Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Phoenix Concert at Comerica Theatre

Thanks to Elle for finding this article.

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie Know Exactly What You Want

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

By Jason P. Woodbury

You don’t have to strain to hear the influence of Fleetwood Mac in the popular music of 2017. Sister act Haim built the soft rock gems of its latest LP, Something to Tell You, utilizing songwriting tips on loan directly from Stevie Nicks, the West Coast pop figurehead who just so happens to show up on Lana Del Rey’s forthcoming album. From Miley Cyrus’ “Malibu” to the sophisticated pomp of Lorde and Harry Styles, the Mac’s golden-hued songs, filled with earnest lyricism and smoothed out, pillowy aesthetics, continue to hold sway over those looking to achieve pop rock transcendence.

But the album that comes closest to capturing the charm and emotional resonance of vintage Fleetwood Mac? That would be Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie, released this year by, you know, two actual members of Fleetwood Mac.

It’s effectively a Fleetwood Mac album in all but name. Featuring contributions from Mick Fleetwood and John McVie alongside the namesake duo, the record is so redolent with references to classic Fleetwood moves you’d think it directly followed Tango in the Night. Nicks doesn’t appear, but close your eyes and you can imagine she’s there.

Originally titled Buckingham McVie — a cheeky reference to Buckingham Nicks, the 1973 record recorded by the then-romantically entwined couple before they joined Fleetwood Mac in 1975 — it works like sonic time travel.

Strip away some of the compression from Buckhingham’s vocals on opener “Sleeping Around the Corner,” and you’d have an excellent Rumors A-side. Once the harmonies of the chorus kick in, thick and evocative of a monsoon wind, it’s easy enough to disregard the clunky lyrics and get lost in the mood. On “Feel About You,” McVie steps up to the mic and delivers a stunner that echoes her funky Mirage-era material. “Lay Down for Free” feels like you could have plucked it from Tusk (indeed, the new album was recorded at Village Recorder, the same studio where Tusk was hatched); “Too Far Gone” finds McVie slipping into the bawdy spirit of her classic, “Sugar Daddy.”

It’s a mixed bag when artists give fans exactly what they want. On Weezer’s 2016 “white” album, the band often sounded like a tribute act to itself, citing specific highlights from its discography. Similarly, Metallica’s Hardwired … to Self-Destruct from last year found the Bay Area quartet mining its early thrash classics for modern inspiration. The results of a back-to-basics record usually sound pretty good, thrilling even, in both Weezer and Metallica’s cases, but it’s hard to shake the notion that artistic evolution necessitates not simply playing the hits, or updated, reconfigured versions of the hits.

But evolution doesn’t always sound great. On paper, Metallica and Lou Reed’s collaboration Lulu is keeping with the idea of artistic merit, but Hardwired is simply more fun to listen to. Or take Todd Rundgren’s latest, 2017’s White Knight. Topical, daring, and fearless, it’s also pretty terrible — even when Steely Dan’s Donald Fagan shows up to skewer President Donald Trump on “Tin Foil Hat” or American soul legend Bettye LaVette belts it out on “Naked & Afraid.” It’s admirable that Rundgren keeps pushing the envelope, bravely defying what’s expected of a “classic” artist, but admiration doesn’t always translate to enjoyable songs.

Would a song rearranging the chords of “Can We Still Be Friends” be more fun to listen to than “Deaf Ears,” his collaboration with Trent Reznor? Probably, even if the latter is more authentically creative.

Listen closely to McVie and Buckingham’s latest, and you will hear modern touches that suggest the now more than the then: programmed drums, sonic wizardry affecting their voices. But what you’ll hear more than anything is the sound of two pros at ease with their craft. They take no overt risks, never try out a hip-hop guest spot or industrial soundscape, but they do accomplish something that feels right. When everyone seems to be trying to figure out how to do what you do, teaching the lesson is practically a public service.

Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham are scheduled to perform on Tuesday, July 25, at Comerica Theatre. Tickets are $49 and up through Livenation.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
But what you’ll hear more than anything is the sound of two pros at ease with their craft. They take no overt risks, never try out a hip-hop guest spot or industrial soundscape, but they do accomplish something that feels right. When everyone seems to be trying to figure out how to do what you do, teaching the lesson is practically a public service.
love this quote!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
love this quote!!
And it's so true. And I'm so proud of them for that!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A reference to Sugar Daddy--I didn't see that coming. I love that song!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have 2 pairs of tix to this PHX show, both aisle seats. Out of town guests bailed.

