Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Glasgow Review

Don’t stop ... Fleetwood Mac wow fans at SECC

Catriona Stewart

Published on 23 Oct 2009

To bow out gracefully or to keep trading on long-since earned laurels.

That must surely be a dilemma for the spate of ageing rockers re-emerging to tour their 30-year-old reputations.

But Fleetwood Mac have put such thoughts to one side and are now in the middle of a world tour, the dates for which would make a younger band exhausted to contemplate.

Having played America and mainland Europe, the group kicked off the UK leg of their tour last night at Glasgow’s SECC, their only Scottish date.

The band are different in that they are not reforming. Fleetwood Mac never broke up but instead worked their way through a remarkably fluid line-up that saw them lose two guitarists to mental institutions and one to a cult.

Their current incarnation includes four from the 1977 Rumours tour; Bassist John McVie, Mick Fleetwood on drums, guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks minus singer Christine McVie, who has chosen retirement rather than

touring with her ex-husband.

They are rowdy, they are enthusiastic and they convincingly vow to get the party started. However, they still look, and there is no way of phrasing this delicately, old.

Fleetwood’s grey beard and Nicks’ witchy dark frock aside, the group performed a slew of hits with energy belying their years and played with powerful conviction.

Nicks’ ethereal tones have dimmed slightly with age but the years have not withered Fleetwood’s drums.

Fans no doubt turn out, not only for the music, but also to see whether the legendary tensions in the group still exist. From the on-stage rapport and affection between Buckingham and Nicks, it would seem not. However, the emotion of the songs is what gives them their edge and stops the re-emergence of Fleetwood Mac from being jaded.

The crowd, who mainly matched the band in years, were beyond delighted with a fast-paced The Chain, an ethereal Rhiannon and a spine-tingling Big Love.

And surely that’s reason enough to keep rolling out those greatest hits.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-e...-secc-1.927956
Old 10-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, that was relatively...nice.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris has chosen retirement rather than touring with her ex-husband. Gee, after touring with him for 20 years following their divorce, she just couldn't take it anymore!

Michele
Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Chris has chosen retirement rather than touring with her ex-husband. Gee, after touring with him for 20 years following their divorce, she just couldn't take it anymore!

Michele
Haha So funny
Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Another Newspaper Review

Fleetwood Mac, review
Can Fleetwood Mac still thrill without the chemical and emotional charges of old? Rating: * *

By Matthew Magee
Published: 4:43PM BST 23 Oct 2009

Glasgow

Fleetwood Mac are almost as famous for the bed-hopping, powder-sniffing emotional trauma they have inflicted on each other over the years as they are for their era-defining monster hits. But with their heydays now 20 and 30 years behind them, can the music still thrill without the chemical and emotional charges of old?

In their most famous incarnation, featuring Lyndsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac were million-selling megastars of soft rock in the 1970s and masters of airy synth anthems in the 1980s.

Nicks, Buckingham and rhythm section stalwarts Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are back on the road touting a greatest hits tour with no distracting new album to promote. “Yet,” said Buckingham, teasing. The expected roar of anticipation petered out almost before it had begun.

The crowd in Glasgow was a muted mirror of the band themselves, reflecting back what they were given. In the many long, baggy, drawn-out echoes of songs that peppered a flabby set they were silent in their thousands, still and mooning at the stage, clapping politely between numbers. But on the few occasions when the band came to life the crowd went off like firecrackers.

Buckingham’s maudlin posturing and hammy vocal theatrics had many on their feet and cheering, while the sudden liveliness of Tusk or the let-rip relief of the bluesy Oh Well brought roars of delight. The likes of Don’t Stop, The Chain and Go Your Own Way were full of real energy.

But for every one of those tracks there was a Sara or a Landslide, in which a listless and heavy-lidded Nicks struggled to push much range or power from her voice. Or an I’m So Afraid, with a bland and seemingly never-ending guitar solo.

The musical star of the night was Fleetwood, whose drumming lent every song dynamics, energy and, in Tusk and the last section of World Turning, some unexpected groove. He looked as if he was having a riot throughout.

