The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Ledgie

And the Rock Werchter thing is likely to be AC/DC (who are also favourites to play Glastonbury) rather than FM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
And the Rock Werchter thing is likely to be AC/DC (who are also favourites to play Glastonbury) rather than FM.
Probably right about that or perhaps U2...
I don't think RW is a place to play for a band like FM. At least it is not a festival where you would expect them to play.... Glastonbuy is but not this year so it seems.........
Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ha, the efestivals discussion board has caught on to Mick's comments at his M&G through The Ledge;

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/t...c-2015/page-11

...which in turn is generating comments about what has been said on The Ledge about Glastonbury.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Ha, the efestivals discussion board has caught on to Mick's comments at his M&G through The Ledge;

...which in turn is generating comments about what has been said on The Ledge about Glastonbury.
One of the posters at the "festivals" link suggested that FM may not be playing Glasto because they fear it will cause a drop in ticket sales for the arena shows. Will they buy an arena ticket if they buy a Glasto ticket? Didn't Mick say they would not do a festival while they are on tour?
Old 10-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
One of the posters at the "festivals" link suggested that FM may not be playing Glasto because they fear it will cause a drop in ticket sales for the arena shows. Will they buy an arena ticket if they buy a Glasto ticket? Didn't Mick say they would not do a festival while they are on tour?
I suppose I could see the argument that you wouldn't want to confirm Glastonbury while you're in the process of (or going to start the process of) selling arena tickets.

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Generally, most of the bands that would play there would be in the middle of some sort of tour. Regarding his comments about maybe playing one year when they had no commitments- I'm not sure you'd want to play a one-off gig as big as that without having the chance to get out the rustiness and hone the set a bit.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I suppose I could see the argument that you wouldn't want to confirm Glastonbury while you're in the process of (or going to start the process of) selling arena tickets.

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Generally, most of the bands that would play there would be in the middle of some sort of tour. Regarding his comments about maybe playing one year when they had no commitments- I'm not sure you'd want to play a one-off gig as big as that without having the chance to get out the rustiness and hone the set a bit.
This actually makes sense... If you already have a Glasto ticket and you know FM is headlining why spend the high ticket price for an arena. 135,000 Glasto tickets have been sold so that's 135,000 potential arena tickets that will go un purchased if FM were to headline.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Both Michael and Emily Eavis have confirmed that they have specifically asked Fleetwood Mac to headline several times. I have friends who work in the festival industry and apparently it is extremely unusual to make such a statement for fear of either pissing off the band or making your festival seem unpopular. Obviously they don't have that second worry so this shows just how badly they are wanted.

I hope that this was Mick trying not to give away any big announcement.

If the band don't do it this year - to capitalise on all the hype of Christine being back - then they are idiots. It's one thing to have slapdash marketing etc, which we know they're guilty of, but to continually turn down Glastonbury really shows that they either don't care about such a huge gig or, worse, just don't get how lucrative (financially and for audience exposure) this could be for them.

This is the peak time for them to do it. Seriously, Christine is loved in the UK and this event is enormous! For those who don't know, I'm from the UK so know first hand how huge the event is.

Here's why now is the time:

- They're touring so their chops are up
- They are likely to be around Europe at this time
- A well-loved British member of the band has returned
- Headline acts usually see at least a 100 - 300% bump in album sales/downloads
- This would remind the non-Ledge record buying audience just who they are (sadly this is necessary) and create anticipation for the much-teased new material
- The Eavis's have their pick of headliners. They might want them but they don't need Fleetwood Mac so they may stop asking. Nobody likes to be turned down repeatedly. They may want the band but the organisers won't be made to beg for them. By the time Fleetwood Mac deign to play the festival the organisers may say "pfft - we asked you too many times and we have people who want to be here - bye!"

For all of the above, if they don't do it this year then they may never do it, or if they do (perhaps at the time of a new album) it won't have as much impact.
You are spot on there my friend.

This represents such a huge opportunity for them, they will see all of their albums re-chart and sell in huge numbers and I don't buy that it will affect sales of concert tickets at all, it will boost sales as there will be such a buzz about them.

They do tend to shoot themselves in the foot at times - this will surely rank as one of the biggest mistakes of their career if they turn this down
Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 AM
Ledgie

Quote:

haha, yep, cos I'm the 'Stu H' on that board!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
Mick said last night at the meet and greet they were not playing Glastonbury. It would be a great experience for the band, but it was a big deal and a big undertaking. He said they might do it one year that they weren't touring as a one time gig.
This news is also on the web of a festivalsite in Belgium. Like it has been said here before they moved Werchter festival in Belgium with one week to book one off the headliners. One off the rumors was FM but with this news of Mick also leaked out in Belgium they also think it's not gonna happen that FM will play at werchter. Werchter is now in the same weekend as Glastonbury.

