Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Buckingham/Nicks & Post Chris

Ok Ledgies... With the upcoming tour on the horizon, I'm sure we're all thinking, "What
songs are they gonna do?" Does anyone think a Buckingham/Nicks song
will be resurrected? Does anyone think they're gonna do any "life-support" Christine
songs? What do YOU think?
I'm fantasizing they'll bring back "Let Me Down Again" and prophesizing they'll "have to do"
"Don't Stop".
(BTW, I can't spell)

celestenadia
Old 09-12-2002, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well if any BN tune is dug from the pile of moth balls, I hope it is Frozen Love.

I just adore that song!
Old 09-13-2002, 12:41 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I could see this next tour going two different ways: the onstage implementation of back-up something to the degree of any other show. Something like the Dance, at the very least, with all the back up girls. This fuller sound could do justice to the old and new material on its own merit but especially in the absence of Chris' magical harmonies.

Or it could be raw as raw, with the GOS output signifying Lindsey's most audacious and comprehensive 'return to the important things'.

I certainly hope it's the former. They can give a top class modern performance, and Lindsey can take moments to use just his guitars and his/Stevie's voice.

I can feel a lot of Landslide, acoustic Gypsy... Maybe not Frozen Love - in that Sports Bar show he mentions how he needs the guitar specially fixed or something? idunno much about guitars.

I guess alot depends on how Stevie's new material has been worked. That's what I'm really waiting for!!!

As for the Hit legacy of Christine... "just doing Don't Stop" would be a mockery!! I would love to here a real testament at the end - Why!! I don't know how they'd do it, butit would be great. Stevie could easily sing those vocals!

Even Stevie singing the vocals to Songbird as Brett or whoever plays piano. It just wouldn't be right without Songbird!!!!!!!!!! As many like wetcamelfood, chilliD have pointed out about the "Very Best of FM" CD, Christine's output comprises at least a third of the track list; further, it's her songs that get the lion's share of radio play (at least here in Brisbane).

What do you guys think about Stevie singing vocals on Christine songs (where the vocal isn't too exertive, like YMLF)? I think it would be fantastic.

In fact, his voice has no doubt changed, but when you listen to Don't Stop, etc, Lindsey's and Christine's voices are so similar. Maybe Lindsey can help out keeping the flame of perfect songwriting alive!

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 09-13-2002 at 05:49 AM..
Old 09-13-2002, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
acoustic Gypsy...
Now that is a good idea!

As for the Buckingham Nicks songs, well... I'm drooling at the prospect of hearing any of them live.

Laura.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hey Laura!

The acoustic Gypsy - not my idea!! It's this mp3 bootleg from the 2000 or 2001 AHI Benefit! It's great - IMHO prolly better than the Dance version. I'm not really the person to transfer songs with - different time zones make it a bit tricky. If I stumbled on it in Morpheus or something, i m sure you can get it in Kazzaa or from a kind US Ledgie!
Old 09-13-2002, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile JOE

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
As many like wetcamelfood, chilliD have pointed out about the "Very Best of FM" CD, Christine's output comprises at least a third of the track list; further, it's her songs that get the lion's share of radio play (at least here in Brisbane).
Well, I agree with what YOU'RE saying Rodeo anyways and I can't speak for ChiliD on this or anything but I don't remember saying anything like this (at least not directly).

In all honesty, I've only looked at the tracklisting for the "Very best of" collection once and that was when it was first posted here and it was only to see if I could clean up some of the rare tracks in my collection and as it turns out I can't, this is why I won't be buying it.

I never actually counted out "who has more songs than who" and all of that or anything. To be blunt, that is of no interest to me. Things like say, for instance, the studio version of "Silver springs" (and the like) didn't "clean things up" (in my way of looking at it as a collector) because I would still need to hang on to the Chain box anyways for the other tracks on there that are unavailable elsewhere etc. The only previous CD I "could've" ditched in favor of this was the '88 GH (as this has ALAYF & NQA on it as well) but I've decided to hang on to that one instead because I figure, if I have to hold on to one CD for two songs, it might as well be JUST a single CD rather than have 2 CD's with a disc's worth of stuff I already have in a more condensed way in my collection. JMHO though.

I've read/heard other collectors talk this way about collecting and those that oppose it say things like "how can one CD "clutter up" your collection?" The fact is that when one collects as feverently as we do things could GET cluttered up with other redundant releases (in regards to FM collecting, this isn't to say we "shouldn't listen to other artists" or anything like that but tackling this topic alone...). There are many artists that have releases whereby this comes in to play but just to give an example then with, let's see, like say, (just due to his recent unfortunate circumstances, he's in my head right now...) the "Best of Warren Zevon" CD. Some FM collectors like to get these things as it has "Werewolves of London" as well as some of the SN/LB related tunes from Warren's selftitled 1976 album but those that collect like me would not bother with such a release as in order to have ALL of the songs Lindsey/Stevie are on from the "Warren Zevon" album, we would need to get that selftitled one anyways so I guess it's a matter of how you choose to look at it. I myself am a minimalist so this is why I skip what I deem as "redundant" releases. If the "Best of Warren Zevon" HAD included all of the LB/SN songs from his selftitled 1976 album along with "Warewolves..." (and it wouldn't hurt if it had "The overdraft" as well! ) THEN I would consider swaping it for the "regular" albums etc. This rings true (for me) for this "Very best of" FM CD as well (as described above) I'm afraid.

