Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ok, don't slap me, but...

It just dawned on me......
Why is Go Insane on this VBoFM CD set?
It is a Lindsey solo song, and even though he has done it with FM alot, Stevie also did Stand Back with them, and I know alot of folks would just die if a Stevie solo song ever got on a Mac CD.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad it is there because the acoustic version has been previously unavailable as an official release.....hmmmm

or have I just answered my own question?
Old 09-12-2002, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hi there,

I imagine "The Powers That Be" wanted to include "Go Insane" because this acoustic version received a lot of critical acclaim, and many were disappointed that it wasn't included on the CD release of 'The Dance.'

As for "Stand Back"... the live version that can also be found on Fleetwood Mac's 'Tango In The Night' video release, was included on '25 Years - The Chain.'
And to go back a little farther, FM included one of their performances of the Buckingham Nicks tune, "Don't Let Me Down Again," on 'Fleetwood Mac Live.'

So including a song that originated on one of the members' solo projects isn't entirely without precedent.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for answering me, johnny. I think I am the thread-killing queen around here.

Is there any official release of Stand Back with Lindsey playing on it?

I have such a cool theory about what that song is about, I would love to have a copy of that!
On the Tango video it is Billy and Rick, right?
Old 09-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hi again, Sulamith!

Yes, the 'Tango' video/'The Chain' boxed-set version of "Stand Back" features Rick and Billy.

There are no "official" releases of "Stand Back" that feature Lindsey's guitar-work, but the Westwood One syndicated radio network broadcasted the Irvine, CA. show from the Dance Tour, and that one can be found pretty easily thru various Mac traders.

IMHO, that version is kind of weak though.
But maybe that's just me.

take care!
Johnny Stew
Old 09-12-2002, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Well...actually...

...Lindsey really didn't play on "Stand Back" during the Dance tour...he spent most of the song over at Chris' keyboards strumming when he remembered he had to (he mostly was trying to distract Chris from playing whatever keyboard parts she was playing; again, Brett Tuggle played most of the keyboards on the song, as well)...Neale Haywood played 99% of the guitar parts on "Stand Back" that tour.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Ledgie

.....It may also be due to the fact that lindey only had three or four singles with the mac and they felt that they should include another song of his in order for his music to not get lost in the large amound of Stevie and Chris songs. The fact that it was a staple on the Dance tour may also contribute to the decision to put it on.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
he mostly was trying to distract Chris from playing whatever keyboard parts she was playing
I don't understand this line. Why would he distract Christine from playing? That seems a little odd to me, unless I'm not reading this right. The only reason I could think of is that he didn't want to do a Stevie solo song, which by The Dance I would assume he wouldn't care.

As for what I have of Stand Back from The Dance, and I can't remember which show I have (it's the one where Stevie says after The Chain "we're glad we're home"), it's not the best of Stand Back that I've heard. I'm not really even too impressed with Stand Back during Tango...the only reason why I really like these two versions that I have is that they are the most up-tempo copies of this song. I guess Mick really gets into the song, because there's a clear difference of the tempo during Mac tours and during Nicks solo tours.

I admittedly tend to think that they shouldn't have included IGI in a Very Best of Fleetwood Mac collection, but then again, they've obviously focused on the Rumours lineup yet included ALAYF and NQA. It really doesn't matter that much to me though...I'm just glad they are back in action, or at least most of them.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Every night on the Dance tour during Stand Back, Lindsey left his usual spot on stage and would stand over next to Chris and her keyboards. Sometimes they'd speak to each other a little or share a giggle. I think that's what Chili might be referring to.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

EX...ACT...LY what I was referring to.

I noticed that a few times during the song, both Lindsey & Chris would stop playing altogether and whisper into each other's ears, turn their heads toward Stevie, then start laughing...as if they were making fun of her or something. It was almost correographed since they did the same thing two different nights I saw them.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yea i have 3 or 4 Dance concerts on video..and they did that all the time,lol...there is one performace...maybe one of the NJ ones..that is really good..now i am going to have to go dig them out and look,lol.

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 09-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Since we all perceive things in a different way, someone else might have had a different impression when witnessing that... but if it really played out as described, then it sounds a bit rude and undignified of Lindsey and Christine, if you ask me.

But with Fleetwood Mac, who knows? Maybe they were purposely adding some drama into the proceedings.

Johnny Stew
Old 09-13-2002, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh look... someone's stirring the pot again.

I for one am extremely pleased that The Dance version of Go Insane will be on the compilation. I've wanted a decent copy of that on CD for a while now.

Laura.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:14 AM

When I saw Fleetwood Mac at the Nassau Coliseum in 1997, Stand Back sounded awful to me -- really bass-heavy and disjointed. Then again, on other songs Lindsey's guitar was low in the mix. I especially noticed that on Bleed to Love Her, which was a real bummer. In comparison, Lindsey's solo tour had perfect sound, and I'll never forget how amazed I was at how good his band sounded. Here's hoping Fleetwood Mac gets a better sound technician on the next tour.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have heard more than a few people say that about the Dance tour.

I hope the sound is better too, but I AM going to be so far up front it won't matter!!
Yes, ticket brokers, here I am, your dream customer.....I might as well have "sucker rabid fan" tattooed across my forehead.

Hey, I am just thrilled this thread hasn't died.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonnaGypsy
Oh look... someone's stirring the pot again.

I for one am extremely pleased that The Dance version of Go Insane will be on the compilation. I've wanted a decent copy of that on CD for a while now.

Laura.
It *was* realeased as an add-on to the Silver Springs single along with Over My Head and Songbird. That's how I got mine. It is a better mix than the DVD in my opinion, but you'd have to be an audophile to hear the difference.
-Brian