more shows since Christine’s return five years ago than they did in the decade between SYW and her return. I don’t know exactly how that “reset” is remotely desirable or admirable. An album tanking is less embarrassing than that total sloth of output. That was a total failure on all of their parts to put the band first. I would have been more impressed if they went alt.country/Americana on a smaller label with Bekka & Billy than the two oldies tours.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
than the two oldies tours.
you mean, four oldies tours.

actually, the Dance was really oldies tour too, no? what did they have - 3 new songs? kinda like 2013 / EP tour.

so maybe 5 oldies tours and SYW.

total waste of 20+ years.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you mean, four oldies tours.

actually, the Dance was really oldies tour too, no? what did they have - 3 new songs? kinda like 2013 / EP tour.

so maybe 5 oldies tours and SYW.

total waste of 20+ years.
1998-2013

That was after The Dance and before Christine returning. My comment was in reply to how the band worked without Christine, but not without Stevie and Lindsey. Well, how did THAT go? Two of the three tours were oldies tours, nothing new and nothing beyond six albums and some solo songs (and “Oh Well” really doesn’t count since it was more unusual that it didn’t get played).

That said, outside of the SYW tour, I think it was mostly a waste. Great they got on the album charts with The Dance and SYW and got to play arenas, but I’d rather they have moved further away from Rumours than put on the equivalent of a Broadway show off and on for fifteen years.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-18-2019, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1998-2013

That was after The Dance and before Christine returning. My comment was in reply to how the band worked without Christine, but not without Stevie and Lindsey. Well, how did THAT go? Two of the three tours were oldies tours, nothing new and nothing beyond six albums and some solo songs (and “Oh Well” really doesn’t count since it was more unusual that it didn’t get played).

That said, outside of the SYW tour, I think it was mostly a waste. Great they got on the album charts with The Dance and SYW and got to play arenas, but I’d rather they have moved further away from Rumours than put on the equivalent of a Broadway show off and on for fifteen years.
ok. so 1997-2019, under the name of Fleetwood Mac, we have:
  • 2 oldies tours without Christine, and 3 oldies tours with Christine;
  • 4 oldies tours with Lindsey, and 1 without him; and
  • 5 oldies tours with Stevie, 0 without her.

all together, 5 oldies tours and just one complete studio album. as i said - huge waste of 20+ years.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
so interesting to see these interpretations of the experience juxtaposed - one from a fan who is self-admittedly cult Nicks (see her quote at the top of this post) vs Nancy and the girls in the podcast who sound like all around FM fans.

poor Nicks fan just "had to" be energetic, dance, sing and enjoy their favorite band's show. it's a hardship! while FM (and LB) fans enjoyed the experience because dancing and singing and interacting with the band just may have been what they came for - considering it's a rock concert! as these girls in podcast said, it was about having energy upfront, vs people getting wasted or falling asleep in front of the stage. (yes, it was sloppily executed, and i still read tons of people complaining about it, but many huge fans got to get to the stage this way on OWTS tour.)

if you knew what you were doing and you managed to get upfront, it was easy to move to Nicks side if that's where you wanted to be. and if you somehow got stuck on Nicks side, you could always move to Lindsey's side where all the fun and action was, if that's what you were into.

tons of fans got their albums signed and got to chat with LB, and he made it the experience of their lives, at least judging by all excited social media posts from these shows. if you wanted to listen to Stevie's long stories instead you could always do that. nobody was "making you" annoy her.
Not sure what your issue is here. First of all, I like Lindsey just fine and enjoyed seeing him play every night. Second of all, I never said it was a chore. I said that we were brought up on the condition that we would dance/sing/liven it up. That’s not an assumption, those are the literal words that were told to us night after night when we were ushered into a little line to the front. We certainly didn’t mind having fun with him and would’ve been singing/dancing anyway. It was a fun experience and Lindsey was a great guy to us. We had many sweet conversations. Once he even made funny faces to me all throughout Silver Springs because he could see I was getting emotional and wanted to cheer me up. The next night he turned to me before that song and said “Don’t cry again!” which made us all laugh. It was a ton of fun and I have no complaints. I simply said it was a funny situation to be in. Knowing we originally were there to see Stevie and instead spent most of the tour annoying her. I think everybody else on here easily understood what I was saying and saw the humor in it. You’re just a little touchy, huh?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ok. so 1997-2019, under the name of Fleetwood Mac, we have:
  • 2 oldies tours without Christine, and 3 oldies tours with Christine;
  • 4 oldies tours with Lindsey, and 1 without him; and
  • 5 oldies tours with Stevie, 0 without her.

all together, 5 oldies tours and just one complete studio album. as i said - huge waste of 20+ years.
I don’t disagree. I will say The Dance and OWTS tours were a little different, in that it was the full classic lineup getting back together for a full tour after over a decade apart, and the current tour explores parts of the band’s history that have been dormant for decades or never explored (All Over Again), although I would rather it go even deeper. The ideal would be a mix of hits, new, vintage, and obscure, but that’s a pipe dream.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
It was a fun experience and Lindsey was a great guy to us. We had many sweet conversations. Once he even made funny faces to me all throughout Silver Springs because he could see I was getting emotional and wanted to cheer me up. The next night he turned to me before that song and said “Don’t cry again!” which made us all laugh. It was a ton of fun and I have no complaints. I simply said it was a funny situation to be in. Knowing we originally were there to see Stevie and instead spent most of the tour annoying her.
thanks for clarifying!

i remember a friend of mine who's a huge Stevie fan and was always right in front of her mic jumping and dancing at every FM show once by chance ended up at Lindsey's mic. she messaged me immediately after that show all excited going - now i understand what you guys are talking about! what an experience being at his side of the stage! she said when he first saw her there he was like - aren't you on the wrong side and they laughed about it - and she went on and on about all the teasing back and forth, him pulling all those funny faces and all those interactions and little personal attentions like your anecdote. glad you had fun!

i'm pretty sure you know this girl, everyone who's ever been upfront at FM and SN shows does. she ended up being firmly team lindsey in this whole debacle and is now following different bands, skipping FM tour.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t disagree. I will say The Dance and OWTS tours were a little different, in that it was the full classic lineup getting back together for a full tour after over a decade apart, and the current tour explores parts of the band’s history that have been dormant for decades or never explored (All Over Again), although I would rather it go even deeper. The ideal would be a mix of hits, new, vintage, and obscure, but that’s a pipe dream.
yeah one can always find why all the tours were "a little" different. not enough and still a huge waste of time and opportunity. these people were in prime of their lives during the Dance. and as far as the band goes, wasted all those years since. and now they are old people.

#semantics

Old 02-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The podcast I listened to that always mentioned Lindsey and the Mac was The Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe. It ended last year. It was hosted by wrestler Mike Quackenbush and Fox’s former weekend news host Clayton Morris. They never paid much attention to Stevie one way or another when they discussed the band. I would have loved to hear their commentary about the last year.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
It was a fun experience and Lindsey was a great guy to us. We had many sweet conversations. Once he even made funny faces to me all throughout Silver Springs because he could see I was getting emotional and wanted to cheer me up. The next night he turned to me before that song and said “Don’t cry again!” which made us all laugh. It was a ton of fun and I have no complaints.
Typical Lindsey.

Quote:
Knowing we originally were there to see Stevie and instead spent most of the tour annoying her.
Typical Stevie.

I'm so glad I chose the right side!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.