Sec 204 row 3 seats 1,2
Sec 205 row 5 seats 1,2

$30 each/$60 pair
Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Amazing show tonight! Again it was full house. Pretty much like Las Vegas.

I may have heard Lindsey adding some bits on some songs.

Again both looked happy and relaxed. They even joked a bit with the audience and also when they were introducing the rest of the band.

Christine made Lindsey laugh and he couldn't continue singing at the "packing up, shacking up" part. She took her hands away from the keyboard and kept saying to Lindsey with her arms crossed: "I'm not playing, I'm not playing" Christine made Lindsey laugh!

I touched Lindsey's guitar and knee (because of proximity ) during I'm so Afraid, and when they were leaving I grabbed Christine's pinky finger!!

A girl had a sign that said she wanted to take a pic with Lindsey because he was the reason she started playing guitar as a kid. She got her wish at the end of the show.

The crowd was wild and they were both really, really happy. Lindsey was beaming.

I'm gonna try and posts some videos and pics in a few hours.

Last edited by button-lip; 07-26-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Old 07-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Again both looked happy and relaxed. They even joke a bit with the audience and also when they were introducing the rest of the band.

Christine made Lindsey laugh and he couldn't continue singing at the "packing up, shacking up" part. She took her hands away from the keyboard and kept saying to Lindsey with her arms crossed: "I'm not playing, I'm not playing" Christine made Lindsey laugh!

I touch Lindsey's guitar and knee (because of proximity ) during I'm so Afraid, and when they were leaving I grabbed Christine's pinky finger!!

A girl had a sign that says she wanted to take a pic with Lindsey because he was the reason she started playing guitar as a kid. She got her wish a the end of the show.

The crowd was wild and they were both really, really happy. Lindsey was beaming.

Thanks for the late night reporting- so happy that your trip is turning out so worth it!!

Love that he couldn't continue signing because she made him laugh so hard - hope someone captured that!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Again both looked happy and relaxed. They even joked a bit with the audience and also when they were introducing the rest of the band.

I touched Lindsey's guitar and knee (because of proximity ) during I'm so Afraid, and when they were leaving I grabbed Christine's pinky finger!!

A girl had a sign that said she wanted to take a pic with Lindsey because he was the reason she started playing guitar as a kid. She got her wish at the end of the show.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great time!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Great review!! I will be in DEN!!! Can't wait.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

OMG !!
I cant believe I am responding to someone on a message board who actually touched Christine's pinky finger

CONGRATULATIONS MY FRIEND
I am deeply jealous and full of envy

Keep the reviews coming!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Confused

looks like people are saying it was a full house, yet 3 hours before the show the site and ticket places showed the venue only had like 1/2 the tickets sold ? that's weird, idk if I trust these ticket sites, because I was under the impression only half the venue was sold
Old 07-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Trouble

Old 07-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Thanks for the late night reporting- so happy that your trip is turning out so worth it!!

Love that he couldn't continue signing because she made him laugh so hard - hope someone captured that!
Thanks! That last minute ticket change was so worth it!

It's hard to record Go your Own Way. You just want to sing with Lindsey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great time!
Yeah! When I briefly touched Christine's hand I thought about your flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Great review!! I will be in DEN!!! Can't wait.
I know! I hope it's another full house! Last night aerobic guy was nothing in comparison to a woman near me. But she went only for The Wallflowers. She gave quite a show, and then she left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
OMG !!
I cant believe I am responding to someone on a message board who actually touched Christine's pinky finger

CONGRATULATIONS MY FRIEND
I am deeply jealous and full of envy

Keep the reviews coming!
She was leaving and I grabbed her pinky finger with all my force. Her hands are cold.

And thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A View Post
looks like people are saying it was a full house, yet 3 hours before the show the site and ticket places showed the venue only had like 1/2 the tickets sold ? that's weird, idk if I trust these ticket sites, because I was under the impression only half the venue was sold
Well, only on the 2nd floor there were very few people, but a couple of hours before the show there was only 1 ticket available on row 1 and apprently it was sold because there was no place to walk. We were literally on the stage. That's why it was so easy to touch everybody.

I ended up giving away my 2nd row ticket. I sent you a PM asking you if you wanted to buy it, but you never answered so I gave it away.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A few things I remembered, even though I still haven't slept.

Lots of folks with FM t-shirts (Second Hand News, Tusk You, from different tours), and with Lindsey's solo tours t-shirts.
A fan had a very amusing t-shirt: "I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands" And he was right!

During Feel About You, Christine sang "your jelly taste the sweetest to me" to Lindsey. They were both laughing!

The band was very active last night. They were all joking with each other and with Christine and Lindsey.

More videos to come.