Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Majority Rules

I was thinking about something today...

How do you say with a straight face that you fairly gained a majority of the vote when two of the five members did not know you were taking a vote?

It's arguable that if Christine had been there and sided with Lindsey, John's vote - which they admit took convincing - would have swung the other way.

Perhaps it wouldn't have, but the fact that they waited for Christine and Lindsey to leave without telling them they were going to vote means they themselves must not have been sure. But we know that, realistically, any "majority" that did not include Stevie would not have "ruled."

So Mick needs to shut up with the "majority rules" justification and own up to the fact that he and Stevie engineered this. If they feel Lindsey's firing was justified and they acted appropriately, then they shouldn't be ashamed to say so. Stevie and Mick should declare that as the band's founder and its most marketable member, they felt that they had the right to take the reins.

But perhaps they know, deep down, that what they did was indeed something they should be ashamed of.

Last edited by sodascouts; 05-18-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Old 05-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Nancy, you inspire me

Majority Rules
Copyright 2018 Welsh Witch Music

When I see Mick again,
As I always do,
It appears to me that
Majority rules!
And the two of us are ruthless with the votes we choose
It's not being a quintet,
It's just following some rules
Made by two fools...

I like other guitarists,
I like Mike.

I want to dance around the house for the last decade of my life.

It's like working for a washed-up drummer;
The McVies are bickering,
Like a pair of snakes, tired of little lies.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Majority Rules

When I see Mick again,
As I always do,
It appears to me that
Majority rules!
Made by two fools...

I like other guitarists,
I like Mike.

I see you haven't lost your touch, Joe!

Old 05-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Majority Rules

When I see Mick again,
As I always do,
It appears to me that
Majority rules!
Made by two fools...

I like other guitarists,
I like Mike.

Not bad... but the demo was better.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Majority Rules

When I see Mick again,
As I always do,
It appears to me that
Majority rules!
Made by two fools...

I like other guitarists,
I like Mike.

This is lovely.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Not bad... but the demo was better.
Before Lindsey ruined it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Majority Rules

When I see Mick again,
As I always do,
It appears to me that
Majority rules!
Made by two fools...

I like other guitarists,
I like Mike.

I like it better than the original!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I was thinking about something today...

How do you say with a straight face that you fairly gained a majority of the vote when two of the five members did not know you were taking a vote
Sodascouts, I think it's important to remember that no one on this forum truly knows what went down when Lindsey was fired. Everybody is speculating, but no one really knows. Just because someone says it was only Mick and Stevie's decision to fire Lindsey doesn't mean it's true. Trying to formulate theories based on casual comments is fruitless, such as the decision supposedly being made while Christine was out of the country. Even if true, she still had a voice and a choice in the matter. The fact she's still with FM tells me she ultimately agreed with the decision to fire Lindsey.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Sodascouts, I think it's important to remember that no one on this forum truly knows what went down when Lindsey was fired. Everybody is speculating, but no one really knows. Just because someone says it was only Mick and Stevie's decision to fire Lindsey doesn't mean it's true. Trying to formulate theories based on casual comments is fruitless, such as the decision supposedly being made while Christine was out of the country. Even if true, she still had a voice and a choice in the matter. The fact she's still with FM tells me she ultimately agreed with the decision to fire Lindsey.
I agree we don't know exactly what went down, and we should be careful not to present theories as facts (myself included).

However, unless Christine is not telling the truth, she and Lindsey were not part of the vote. That is a matter of record.

Thus, when Mick repeatedly says "majority rules," he is being disingenuous. "Majority rules" implies that they all discussed firing Lindsey, with each side presenting its case, and then they all voted. However, according to the CBS interview, they waited until two of the members left, neither of whom even knew this vote was going to take place.

I therefore am unmoved by the claims of "majority rules."

PS Look at it this way. If Lindsey had called John and said "Hey, I've got Christine on the other line. Three of us are a majority. Let's vote out Stevie. Once we make our decision, we'll let Mick and Stevie know the outcome." Would that have really flown?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I agree we don't know exactly what went down, and we should be careful not to present theories as facts (myself included).

