The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:27 AM

OK, guys, I'm getting close to making a determination here. I know you've all been wondering. Come on, admit it.

I was listening to Tusk on the way to work. I have to say, it was almost like having a weight lifted off you musically. While SYW has some brilliant stuff, it's almost too intense. The music slaps you around, grabs you by the ankles, let's you hang upside down, tosses you from left to right, spins you and pins you.

Of course, that's cool in many ways.

But there is something terribly reassuring and comforting in the simplicity of Tusk. Even the textures of songs like Storms and Sara seem far more tasteful than the glossy stuff that appears on SYW.

I'm thinking maybe production was a little much on some of SYW. Interestingly, that's never bothered me about Cradle, nor did it bother me about Tango. The only problem with Tango now, in retrospect, is its 80s sheen.

Then again, in five years I may look at SYW and feel the same way about it as I do about Tusk now. But for now, Tusk remains on top.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
OK, guys, I'm getting close to making a determination here. I know you've all been wondering. Come on, admit it.

I was listening to Tusk on the way to work. I have to say, it was almost like having a weight lifted off you musically. While SYW has some brilliant stuff, it's almost too intense. The music slaps you around, grabs you by the ankles, let's you hang upside down, tosses you from left to right, spins you and pins you.

Of course, that's cool in many ways.

But there is something terribly reassuring and comforting in the simplicity of Tusk. Even the textures of songs like Storms and Sara seem far more tasteful than the glossy stuff that appears on SYW.

I'm thinking maybe production was a little much on some of SYW. Interestingly, that's never bothered me about Cradle, nor did it bother me about Tango. The only problem with Tango now, in retrospect, is its 80s sheen.

Then again, in five years I may look at SYW and feel the same way about it as I do about Tusk now. But for now, Tusk remains on top.
I totally agree with all of this CV. Tusk has a feeling about it which is superbly unique, and forever will be. Say You Will is a great album, and separately, all the songs, with the exception of Silver Girl, are fantastic. However, just like Fleetwood Mac itself, for Tusk the whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts.

Old 05-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up I agree Carne...

Tusk is a MASTERPIECE!! Stevie's songs are soooooo good on Tusk, they are her collective FM songs masterpiece. She peaked on the album, IMO. Lindsey's songs are so unique and wierd, they go off onto tangents and out in left field somewhere...when I listen to Tusk, I'm all "Um, Lindsey, where did ya go?" LOL When I listen to SYW, I go "DANG, Lindsey, THERE you are!!" So, I get what you mean, Carne in terms of soothing vs. manic. LOL

Although, it's hard to compare an album from 1979 (a classic) to this new album (not YET a classic) and we need a good 10 years I think to REALLY compare the two. Stacking it up against songs of today (LMAO...yeah, right...it's HEADS ABOVE ANYTHING on the radio right now...my bad. LOL) is gonna be easier later down the road.

I love Tango and it's 80's (appropriate) sound. It DOES sound a tad dated at times, but overall, it STILL has a unique sound to it. BUT YET, some albums you NEED to sound like a particular decade because we would get confused!!
Old 05-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think that the true sign of a great piece of work is one that you can listen to at any time and in its entirety. I can't sit through SYW as an entire album...I either find myself skipping around to specific songs or just skipping the majority of the Stevie songs. On the other hand, I've been listening to Tusk a LOT lately and I can't get enough of it. There's something for everyone on that album and as eclectic as it is, it fits together well. After almost 25 years, it still holds up and can get in my head like most other things can't. I've been singing "The Ledge" for about three straight days now, enough said...

Ali
Old 05-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think both albums kind of stand on their own. Its hard to distinguish between the two in regards to which was best. At the time when Tusk was put out yes, it was the "new" sound that Lindsey put out there. Its not one of my favorite albums from FM. I really love OOTC. But back to the Mac. I like how Lindsey incorporated his style with a little of Stevie's and a little of the Mac's. Say You Will is a great album and shows how they have grown....

Tamara

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Maybe now he could prove to her... That he could be good for her... And they should be together.." --SN