User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
My issue is with the fact that they are starving this woman to death. How inhumane is that?
I can't get past this either...
Old 03-19-2005, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter678
She was 26 when she had a heart attack. How many people at that age actually have a living will?
I do.... I had it drawn up when I was 25. If you're that age and married, what better time to do it when you're young and mentally sound? You're right, though. Most people that age don't think of those things.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see both sides...all I know is I wouldn't want to live that way. The ONE video they show of Terri was made by her parents. Several doctors have come forward to say the parents were there dozens of times with the balloons trying to get a reaction.......they testified it was purely coincidental that she smiled when the balloons were held up to her...she was NOT reacting to them.
I do agree, starving someone is inhumane but it is done every day in this country and they do say that Terri cannot feel pain like we do and will not feel the starving process. Whether that is true, I do not know but that is what the experts say. The whole case is heartbreaking with no winning answer. Letting her live and allowing her parents to care for her sounds ok in theory but what if that is not what Terri would have wanted? Maybe she would not want to be a burden on her parents or more importantly be artifically sustained when she has no quality of life?

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
The whole case is heartbreaking with no winning answer. Letting her live and allowing her parents to care for her sounds ok in theory but what if that is not what Terri would have wanted? Maybe she would not want to be a burden on her parents or more importantly be artifically sustained when she has no quality of life?
this is all true, but the way the want 2 let her die is awful, & how do they know she cannot feel pain, has any1 comeback from the dead who was in a similiar situation & said it was a painless way 2 live & or die?~ i just pray 4 her~
Old 03-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really hope that she is not aware and so will not suffer. In this sort of situation I think the medical community should consider an injection because I agree that to starve/thirst someone to death is inhumane. I understand the need to remove the feeding tube though, I would not want to live that way for sure. I hope she is at peace as well.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
I do.... I had it drawn up when I was 25. If you're that age and married, what better time to do it when you're young and mentally sound? You're right, though. Most people that age don't think of those things.
That's really the one good thing that can come from all of this -- People realizing the importance of making their wishes known and drawing up a living will, no matter their age.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
I really hope that she is not aware and so will not suffer. In this sort of situation I think the medical community should consider an injection because I agree that to starve/thirst someone to death is inhumane. I understand the need to remove the feeding tube though, I would not want to live that way for sure. I hope she is at peace as well.
I'm pretty sure that they're going to pump her up with some massive doses of morphine to try to ensure that she's in as little pain as possible.

It does sound pretty awful to let her starve to death, but the only legal way is to remove artifical means of supporting her life, and that means removing the feeding tube.

And Curtis' point is a good one; who would take care of her after her parents die?

The whole thing is just so sad...

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 03-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
The ONE video they show of Terri was made by her parents. Several doctors have come forward to say the parents were there dozens of times with the balloons trying to get a reaction.......they testified it was purely coincidental that she smiled when the balloons were held up to her...she was NOT reacting to them.
Exactly. And the snippets of video they released were edited down from over four hours of footage.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Yes - how sick is it that we use lethal injection for capital punishment in most cases, and the best we can do for this helpless woman is to let her starve to death?

Its not like Terri is on a ventilator or anything like that. The only reason she will die is because she can't swallow.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 03-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Horrible situation

May she die in peace because it's already been too painful for her.

I don't know if my parents have a will or not and they are both in their 50's. My dad will be 60 next year, I'll be 30 and I don't have a will either. Of course, I don't own anything of value. LOL I'm not sure what I would want done to me if I had something of this nature happen. God knows our hearts and I don't think He wants his children to suffer.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Deb is planning...

on picking up a living will through her employer on Monday...We both have the same opinion that if one of us was to be severely injured and left in a permanent vegatative state that it would be best to let our family members know we decided to not be placed on life-support.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Isn't letting (making) her live a bit on the inhumane side? This is not a case of interest over here in Australia so I know no more than I've seen mentioned, but isn't her husband claiming that she requested her death anyway? Even if she didn't, I would still consider it inhumane.
Michael Schiavo was awarded a jury settlement years ago. He said that he would use the money to take care of his wife Terri for the rest of her life. Then, not too long after he was awarded the money, he said that he suddenly remembered watching a movie about the Karen Ann Quindlan case (she was on a ventilator) and his wife commenting that she would not want to live like that. Nice timing, MF.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It appears that Congress has opened the door to another avenue for the reinsertion of Terri's feeding tube:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...woman_congress

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 03-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a pretty unbiased overview of this whole situation, if anyone is interested.

http://abstractappeal.com/schiavo/infopage.html

Old 03-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would think that her life would have to be sustained at any cost, since she doesn't have a living will. No one else should be able to make the decision if she should live or die, except for Terri. To think that they are "killing" her by taking away her food and water is very disturbing to me. It would be more humane to give her a lethal injection if she is left to starve to death. God bless the Schiavo family.