Use google translate to read.

http://www.ishetalwerchter.nl/?p=493
Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is NOT playing Glastonbury.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17 View Post
Fleetwood Mac is NOT playing Glastonbury.
I know it's old news but for you who still had some hope Michael Eavis rules out possibility of FM playing at Glastonbury today...

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/80753
Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 07-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[After he appeared at Glastonbury, Lionel Richie's Greatest Hits album is now #1 on the UK charts. Of course, this could have been FM, but instead of seeing their Greatest Hits make the top of the charts (AGAIN), it would have been thrilling if they had new music that got a gigantic boost from the appearance. He hasn't been #1 in 23 years]

NME:

Lionel Richie has reached Number One in the Official UK Albums Chart this week following a successful Glastonbury performance.

Greatest hits album 'The Definitive Collection' by Lionel Richie & The Commodores was released in 2003 and previously reached Number 10 on the Official Chart upon its release. This week marks its first Top 40 re-entry in six years.

Richie's Sunday afternoon set at the festival, which saw him performing songs including 'Dancing On The Ceiling' and 'All Night Long (All Night)', was among the best attended of the Glastonbury weekend and was also broadcast live by the BBC.

"I was overwhelmed performing at Glastonbury in front of all those people and for the fans to make the album Number 1 is ?unbelievable," Richie told OfficialCharts.com.

"The UK has always been a special place for me, thank you, I love you all."

It also marks the last ever Sunday charts countdown, with the Official UK charts moving to Fridays in line with the new Global Release Day, which will see albums and singles released on Fridays worldwide, instead of on Mondays previously in the UK.

Nearly half of this week's Top 40 consists of Glastonbury acts, with Florence And The Machine at Number Two and James Bay at Number Three.

Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran complete the Top Five in fourth and fifth place respectively.

Lionel Richie recently spoke to NME about his Glastonbury set, describing it as "a perfect show".

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/lionel-richi...zGwqAmmVudl.99
Old 09-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Glastonbury Talk: it's never ending. It's just like a river.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/10/glasto...ey-be-5384883/

Glastonbury have picked their 2016 and 2017 headliners… but who could they be?

Rebecca Lewis for Metro.co.ukThursday 10 Sep 2015 2:04 pm

In a new interview Michael Eavis has accidentally let slip that the headliners for Glastonbury Festival 2016 AND 2017 have been confirmed.

The founder of the festival revealed the news during an interview with the BBC at the Association of Independent Music awards – and he also let slip that the six headliners are made up of four returning acts and two brand new acts.

It’s always great to see new acts taking their place on the Pyramid Stage, what is surely a highlight for any musician or band’s career so here’s our pick of the 11 who we’d love to see up there in the next two years.

Fleetwood Mac:

Another obvious one, Fleetwood Mac have been on an incredibly successful reunion tour over the last few years.

Plus, now that Christine McVie is back and the band are a fivesome again, it’s the ideal time to add a Glastonbury notch to their performing bedpost.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/10/glasto...#ixzz3lYXVMEiZ
Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...od-mac-6663238

Glasto your own way as Fleetwood Mac set to sign for music festival

Sources close to the band said it was “highly likely” the band would headline the iconic festival next year

Glastonbury organisers are in the final stages of signing Fleetwood Mac , we can reveal.

It comes after they headlined Isle Of Wight festival last year as a UK exclusive.

But now having kept that promise to Isle of Wight bosses, they are free to Go Their Own Way.

A festival source at Q tells us: “Glastonbury was always on the cards and they wanted to do it last year but they couldn’t because of the deal they have signed with Isle Of Wight organisers. Now they are free of that they can do what they want.”

It is not yet known how much Glastonbury mastermind Michael Eavis has offered the British-American rockers.

But it will be significantly less than what Isle Of Wight organiser John Giddings splashed out to get them last year.

Giddings said he managed to get the five stars – including Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham – by showing them the dollar.

Apparently Michael Eavis was blown away by their tactics. Giddings revealed: “Michael Eavis said, ‘How did you get Fleetwood Mac?’ I said, I paid them!”

He said he had to invest in a show-stopping headline act to fill the festival.

“Glastonbury are in a privileged position, whereby they sell out in advance,” he explained.

“They could book my granny and still have a festival.

“The rest of us are still in the realms of having to book a decent line-up and make it attractive to people and make them want to come.”

Other acts tipped to headline next year’s Somerset extravaganza include Coldplay and Adele.

Fleetwood have been on a multi-million-pound tour of the world and wrap it up in next month in New Zealand.

We just hope Mr Eavis can seal the deal. Don’t Stop hoping...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"