Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peacekeeper - What Do We Think?

Now that Peacekeeper has been posted (thanks a million Sara)maybe we can move on into another thread and describe what you think of the track.

I believe this is a Lindsey solo version and maybe the Fleetwood Mac version will sound a little different, maybe with Stevie's voice as a harmony on the chorus.

I like the song, especially whilst reading the lyrics, the song flows very well, would love to hear Seteca's and the other musicains here on The Ledge take on this.

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 01-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is a very well crafted song with the facilities Lindsey had at his disposal at the time, drum machines etc.

It has a very strong melody, good lyrics and most importantly it is radio friendly. The only major downside I can find (which is mostly selfish on my part) is that there is no real solo. However the upshot of this is the song is very strong and powerful all the way through. The lack of dynamics within the song is quite unusual for Lindsey.

It sounds perfect for a Buckingham only album but I suspect it will be changed (or spoiled depending on your view) with Stevie adding some backing vocals and harmonies. Personally I don't think it needs it, it's very strong as it is. I do think it will be a hit as long as they don't mess with the song too much.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it. I hope that there are some Stevie backing vocals on it, so it doesn't sound like a song just by Lindsey.(and no-one else really involved in doing anything with it)
Old 01-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, this is all Lindsey. I love the drum kicks which do sound programmed, and not like Mick's work.

I'm hoping the album version will be a bit different just so I can have an excuse to listen to this version.

The song is well crafted and perfected. I think this would make a good first single if you added some Stevie in the background.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

kodachrooooooome give us those nice bright colors gives us those greens of summers makes you think allll the worlds a sunny day ohhh yeahhhhh

that's what it sounds like to me

but i like it
Old 01-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think between the time I downloaded it and now I've listened to this song probably about 50 times. It is fantastic!

There are very few songs that I "get into" DURING my first listen, but this was one of them.

The opening country style guitar riff has Fleetwood Mac (more specifically, Lindsey Buckingham) written all over it. The bassline is quite plain at the moment, and I can almost already hear John's eternally awesome signature bass in its place. The main electric guitar is tonally identical (with possibly just a bit more distortion/overdrive added) to the guitar used in "Thrown Down" - that classic "Isn't It Midnight" Lindsey tone, it seems to have become Lindsey's signature studio tone.

Lindsey really is the master of "less is more" isn't he! The simple E-B, E-C, F#-D, F#-G-F# single notes under the vocals are what makes the song, in my opinion. They're what gives the song that sorrowful yet hopeful mood.

As Madformac said, as a guitarist I must rather selfishly say I wish there would be a huge guitar solo in ANY LB song, but somehow the lack of one in this song seems to be the musically right choice: it all fits together perfectly the way it is and that mini guitar solo that goes along with the final chorus is awesome. My favourite part has to be that fret 22(->24) bend at 3:00...from a guitarist's point of view my ears aren't usually expecting anything higher in pitch than a 21->23 bend and I like it when I get surprised like that. Again, not technically difficult, but fits that final run of the chorus SO well!!!

My favourite single thing about the whole song: those "Gift Of Screws" voice machine generated "laughs" during the chorus. The way they fill those gaps in the chorus so perfectly.....inspired.

The song is, again as Madformac said, very radio friendly, and more importantly, it sounds really FRESH (even though it is now 2 years old.) The Fleetwood Mac version which we will hear on the new album will undoubtedly sound even newer: the combination of Lindsey's, Stevie's, Mick's and John's talents here will in my opinion result in one of the best songs on this upcoming album.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up Peacekeeper - It's A Keeper!

Well I for one love it. I skimmed the lyrics when they were posted earlier, but I didn't examine them closely. My first thought after listening to Peacekeepr was - "Wow, between this and Murrow, Lindsey really is exploring unchartered territory." Fleetwood Mac, for the most part, have stuck with themes of love, loneliness, and stardom/success. I'm surpised to see such a politically fueled song. But I like it, alot. And could this song be any more appropriate for the world right now?

I do expect we'll hear some additional lyrics from Stevie, but hopefully she'll just be hovering in the background. I think this one is pretty damn close to perfect now.

I burned this onto a CD with Thrown Down and have listened to them back to back several times today. They flow perfectly and it just makes me even more excited about what we have coming.

Mike B.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, it is great and refreshing hearing Linds sing about more topics instead of the cliched ones about Love. I love these political songs he is doing now.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Like I posted elsewhere...