However, unless Christine is not telling the truth, she and Lindsey were not part of the vote. That is a matter of record.

Thus, when Mick repeatedly says "majority rules," he is being disingenuous. "Majority rules" implies that they all discussed firing Lindsey, with each side presenting its case, and then they all voted. However, according to the CBS interview, they waited until two of the members left, neither of whom even knew this vote was going to take place.

I therefore am unmoved by the claims of "majority rules."

PS Look at it this way. If Lindsey had called John and said "Hey, I've got Christine on the other line. Three of us are a majority. Let's vote out Stevie. Once we make our decision, we'll let Mick and Stevie know the outcome." Would that have really flown?
I don't think so. I think that in the end, Stevie holds the cards in FM and Mick lets her because he has a bunch of ex-wives and kids and failed business ventures. If she really wanted Lindsey out then he's out, whether he managed to get a majority in his favor or not.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I don't think so. I think that in the end, Stevie holds the cards in FM and Mick lets her because he has a bunch of ex-wives and kids and failed business ventures. If she really wanted Lindsey out then he's out, whether he managed to get a majority in his favor or not.
Exactamente
Bingo
Ding Ding Ding
We have a winner
Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I a actually agree with this. My question is, doesn't Mick have the right to make decisions about the band in order to make an income? I know some people are saying Mick should have called it quits with the band once the decision was made to fire Lindsey, but he and the other members need to continue to make money, and they do that by touring. Mick and John, especially, can't make income by recording, like Lindsey, Stevie, and Christine can. They need the tour, and if keeping Stevie over Lindsey meant a guaranteed income, are he and John really being selfish?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I a actually agree with this. My question is, doesn't Mick have the right to make decisions about the band in order to make an income? I know some people are saying Mick should have called it quits with the band once the decision was made to fire Lindsey, but he and the other members need to continue to make money, and they do that by touring. Mick and John, especially, can't make income by recording, like Lindsey, Stevie, and Christine can. They need the tour, and if keeping Stevie over Lindsey meant a guaranteed income, are he and John really being selfish?
Well if Mick didn't manage his finances so horribly he might not be so dependent on the touring money but yeah you're mostly right. I think John is probably secure but Mick needs money and it's probably not so easy to call him selfish for needing to sustain his livelihood. Maybe he even feels a little guilty about it, who knows. It just makes them look bad. Taking the easy way out instead of fighting for the band legacy to not be tarnished the way it has. And Stevie should never have put them in that position to begin with. Whether she has issues with him or not, it's just a selfish thing to do. There are a lot of people affected by this beyond just her. Lindsey has his own family that's clearly been very hurt by this to name one group of people.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When Mick says majority rules, perhaps he considers silence as implied agreement. There was time between when the decision was made and when it was announced to the press for John or Christine to raise a voice of objection. Maybe they were scared they would be banished too. I don't know. But "they weren't consulted" doesn't fly with me. If they were angry and upset, they should have said so and would have had plenty of time to say so before the decision was made public. Hell, it would have been more difficult after it was public, by John and Christine could have come out united as one saying "this is a terrible decision" or "I won't play in a band that treats long serving members as replaceable". BUT THEY DIDN'T!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well if Mick didn't manage his finances so horribly he might not be so dependent on the touring money but yeah you're mostly right. I think John is probably secure but Mick needs money and it's probably not so easy to call him selfish for needing to sustain his livelihood. Maybe he even feels a little guilty about it, who knows. It just makes them look bad. Taking the easy way out instead of fighting for the band legacy to not be tarnished the way it has. And Stevie should never have put them in that position to begin with. Whether she has issues with him or not, it's just a selfish thing to do. There are a lot of people affected by this beyond just her. Lindsey has his own family that's clearly been very hurt by this to name one group of people.
Exactly. Her decision was very selfish and unnecessarily hurtful to many people.