The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Funny you should mention "When She Come Down". I think I really am stetching it with this one...but I hear "DW Suite".

"We'll all go to meet her" = "We will all go together"
"When she comes down" = "Never ever be afraid"

Unlike some of the outright direct melody lines that were used in more than one song, these are just little things I hear and sometimes sing one part over another in my head and it fits...this isn't what i would call direct recycling though Does anyone else hear what i do in those two songs?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Underground recycles that brilliant guitar part from Love Minus Zero

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the point of this post, (correct me if I'm wrong) is not songs that might sound similar, but actual fragments from songs that are exactly repeated in other songs.

The You do or You don't---> Bleed to love her is probably the most obvious.

The other day I had 5 or 6 in my head, I have to go back and listen.

One that I didn't see mentioned occurs on the same album....Not So Funny--->I know I'm not wrong.

I'll get back on some of the others I came up with.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Oh and When She Comes Down practically IS Treason

This is the Time=Come?

Mick
This is the Time and Come seem to come from the same vibe clearly, but I'd have to look at the guitar part I don't think it's an exact copy.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So, are y'all thinking these are intentional recycles? Most of these comparisons I think are just the result of Lindsey's style and honestly, his limitations by his own admission, more or less. It's what he does, how he plays and where his fingers and ear subconsciously go to when he picks up the guitar.

Then there are moments when those little riffs and runs morph into something else, ie: Brushes into NGBA.

He has recycled lyrics sometimes - "face in the glass", "someone's gotta change your mind" and when he's borrowed Stevie's "mirror in the sky", "drown in the sea".

Can someone please tell me how they hear "Stephanie" in anything else though? I have never been able to hear that, unless we're speaking of the inevitable use of the same chord progression.

By the way, I'll throw one out there -- I thought pieces of "Sleeping Round the Corner" reminded me of "DW Suite", but I think it's just the background beats and other little nuances.

Last edited by CADreaming; 12-05-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
I think the point of this post, (correct me if I'm wrong) is not songs that might sound similar, but actual fragments from songs that are exactly repeated in other songs.
I agree. I think the point is actual song fragments, such as the example I provided.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
Funny you should mention "When She Come Down". I think I really am stetching it with this one...but I hear "DW Suite".

"We'll all go to meet her" = "We will all go together"
"When she comes down" = "Never ever be afraid"

Unlike some of the outright direct melody lines that were used in more than one song, these are just little things I hear and sometimes sing one part over another in my head and it fits...this isn't what i would call direct recycling though Does anyone else hear what i do in those two songs?
I hear it, too! It reminded me of DW Suite right away!
I think there are a lot of similarities between 'Go Insane' and 'Wrong' also.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
He has recycled lyrics sometimes - "face in the glass", "someone's gotta change your mind" and when he's borrowed Stevie's "mirror in the sky", "drown in the sea".
I always assumed Stevie borrowed "mirror in the sky" from Donovan's version of To Try For the Sun.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well I started this thread about EXACT recycled fragments, yes, but then I am to blame for it morphing into what I hear in terms of similarities where you can hum parts of one song over part of another and it fitting. Sorry that I veered off of my own original concept! LOL. I am glad though that people DO hear what I hear in some songs. BUT, I do still want to make a list of the EXACT fragments. And I can't believe I forgot about "Not That Funny" and "I Know I'm Not Wrong"! YES!

Also "Stephanie" is easy to hear in "Bang The Drum" and "Eyes Of The World". In "BTD" it's slowed down a lot, but trust us, it's definitely there!!

I agree that maybe a lot of it is just Lindsey's style and where his mind goes with things..BUT then there are definitely the outright exact fragments re-used, and that isn't because Lindsey has "limitations", but instead I think years later he might think that part of one song fits better in another song. I don't know how many people here are fans of ABBA, but the guys who wrote for that group actually did the same thing on occasion -- recycling song fragments because it worked out better in another song to their ears. A friend of mine once told me that is "lazy and unoriginal" but I disagreed and thought it was intriguing, and it gives me a kick to place a song in another song!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
By the way, I'll throw one out there -- I thought pieces of "Sleeping Round the Corner" reminded me of "DW Suite", but I think it's just the background beats and other little nuances.
Hadn't thought of that. Maybe it's because I don't listen to it with the album and it remains fresher, but I think SATC is particularly hot. I want to hand clap.

Michele
Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I always thought the guitar part that begins 'Lola, My Love' was similar to the guitar part that begins 'Loving Cup', only faster.
I can hear that...sort of.

If you listen to the live verson of "Lola (My Love)", the intro IS the fetus of "The Chain".

And, somehow, I can't quite put my finger on it, "On The Wrong Side" (from the With Honors soundtrack) & "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" seem to be spawned from the same sonic gene pool. (and, "On The Wrong Side" also sounds as if Lindsey was trying to re-write McCartney's "Mull Of Kintyre")

Last edited by chiliD; 12-05-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
..and when he's borrowed Stevie's "mirror in the sky"

No. That would be Stevie borrowing (liberally) from Donovan.

Quote:
Can someone please tell me how they hear "Stephanie" in anything else though? I have never been able to hear that, unless we're speaking of the inevitable use of the same chord progression.
The signature guitar riff is 99% identical on "Stephanie" & "Eyes Of The World" (except one is acoustic guitar, the other is electric (well..multiple electrics).

And, that signature "Stephanie" riff IS kind of hidden by severely slowing it down and playing it on a synth rather than guitar in "Bang The Drum. But, it's there...once you hear it, it jumps out of the mix.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

The signature guitar riff is 99% identical on "Stephanie" & "Eyes Of The World" (except one is acoustic guitar, the other is electric (well..multiple electrics).
And, that signature "Stephanie" riff IS kind of hidden by severely slowing it down and playing it on a synth rather than guitar in "Bang The Drum. But, it's there...once you hear it, it jumps out of the mix.
Can I get an amen!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Originally Posted by chiliD
If you listen to the live verson of "Lola (My Love)", the intro IS the fetus of "The Chain".

I absolutely hear that! I forgot about that, but every time I hear the beginning of this song, I do think I am about to hear "Listen to the wind blooooow."..Haha

Last edited by AbbiJoy78; 12-05-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I always assumed Stevie borrowed "mirror in the sky" from Donovan's version of To Try For the Sun.
Quote:

True. I didn't even know Donovan's song existed until Lindsey did Try for the Sun. So, that would be like totally like Lindsey to bring it full circle.

Quote:

Ok, gotta take another listen. Thanks, ChiliD.

But, as a musician, don't you agree that Lindsey may not even be aware he's reusing some of these riffs? I know I've found myself working on a song, think something sounds great and totally original, but familiar in some way then later realize I've either ripped off a popular song or that it's actually similar to a tune I had already written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Hadn't thought of that. Maybe it's because I don't listen to it with the album and it remains fresher, but I think SATC is particularly hot. I want to hand clap.

Michele
Haha! I can't help but think of Not Fade Away, Michele. That song always makes me think Stevie's singing over some of Lindsey's solo work. Buddy who?