I like the song more than I do "Thrown Down" (It kept skipping as I listened to it...frikkin internet...) so I would like to hear it stay basically the same on the upcoming album...Brian "Dont take my Kodachrome away" J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default WOW

This song is EXCELLENT, and I don't just gush about everything Lindsey Buckingham puts out either. It's got such a strong melody and it moves so well. I like it much better than Thrown Down (althuogh I like Thrown Down!) and a lot better than almost all of the GOS demos I've heard.

It rocks! I really don't know what Stevie could add to it, except become a member of the background chorus.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Couldn't wait...

I did not download Thrown Down (not one of my fave SN demos anyways...) but I HAD to listen to this...come on, it's LINDSEY!! LOL I love it, I have been listening to it continuously for over an hour now...it's country/rock/pop/AWESOME! That last line "take no prisoners, only kill..." gives me CHILLS!! This song should DEFINITELY be a single, and on the radio and on VH1...PLEASE GOD, let there be a video for this song...but only if Lindsey gets lip-synching lessons. I agree with the cliched love songs...kinda sick of them...I mean, I'm not all for a whole political album or anything (YIKES!!), but it's a nice change of pace to hear a different issue in a song besides love.

BTW, like MFM and seteca, I was looking for a SEARING guitar solo, but yeah, I think that would overdo the song...there is this one guitar part that has me going back to it..it's a very "80's" sound....and I FRICKIN (seteca..hehe) LOVE IT!!! It's at 2:32...listen for it...it's COOL!!!!!!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 01-16-2003 at 12:36 AM..
Old 01-16-2003, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL @ Christy for her commentsd on Lindsey and lip synching.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Peacekeeper - It's A Keeper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Fleetwood Mac, for the most part, have stuck with themes of love, loneliness, and stardom/success. I'm surpised to see such a politically fueled song.
I may be the only person who *doesn't* think "Peacekeeper" is about world politics, but is rather about the "politics of love" (as corny as that may sound).

To me, it's about the search for love... it's about finding it, and trying to keep it.
A relationship can be like a political scenario, because it's all about making the right choices at the right times, so that both parties can come to an "agreement."
You have to learn which compromises you're willing to make, and which you aren't.

Lindsey talks about the consequences of our actions...
"We make all of our suns the same... every one will suffer the fire we've made. They all explode just the same... and there's no going back on the plans we've made...."

He also talks about the self-defeating behaviour we sometimes engage in, when we get cold feet....
"Only creatures who are on their way... ever poison their own well."

Later, he sings....
"You know all of our friends are gods... and they all tell us how to paint our face.
But there's only one brush we need... it's the one that never leaves a trace."

Friends are offering advice... telling you what you should do, and shouldn't do. Telling you to stay, or to go.
But, in the end, it comes down to you... and if you make the choices that are truest to your heart, then you won't have the burden of regret.

"When the night is cold and still... when you thought you'd had your fill.
Take all the time you will... This is not a test, it's not a drill.
Take no prisoners, only kill."

Those lines refer to caving in to our fears. You feel like you can't handle it anymore, and you're contemplating throwing in the towel. Love just doesn't seem worth all of the pain and hurt.

That last line... "take no prisoners, only kill...".... is definitely one of the most fascinating things he's ever written, and is kind of cynical.
If you're out to find love, then do what you have to do, to find it. Like the old saying says, "you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs."
He's saying that we're going to hurt people, we're going to screw up, but you can't be afraid of those things, otherwise you'll never find what we're all seeking... and that's love and acceptance.

"Don't be afraid to fight... love is the sweet surprise...."

Well, at least that's how I interpret the song.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Peacekeeper - It's A Keeper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
To me, it's about the search for love... it's about finding it, and trying to keep it.[...]Well, at least that's how I interpret the song.
I absolutely agree with your interpretation. I never thought it was about politics anyway... knowing the story of this band and the interests of the songwriters, it would have been kind of a shock to me. But reading the lyrics I can only agree with your interpretation, Johnny.

Song of the moment - Peacekeeper
Old 01-16-2003, 04:50 PM

I would agree with Johnny and Christian before I knew "Murrow" ever existed. Or even the song that goes by "Shuffle Riff." Those are political songs, as is "Peacekeeper."

The references to war paint and the "something we can sell" line are the giveaways. Lindsey is pissed off about what's going on in this country (and the world), and he is telling us that. Shortly after the impeachment of Bill Clinton, Lindsey expressed disgust with the state of politics. It was the first time I remember him addressing political issues.

I am glad that he's writing about this stuff. I hope we get more.

Having said all that, I think Johnny's interpretation works too. But I am going to opt for the political interpretation.