User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I think my favorite part of that whole interview is Stevie talking at length about Tango in the Night. It helps that I agree with her opinions on that album 100 percent. Every song she lists as a Highlight I agree with, which is about 8 of the 12 songs on the album. Specifically like that she seems to genuinely really love Family Man and Caroline since she mentions them 2-3 times enthusiastically. And rightfully states that Lindsey has the best songs.

She also says without saying it, that she was completely useless to that album.
Or at least the closest to saying something overly critical about her own music as far as I can remember. She literally lists every song as being great except the 2 she wrote and mystified. And it’s possible she glossed over mystified, but Stevie never just glosses over a chance to talk about a song she wrote.

And Now that I’m thinking about it, I can’t recall one time Stevie’s ever even said the title of those 2 songs.

She often admits to not liking much of Street Angel, but has never really spoken to providing 2 of the worst songs to such a great album. And the kicker is she had so much better to offer.
I agree with everything you’ve said. I’m a huge Stevie fan but Tango in the Night may be my favorite FM album. It takes you to a really specific point in time and I get why The 1975 person feels this way too!

I really love how Stevie takes opportunities to speak here. IIRC, he talks about loving this album and rather than moving off the topic she says something like, “well if you love that album, here’s a story about it and these are the songs I love the most” etc. Sometimes, especially on these boards, people get very wrapped up in Stevie’s personal life and personality, but I could listen to her talk about music all day!
Old 05-07-2020, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think my favorite part of that whole interview is Stevie talking at length about Tango in the Night. It helps that I agree with her opinions on that album 100 percent. Every song she lists as a Highlight I agree with, which is about 8 of the 12 songs on the album. Specifically like that she seems to genuinely really love Family Man and Caroline since she mentions them 2-3 times enthusiastically. And rightfully states that Lindsey has the best songs.

She also says without saying it, that she was completely useless to that album.
Or at least the closest to saying something overly critical about her own music as far as I can remember. She literally lists every song as being great except the 2 she wrote and mystified. And it’s possible she glossed over mystified, but Stevie never just glosses over a chance to talk about a song she wrote.

And Now that I’m thinking about it, I can’t recall one time Stevie’s ever even said the title of those 2 songs.

She often admits to not liking much of Street Angel, but has never really spoken to providing 2 of the worst songs to such a great album. And the kicker is she had so much better to offer.
She has admitted being useless to the album before, though.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
She has admitted being useless to the album before, though.
Maybe something along the lines of her talking about being in rehab and not being present ever, but I can’t recall her ever once even saying either of those song titles or something along the lines of acknowledgement that those 2 songs are so much worse then the other 10. She didn’t do it now either technically. But sue implies it

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-09-2020, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Things that stood out to me:

Her explanation of why she was so angry about the Betty Ford thing.

Her essential admission that she wasn't really there for TANGO IN THE NIGHT. She references being on klonopin when she's talking about making the album, and then she cites Lindsey and Christine's songs as being the best.

I would have liked the interviewer to ask her directly about writing new songs now.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Midway through this and it's so great.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Midway through this and it's so great.
Love hearing Stevie talk, I could listen to her tales all day.

Especially the bit about Tango in the Night, it's so great to hear Stevie being a fan of Fleetwood Mac and specific album cuts which we don't hear about very often.

I'm gonna have to check out the 1975 now. As a fellow Brit I can vouch for the cultural impact of that album, Everywhere is such a massive hit here.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still puzzled as to when the Kolonopin kicked in. Mick said in an interview that during Tango in the Night, he and Stevie were the big cocaine users and would use a trailer that Lindsey had parked outside his house to party in. She was gone most of the time because she was touring with Rock a Little and she was using during that tour. She went to Betty Ford after the tour and then went in to work on Tango. Wouldn't she have been alert and drug free? but she mentions working on Tango after being prescribed the Kolonopin. So I still am so confused as to when she started using it and when it kicked in making her a bit of a zombie. She seemed really good during the Tango press tour and videos. So she must have been working on Tango while touring and using. Then went to Betty Ford at the end of the year and was given Kolonopin when she got out?

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 05-09-2020, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it takes a while for Klonopin to start really kicking your ass. I know a couple of people prescribed it recently, and I always tell them about $tevie's problem with it.

Maybe she was taking double or triple what she was supposed to???
Old 05-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I'm still puzzled as to when the Kolonopin kicked in. Mick said in an interview that during Tango in the Night, he and Stevie were the big cocaine users and would use a trailer that Lindsey had parked outside his house to party in. She was gone most of the time because she was touring with Rock a Little and she was using during that tour. She went to Betty Ford after the tour and then went in to work on Tango. Wouldn't she have been alert and drug free? but she mentions working on Tango after being prescribed the Kolonopin. So I still am so confused as to when she started using it and when it kicked in making her a bit of a zombie. She seemed really good during the Tango press tour and videos. So she must have been working on Tango while touring and using. Then went to Betty Ford at the end of the year and was given Kolonopin when she got out?
She was probably coked up early on, got clean from coke, but was still heavily using alcohol and probably pot.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
The other thing is THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR came out 2 years after TANGO IN THE NIGHT and Nicks referred to that album as her "last good album" before Klonopin started turning her into a zombie. So yeah - it does seem that the Klonopin effect was largely after TANGO.

I think its likely she was off coke but still drinking quite a bit during TANGO. Whatever it was, Buckingham referenced how hard Nicks and Fleetwood were partying and how much that made it difficult to finish the album and impossible to tour behind it.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe something along the lines of her talking about being in rehab and not being present ever, but I can’t recall her ever once even saying either of those song titles or something along the lines of acknowledgement that those 2 songs are so much worse then the other 10. She didn’t do it now either technically. But sue implies it
I have heard her talk about the songs, but no I never heard her say they were bad. And I’ve heard her say in the last 15 years that she wasn’t really there for Tango and I don’t just mean physically absent. She's talked about being physically absent before way back when, but I think it's only in the later years that she has said she wasn't mentally present either.

You're right, she doesn't talk about the songs much. I think we all remember her talking about putting Lindsey’s voice on WISYA and in that same Creem interview she said:

Quote:
Welcome to the Room Sara is very much a secret kind of song. Sara is from Tusk, that’s the same Sara we’re talking about and she just has some experiences that she’s talking about. I don’t really want anyone to know whether I’m going into her room or she’s coming into mine, or what’s in the room. This room is an ominous room. I’m not Bob Dylan, but every once in a while I’ve gotta say something.
But no I've never heard her imply that they were mediocre songs before.

Last edited by michelej1; 05-09-2020 at 08:33 PM..