The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Junior Ledgie

I had to find a Danny Kirwan topic to post on, because I am going through a Kirwan kick right now listening to everything of his that I have my hands on.

The only solo record I have is Hello there big boy! Which I found at a record store in Ann Arbor, which I was very surprised to find. Anyways I was wondering if One-sided love was a danny kirwan original and what the lyrics were.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have Second Chapter and need to get the other solos. I like Danny better than Jeremy and Peter (as a singer). I know some people won't agree with that!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I have Second Chapter and need to get the other solos. I like Danny better than Jeremy and Peter (as a singer). I know some people won't agree with that!!
He was a great player (and singer) - College of Distributive Trade 1969 as well as one of the shows spring 1970' s (can't remember which one right now) are essential...

/z
Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutYou View Post
I had to find a Danny Kirwan topic to post on, because I am going through a Kirwan kick right now listening to everything of his that I have my hands on.

The only solo record I have is Hello there big boy! Which I found at a record store in Ann Arbor, which I was very surprised to find. Anyways I was wondering if One-sided love was a danny kirwan original and what the lyrics were.
Don'know if Danny wrote the song (Jeremy, if you read this, any clues?), sadly it has never been published on an official album.
Anyway, here are the lyrics (quite simple):

One sided love, is the outcome of you and me
I do all the giving, while you're still around, so contentedly

One day you say you love me,
The next day you ever wanna know
I can see you laughing,
If you love me, please let it show

Guitarsolo

While you're still around, so contentedly.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Ledgie

I don't have the "Ram Jam City" CD. Is there some good '70s photos of Danny in the booklet?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussion View Post
I don't have the "Ram Jam City" CD. Is there some good '70s photos of Danny in the booklet?
No. There are basically no photos to speak of...
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi! Last night I listened to the Second Chapter album, just to know something about Danny's solo work. Wow, I still can't believe how he changed! Sounded more like Bread or Dr. Hook than the Danny of Fleetwood Mac.
I really loved Odds & Ends, Hot Summer Day, Second Chapter, and Best Girl in the World, and I think Lovely Days and Cascades have a little FM sound. I know maybe I'm wrong! I want to read your opinions about this album.
So, I'll start my search for more...
Regards!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love Second Chapter as well. Very beautiful arrangements and tasteful guitar playing, not to mention a great voice. Midnight in San Juan is interesting. It sounds like Kirwan got himself a backing band and played synth all over it too. Hello There Big Boy sounds more like the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac to me. I don't know how much Kirwan actually played on this record due to his declining health, but his voice is still pretty solid.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Maybe because most reviews of the Munich Incident concentrate on the affect it had on Peter, not Danny.
At the time ,or shortly after ,the story circulating was definitely that only Peter had been there ,that he had been" kidnapped" and because he was on his own they were able to dose him with damaging amounts of , and /or defective , LSD and he was never the same again . Therefore ,the Peter Green Man of The World documentary was a complete revelation ! By his own account,Peter enjoyed it, and thought he made some of the best music ever (Not Jeremy's view in the doc!) And it turns out Danny was there too ,and according to Jeremy ( in one version of the doct at least) they- he and Mick and others -went to "rescue" them and both Danny and Peter had facial paralysis symptoms (indicating stroke or similar )in the car on the way back!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Just in case they haven't been listed before, here's the Rupert Brooke's poem 'Dust' from where Danny obtained the lyric's:

Dust
by Rupert Brooke (1887-1915)
[B]When the white flame in us is gone,
And we that lost the world's delight
Stiffen in darkness, left alone
To crumble in our separate night;

Now ,I don't claim to be the authority on every pop/ rock song ever composed .but Danny must be pretty unique in setting established poems to music,especially those written some generations previously ,in a rock group context , mustn't he ? And so young to be doing it! You could understand a wise 50 year old with some experience of life doing it So lets give him credit for this .

Last edited by THD; 03-13-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I think if Danny was the Stones replacement guitarist instead of Mick Taylor, he too would've died over thirty years ago.
I think you are very right Slipkid I don't think being in the Stones did any favours for Mick Taylor's health or general well being (he is still an excellent guitarist though ! )

Last edited by THD; 03-13-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

My favorites of Danny's songs are:

1. Station Man
2. Purple Dancer
3. Jewel Eyed Judy
Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
At the time ,or shortly after ,the story circulating was definitely that only Peter had been there ,that he had been" kidnapped" and because he was on his own they were able to dose him with damaging amounts of , and /or defective , LSD and he was never the same again . Therefore ,the Peter Green Man of The World documentary was a complete revelation ! By his own account,Peter enjoyed it, and thought he made some of the best music ever (Not Jeremy's view in the doc!) And it turns out Danny was there too ,and according to Jeremy ( in one version of the doct at least) they- he and Mick and others -went to "rescue" them and both Danny and Peter had facial paralysis symptoms (indicating stroke or similar )in the car on the way back!
The Munich story is complete BS. If Green really went mental in Munich 3/70, *****WHY DID FLEETWOOD MAC ASK PETER GREEN BACK TO FILL IN FOR JEREMY SPENCER ELEVEN MONTHS LATER?***** I've watched all the Syd Barrett documentaries. Syd Barrett was GONE after a weekend with acid mid 1967. Peter Green was not that person. Peter Green was just sick of being a rock star. The music Spencer heard in Munich in the basement was something called "Krautrock", German progressive rock music. That's why Green after Munich wanted to solo with a wah pedal. Not that he was crazy, he LIKED IT!! Did Green eventually break down mentally? YES, but it wasn't when he was with FM. Mick Fleetwood has lied for years to protect his legacy. It all came down to Peter Green wanting to give away a percentage of their earnings to charity (in Mick Fleetwood's mind....PG is crazy). Mick Fleetwood said no. Peter Green decided it was time to leave.

Danny Kirwan's story is more like Jimmy McCollough, except Danny just drank. Jimmy OD'd on heroin. That would've been Kirwan's fate had he chose the Rolling Stones in 1969 vs. FM. While Danny Kirwan is living from hostel to hostel in Europe, Jimmy McCollough died in 1979 at the age of 26. Danny still wanders Europe.

Last edited by slipkid; 03-16-2013 at 01:18 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
While Danny Kirwan is living from hostel to hostel in Europe, Jimmy McCollough died in 1979 at the age of 26. Danny still wanders Europe.
Is Danny traveling through Europe? I thought he was living in a sort of half-way house in England. Can you tell me what you know? I'm hoping if he is wandering through Europe that he is enjoying himself.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Danny Kirwan's story is more like Jimmy McCollough, except Danny just drank. Jimmy OD'd on heroin. That would've been Kirwan's fate had he chose the Rolling Stones in 1969 vs. FM. While Danny Kirwan is living from hostel to hostel in Europe, Jimmy McCollough died in 1979 at the age of 26. Danny still wanders Europe.
Speaking of Jimmy McColloch, I've always thought (after hearing Danny's first 2 solo albums) that he would've been the perfect lead guitarist for Wings. Of course, it wouldn't have been all that democratic, but Danny probably would've gotten at least ONE song per album (like Denny Laine got)...I can definitely hear a LOT of Wings (and Beatles) influence in his song "I Can Tell" from Midnight In San Juan and most of Second Chapter is quite "McCartney-esque". He & Paul may have gotten to be a fairly good songwriting team...of course nothing tops Lennon/McCartney, but McCartney/Kirwan may have been pretty darned good.