Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine's album - Christine McVie

If you haven't bought this album, you should. It's got a lot of good songs on it that sound like Fleetwood Mac. I pulled this out the other day and have been listening to it since. It's a good album. Got A Hold On Me, The Challenge, Love Will Show How and Ask Anybody... are infectious. Can't quit listening to it.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

I agree. Lots of subtle gems on this LP. Its a good listen at work or just passing time.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 AM

You can definitely hear where a lot of FM sound comes from.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree too, I have the vinyl and it's a very good, easy listening album! Got a hold on me, Love will show us how, Who's dreaming this dream and So excited are my fav songs in it!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like about half of the album a lot. The other half seems like a missed opportunity for growth and exploration.

To my ears, the best tunes on it are "One in a Million," "Smile I Live For," "Got a Hold on Me," "Ask Anybody," and "So Excited." "One in a Million" in particular really sparks.

That's an impressive number for any solo album.

The two verses on "Love Will Show Us How" are pleasing, but the chorus doesn't work for me.

The rest is just bland easy-listening.

I DO think In the Meantime is, on a whole, a far superior bunch of songs.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I really like about half of the album a lot. The other half seems like a missed opportunity for growth and exploration.

To my ears, the best tunes on it are "One in a Million," "Smile I Live For," "Got a Hold on Me," "Ask Anybody," and "So Excited." "One in a Million" in particular really sparks.

That's an impressive number for any solo album.

The two verses on "Love Will Show Us How" are pleasing, but the chorus doesn't work for me.

The rest is just bland easy-listening.

I DO think In the Meantime is, on a whole, a far superior bunch of songs.
The Challenge is a great song, and very Fleetwood Mac. Sorta reminds me of As Long As You Follow...
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Ask Anybody" and "The Smile I Love For" are among Chris' best songs. I also love the cover photograph of this album.

I saw one of the rare Christine McVie solo shows when she was on tour for this album. In 1984, she played The Majestic Theater in San Antonio, Texas. It was a fantastic show and most of this album was played in the set list. The other great thing about her solo show was that she included some OLD FLEETWOOD MAC SONGS (pre-Buckingham/Nicks) in the set list, like "Just Crazy Love" and "Spare Me A Little of Your Love". Her backing band was great and included Eddy Quintela, Stevie Ferrone (Drums), and George Hawkins (bass).
Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Ask Anybody" and "The Smile I Love For" are among Chris' best songs. I also love the cover photograph of this album.

I saw one of the rare Christine McVie solo shows when she was on tour for this album. In 1984, she played The Majestic Theater in San Antonio, Texas. It was a fantastic show and most of this album was played in the set list. The other great thing about her solo show was that she included some OLD FLEETWOOD MAC SONGS (pre-Buckingham/Nicks) in the set list, like "Just Crazy Love" and "Spare Me A Little of Your Love". Her backing band was great and included Eddy Quintela, Stevie Ferrone (Drums), and George Hawkins (bass).
I saw this tour in Cleveland. The show was absolutely amazing.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The Challenge and The Smile I Live For are my two favourites from this album, but it's pretty solid across the board, I think.

The Challenge is just so godawful cheesy that I can't not love it. The moment where she sings "And you're the CHALLENGE challenge challenge..." is just way too much fun to sing.

Unfortunately I always struggle with Chris's albums as a whole and find that I get a bit tired of her style after a few songs in a row, so I do have to split these songs up and scatter them among various playlists in order to really appreciate them.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post

Unfortunately I always struggle with Chris's albums as a whole and find that I get a bit tired of her style after a few songs in a row, so I do have to split these songs up and scatter them among various playlists in order to really appreciate them.
I find this to be the case with all the Mac solo albums, with the possible exceptions of Out of the Cradle and In the Meantime.

There are fine moments on every solo record but only a few of them stand up as complete albums.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I saw this tour in Cleveland. The show was absolutely amazing.
So Jealous!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I find this to be the case with all the Mac solo albums, with the possible exceptions of Out of the Cradle and In the Meantime.

There are fine moments on every solo record but only a few of them stand up as complete albums.
I've never found that with Lindsey or Stevie's solo work, actually. Most of their albums absolutely hold up for me. But I figured some people probably felt the way you do. I can't say I don't understand it.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I've never found that with Lindsey or Stevie's solo work, actually. Most of their albums absolutely hold up for me. But I figured some people probably felt the way you do. I can't say I don't understand it.
I can listen to Bella Donna, Wild Heart, Law and Order, Go Insane, CMcVie, straight through. The rest I have a hard time. In the Meantime is great but has a few duds.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As big as a Christine Mac fan as I am, I haven't really listened to this album much. Guess I need to though!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I can listen to Bella Donna, Wild Heart, Law and Order, Go Insane, CMcVie, straight through. The rest I have a hard time. In the Meantime is great but has a few duds.
Of the ones you mention, I enjoy Law and Order as a record the most. Love it, love it, love it. The others have great moments, and I must have listened to The Wild Heart 400 times the year it came out, straight through. But in the past twenty years or so, I've often found myself imagining what could have been if all those solo albums were combined into annual Mac projects. Those musicians really benefit from working together...

I'm interested to know what songs you feel are duds on In the Meantime. I can probably guess one or two of them. Still, that album is the one I was wishing she had made in 1984! I remember waiting weeks for the release of "Christine McVie," and then being disappointed that it was a little glossier than I wished and not as bluesy. I remember dreaming of the album I wanted and then when ITM came out I said "That's it!--that's the one!"

And "Forgiveness" is one of her best songs. Even if we never get another Christine album, we have that song, that wonderful gem.