User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesummers View Post
Aren't these just the WAV files from the CD?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool No...I'm guessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
these files are from the vinyl source, I checked and the wav files sound more brighter than my compact disc copy.

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-30-2008 at 02:27 AM..
Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd guess they from the CD that comes with the vinyl that has the same master as the vinyl version. Yes? No?

My copy arrived in the post yesterday so I'll be heading back home at the weekend to blast the vinyl copy real loud and then bring the CD version back with me to university so I can still listen to it.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default LP Label

Mine came yesterday via Amazon.com. While I definitely had no problems with the standard release, this CD is noticeably better in sound quality. I love it!

Here is a scan of the CD and the label on the outer plastic sleeve. The CD seems to be printed the same as the standard release except that is does say "promotional only, [etc]"

--- GRUNO ---
www.StudioGruno.com
Old 09-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
these files are from the vinyl source, I checked and the wav files sound more brighter than my compact disc copy.
Correct. These are the uncompressed tracks and they absolutely sound MUCH BETTER than the compressed CD.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting them. This will stave off my impatience until the weekend when I get my copy. Cheers!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
for example, I compared the size of the vinyl versions "Great Day" (32.7MB) to the compact disc versions data size (32.4MB) so the loss of data due to compression was only a 0.3 degradation, but I am at a loss for words to explain how that 0.3 explains HOW much warmer/rounder/fuller the vinyl version in comparison sonically. But the spectral graph's I used (ie foobar2000) show the obvious that the vinyl is the superior in dynamic range.
My version from the normal CD release is 32.7MB so there's absolutely no difference in them at all. On all the files I checked they are exactly the same in size to 8 significant figures, which must mean they're the same thing. I wonder why I'm not getting the same discrepancy as you?

I'll wait until I can play my own copy on a really good system (since that's what it's made for) but I wasn't expecting the ones from the audiophile CD to look exactly the same in wave form. I was expecting it to be quieter as well, I guess.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
My version from the normal CD release is 32.7MB so there's absolutely no difference in them at all. On all the files I checked they are exactly the same in size to 8 significant figures, which must mean they're the same thing. I wonder why I'm not getting the same discrepancy as you?

I'll wait until I can play my own copy on a really good system (since that's what it's made for) but I wasn't expecting the ones from the audiophile CD to look exactly the same in wave form. I was expecting it to be quieter as well, I guess.
It's doubtful you would hear the differences between the 2 CDs. Unless you have some nice B&W speakers or some Viennas, in a room specifically designed for monitoring, I doubt it.

Compression in CD format tends to...how to say this..."identify" noise (or sound) which are more or less unperceived. In other words...parts of the track which would be hard to hear. Usually its in the higher frequencies (the Tss tss tss tss sound a hi-hat makes on a drum kit). At the same time, sounds that are drown out by louder noises or sounds (a loud guitar power chord or a cymbal crash) tend to get pushed back down too. As they say in audio land...those particular sounds get coded with less accuracy, or they just plain aint coded at all!

That may sound a bunch of gobbledy gook...but there you have it.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But I was under the impression that this CD that came with the vinyl was meant to have a totally different master to the normal CD release - that was the whole point of having the "audiophile" CD with the vinyl - but it seems to be exactly the same master job as the "compressed" CD.

Did I get the whole point of this wrong and they're not actually talking about dynamic compression?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But I was under the impression that this CD that came with the vinyl was meant to have a totally different master to the normal CD release - that was the whole point of having the "audiophile" CD with the vinyl - but it seems to be exactly the same master job as the "compressed" CD.

Did I get the whole point of this wrong and they're not actually talking about dynamic compression?
that was my point...unless its MIXED different, or you have top of the line audio equipment (and I dont mean stuff you can get at Best Buy) then you probably wont hear the difference. Then again, I could be dead wrong.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Minus "Great Day"

Quote:
all the data file sizes were exactly the same. Could be that the method I used (foobar2000) miscalculated the file sizes ...So probably just a error in the calculation.

Update: Tried using foobar2000 again and the data size this time was 32.7MB...so I guess I messed up when I did a 'glancing' of the results yesterday...My bad!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-30-2008 at 06:37 PM..
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
that was my point...unless its MIXED different, or you have top of the line audio equipment (and I dont mean stuff you can get at Best Buy) then you probably wont hear the difference. Then again, I could be dead wrong.
So you're saying this CD isn't less dynamically compressed? When it says "includes CD of the uncompressed vinyl master plating" what sort of compression does it mean? If it's not less dynamically compressed then what's the point in making a big deal of it? I thought it was all about things forgetting about the loudness war was why this was "audiophile" (I could have totally misinterpreted it though) Tom Petty did the same thing but the CD released with his was a more dynamic master than the comercial release was intended to be.

I guess I'm just confused about what exactly the CD's meant to be offering since it doesn't seem any different to me. I'm still reserving judgement until I can listen to it on a really good system this weekend. It's the vinyl I got it for anyway so whatever the deal with the CD it's no biggie.

Can someone who has the vinyl/CD combo answer me this: Does the vinyl version sound better than the CD that comes with it? Does vinyl "magically" make things sound better?

Last edited by Peestie; 09-30-2008 at 06:29 PM..
Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool My understanding...

Quote:

was that it was supposed to be a uncompressed version of the vinyl, using the uncompressed master transferred to compact disc. But if the files are the same size than is that truly a uncompressed source? If they are the same then in a sense isnt that (technically) considered "false advertisment"? (Assuming that the version of the compact disc that arrived in the sleeve with the vinyl LP is the same uncompressed master used for the corresponding LP - I use assume since it can make an ass out of me, LOL!!!)

I'm sure if one has a system that is STRICTLY for the audiophile they may hear the difference. I know when I played the version posted on this thread it sounded warmer to me on my system (Which is a monstrosity combination of 3 JVC systems coupled and altered with a Sony & TEAC) and to my ears.

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-30-2008 at 06:40 PM..
Old 09-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(Assuming that the version of the compact disc that arrived in the sleeve with the vinyl LP is the same uncompressed master used for the corresponding LP - I use assume since it can make an ass out of me, LOL!!!)
I assumed it was. Otherwise why bother having it there?

Anyway, I can't judge it on this system so my opinion doesn't really mean much at this stage!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I agree with you...

Quote:
I assumed it was. Otherwise why bother having it there?
because otherwise ordering the set could be considered a waste of time (For basically 2 copies of the same release - Unless one is a vinyl collector of course)