Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Other Side Of The Mirror

It's interesting to see this Nicks album getting reconsideration now. I've seen articles citing "Ooh My Love" and "Ghosts" as being Nicks classics 'buried' on TOSOTM, as well as positive comments about "Rooms On Fire", "Juliet", "Long Way To Go", "Two Kinds Of Love", and "Whole Lotta Trouble".

When the album came out it wasn't that well received, but I thought at the time it was better than WILD HEART or ROCK A LITTLE. Initially it seemed to sell less, going Gold the year it was released whereas RAL had gone Platinum, but over time TOSOTM was certified Platinum as well.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember when the album came out, and there was a lot of buzz around it. 'Rooms on Fire' got a lot of airplay. Unfortunately, the momentum was lost when 'Two Kinds of Love' and 'Whole Lotta Trouble' didn't chart. Still, 'Rooms' did well in Europe, she got to tour there on her own.

The tour was pretty extensive (I saw the shows at Great Woods in MA and at Saratoga Springs, NY.). A lot of girls in the audience dressed up as Stevie looking very 'Sisters of the Moon', and held up signs saying things like 'Forest of the Black Roses'. The tour merch (the shirts, tour book, etc.) was very well designed, probably because Stevie's no-talent brother Christopher wasn't in charge yet.

It was my first time seeing Stevie solo so it was a thrill, but looking back now, she was a mess. She was a zombie on stage thanks to her meds (she only came alive during 'Stand Back'), and she wore those bulky big shoulder padded cloaks and those ugly little hats.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

TOSOTM gets little love around here. I love the album especially the first side. Side 2 is where the problem comes IMHO. I agree with the OP that this was such a step up from RAL. I remember driving home in the car listening to the tape. Rooms on Fire followed by Long Way to Go (probably her biggest rocker), then eventually Ooh My Love and Whole Lotta Trouble. It took me awhile to appreciate Two kinds of Love and Ghosts but I love those songs today. Two Kinds of Love is Stevie's lust song as she called it. She rarely writes sexual things and this is as sexual as she gets (Two kinds of Love, one for the way you walk i.e. lust after him). She explained it on Rockline and I totally got it once she explained it. The album is extremely autobiographical about fighting drug addiction, bad relationships and dating rock stars.
Cry Wolf, Alice and I still Miss Someone are total duds IMHO. Stevie had enough material to not need to do Cry Wolf and I still miss someone.
One of my all time favorites is "Doing the best that I can" OMG yes the song is repetitive and almost robotic but that's the feel of the song it can put you in a trance.

Compared to RAL her voice was so much better and it was nice to hear real drums again instead of drum machines and superficial music. Does the album have a little of 80's cheeze? Of course! But nothing like RAL
Not as good as The Wild Heart but at least it was Stevie writing her own songs again compared to RAL.

Now the tour was a total disappointment. Short set, zonked out on stage, and one of my least favorite set list and bands she has toured with. As many reviews said, the opening act The Hooters put on a better show.
OUCH!
Old 04-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
TOSOTM gets little love around here. I love the album especially the first side. Side 2 is where the problem comes IMHO. I agree with the OP that this was such a step up from RAL. I remember driving home in the car listening to the tape. Rooms on Fire followed by Long Way to Go (probably her biggest rocker), then eventually Ooh My Love and Whole Lotta Trouble. It took me awhile to appreciate Two kinds of Love and Ghosts but I love those songs today. Two Kinds of Love is Stevie's lust song as she called it. She rarely writes sexual things and this is as sexual as she gets (Two kinds of Love, one for the way you walk i.e. lust after him). She explained it on Rockline and I totally got it once she explained it. The album is extremely autobiographical about fighting drug addiction, bad relationships and dating rock stars.
Cry Wolf, Alice and I still Miss Someone are total duds IMHO. Stevie had enough material to not need to do Cry Wolf and I still miss someone.
One of my all time favorites is "Doing the best that I can" OMG yes the song is repetitive and almost robotic but that's the feel of the song it can put you in a trance.

Compared to RAL her voice was so much better and it was nice to hear real drums again instead of drum machines and superficial music. Does the album have a little of 80's cheeze? Of course! But nothing like RAL
Not as good as The Wild Heart but at least it was Stevie writing her own songs again compared to RAL.

Now the tour was a total disappointment. Short set, zonked out on stage, and one of my least favorite set list and bands she has toured with. As many reviews said, the opening act The Hooters put on a better show.
OUCH!
This is my favorite of her solo albums. It was the first one I heard and I was hooked. I couldn’t agree more with everything you said here EXCEPT I do love Alice.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
This is my favorite of her solo albums. It was the first one I heard and I was hooked. I couldn’t agree more with everything you said here EXCEPT I do love Alice.
I like "Alice" also. It has a slow-tragic vibe to it, and that great line " 'Better run for your life!' cried the Mad Hatter"
Old 04-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
I like "Alice" also. It has a slow-tragic vibe to it, and that great line " 'Better run for your life!' cried the Mad Hatter"
She and Rupert Hine really made the whole “Wonderland” vibe come through, not only on Alice, but the whole album IMO.