This is not to say anyone else should think this way, I respect anyone who collects in the more exhaustive fashion so I don't think anyone "should think like me" on this or anything, it's just how I look at it though I could see how it may come across as being "negative" towards this collection. It really isn't meant that way. I'm glad that many of you are looking forward to it and I hope it serves your own FM collection needs well.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-13-2002 at 07:27 AM..
Old 09-13-2002, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Sorry John

Hmm yeah I wasn't sure who exactly had talked about Christine's work being a major portion of the album then her being unprepresnted on the tour. I was too lazy to check. Sorry..pretty dodgy.

"It's Kurns you idiot!"
"No it's not!"
"Disregard."
Old 09-13-2002, 08:08 AM

DownonRodeo:

Sorry, buddy, I can't see Stevie singing Christine's songs. That would be a mockery. Don't Stop is all we're going to get because Lindsey can sing that one. And if anything, Lindsey could probably sing Christine's songs far better than Stevie. His voice is pretty adaptable to Christine's stuff.

WetCamel:

I won't be buying this best-of CD either. There is too much good stuff coming down the pike: Petty's new record, the Stones' new compilation, Steve Earle's new CD. And I also want to get the Hives' record. And, by the way, I got rid of my Greatest Hits CD long ago. Then, someone gave me another copy, and I sold that one too!
Old 09-13-2002, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So the enhanced stuff isn't even enough to change you guys' minds?

I thought would be new and different enough to justify all you cynics (sarcasm) getting it! lol!

Don't you want to see the lead in promo stuff about the new CD?

And BTW, I'll be getting the new Petty and Stones, too.
So don't any of you guys ask for money. I'm broke.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile SULAMITH

I think it was David who said it, (and if I'm wrong David, I'm sorry by the same token as Rodeo, no problem for me by the way Rodeo! ) but I'd have to agree with David that I'd be surprised if the "live footage" wasn't stuff from "The dance", Mirage tape, Tusk doc etc. and even if it is "new" (stuff we don't already have) footage, I doubt it will be a complete song and if it is a complete song, they will probably have some of those audio interview clips over the top of it which bug me til no end (shut up and let us here them play!). Hopefully, I'll get more favorable news here about the video footage when it does come out but going by past experiences, I can't get too excited, I'm sorry.

Also, most "enhanced" CD's I've come across anyways have maybe a music video on them or something else that might add up to like 20 minutes of video footage time tops if the CD is of short running time (which these CD's don't appear to be, but giving them the benefit of the doubt for the purpose of this point of view of mine...) but not too much more (in other words, not too much running time available in total for video footage). Although interviews can be interesting to hear once or maybe a few times tops if I didn't catch something the first time, I personally don't collect and/or watch them over and over again so that would leave the "live performances" which I've already discussed my reservations about. That leaves a possible "music video" which I could get complete and "un overdubbed" on VH1 when they air it and I can tape it myself for free (virtually). JMHO though.

As I say though, hopefully someone will give us the news here when it comes out that it does have some of these things I personally want on here and then I might consider it but if our past experiences with WB/Reprise (or whoever it is that makes these "contents decisions") is anything to go by, I won't hold my breath.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-13-2002 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy you know what i'm gonna miss.....

not only have i never seen the 5 live, but since chris won't be there, i won't get the chance to hear "songbird" live. i mean, do you think they will still close the show with that song now that she won't be there?

mimi
Old 09-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ty, no I really hope they don't close with Songbird. I just have a real "that was then this is now" kind of hope for them. As I have said before, I am hoping for some shake-ups in the set list, and Chris not being there ( as sad as that is) will hopefully force their hand on it! lol!

Chris considers FM a part of her past now, and those songs will just have to be relegated to the back burner for now........but, let's just look at it this way.....it's on to another phase of the Mac, and I am excited about that!

Carne, I agree with you, although for different reasons, that Stevie should not sing Christine's songs. I want to hear S&L and their wonderful "timbre" together as Keith Olsen described it. There will be plenty for them to sing together.......such as, EVERYTHING!! Oh yes!

wetcamelfood, I hear what you're saying, and I undserstand where you are coming from, but I have been watching scratchy snowy tapes for long, I just get all tingly at the thought of a CLEAR copy of the Gypsy or Hold Me music vids!

I guess it doesn't take alot to make me happy, huh? lmao!!
Old 09-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile SULAMITH

I hear ya on the snowy tapes etc.! I guess it's just my minimalistic code coming through again of "I'd have to keep this videotape of FM music videos I have anyways (etc.)".

So, this WOULD be the perfect time for them to put out a music video compilation DVD to help along the sales of the "Very best of" CD but I'm sure they'll manage to screw that up as they missed that chance last time with the Chain box (AND the time before that with the '88 GH) so it stands to reason they'll balk at this chance of doing that this time too!

John
Old 09-13-2002, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since they did "Don't Stop" for Clinton's farewell party without Chris, I think they'll probably keep that in the set...Lindsey, apparently, did the lead vocals throughout. I would think he could also pull off the lead vocals on "Think About Me", too (after all, that's included on the VBoFM set coming out)

I think we all can rest assured that "Songbird" will no longer be in the set. They didn't play it on the 1994/95 tour without Chris, so, I assume they won't play it next tour, either. My hunch is that they might stick "HAEWAFY" or "Say Goodbye" in "Songbird"'s spot.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldnt be at all surprised if they even dropped Don't Stop. This will be the tour to add some old favorites with the new. Taking out Chris's songs will give Stevie and Lindsey the Buckingham/Nicks reunion that is so over due.