It’s a shame his enthusiasm wasn’t more infectious – this canny dinosaur of a band had the good sense and good grace to snap into focus for arresting performances of the landmark songs, but its brio was too often short-lived.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...ac-review.html
Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
heavy-lidded Nicks
I dont even know what heavy lidded means ...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedw View Post
I dont even know what heavy lidded means ...
They mean she looks like her eyes were partially closed. Michele
Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Same Author as the 1st review-worded differently w/ new review

REVIEW: Fleetwood Mac at the SECC

by Catriona Stewart

IT'S been six years since their last world tour but it was like Fleetwood Mac had never been away as they rocked a packed SECC Glasgow.

The foursome are in the middle of a world tour which sees them travel to enough countries to make a band half their age exhausted.

Last night, their only Scottish date among seven UK stops, the band played a slew of greatest hits with energy defying their years.

During their history spanning more than 40 years, Mac have worked their way through an ever-changing line-up that saw them lose two guitarists to mental institutions and one to a cult.

Their current incarnation includes four members from 1977's Rumours tour; John McVie, drummer Mick Fleetwood, vocalist Stevie Nicks and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham.

Singer Christine McVie is the only one missing, having chosen retirement rather than touring with her ex-husband.

The group, now aged in their 60s, vowed they'd get the party started but they look (there's no nice way of putting it) old.

Nicks was in a witch-like lace dress while Mick Fleetwood's grey beard and ponytail make him look like a badly-ageing rocker.

Appearances aside, Fleetwood's drums are as powerful as ever and he even rocked out a 10-minute solo.

They were notorious for their rock'n'roll band bad behaviour in the 70s but when Linsey and Nicks took the stage holding hands it seemed old rivalries had gone.

But the emotional edge to their songs gives the hits their enduring power and stops Fleetwood Mac from becoming jaded.

The crowd, who match the band in years, are beyond delighted with a fast-paced The Chain, an ethereal Rhiannon and a spine-tingling Big Love.

After a rousing version of Go Your Own Way, satisfied fans headed off into the night after a thrilling evening.

Publication date 23/10/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/d...t_the_secc.php

Last edited by vivfox; 10-23-2009 at 03:43 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Some man's review on his blog

I love my live music. Had some of just the best times experiencing human creativity and sharing emotions with complete strangers in dark rooms filled with beautiful live music. Hearing music as its intended, live in front of you, and connecting with it in a much more personal and complete way because of that.

So it was tonight as the lovely G and I travelled through to Glasgow once more to see Fleetwood Mac in concert at the Scottish Event and Conference Center, right by the side of the Clyde and 'the Armadillo', our own wee version of the Sidney Opera House, beautifully lit up and complemented by the equally colourful BBC Scotland headquarters on the other side of the river.

We had seen Fleetwood Mac once before, many years ago, when they were touring some big city down south and had been due to take a ferry across to Dublin but were prevented by a couple of days of storms in the Irish Sea which put a complete stop to any plans for sea crossings. So it was suddenly announced that they were going to do a gig in the only venue available, 'The Playhouse' in Edinburgh. So, with the help of a very supportive boss, the lovely G took a 3 hour lunch to go and queue - Yes, it was that long ago folks - for tickets for her and I and a friend. And that night I both achieved a dream in seeing the band who's music had accompanied and influenced so many of my moods and character for so many years, and experienced a real revelation about just what live music could really bring to you. Ach, I had been to many, and several of them great, concerts but THIS one, just touched me, right at the very core. It was one of those seminal moments.

When we heard that they were once more going to be in Scotland there was no way we wouldn't be going. So, my lovely G set me up with all the info I needed to be on line at the moment the tickets came on sale. Duly in position, I got us a couple of seats right in the center stage area with a view straight on to the hot spot.

Once more it was a seminal night. Now ok, Fleetwood Mac may not be the coolest band in the world, but I DONT CARE. I love them. And again tonight I, we, got to experience some of that magic again, but this time seen from a different perspective, a different time of life, a different me, a different us. But it was just as wonderful. Just as wonderful in such different ways.

Stevie Nicks, voice just the same, dripping smoke and honeyed gravel around the room in that soaring, sultry way that is so unique to her, and Lindsay Buckingham as the perfect foil. The only thing missing, and of course with a sound so familiar, noticeably missing was Christine McVie's voice to complete the spell. Even three good backing singers could not cover for the fact that she wasn't there. But, it was also right, a reminder that ultimately nothing stays the same forever perhaps, and it allowed the band to change and adapt. Isn't that what we do in life anyway? Change and adapt to the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Mick Fleetwood was very, very good on drums and again, Lindsay Buckingham was a complete revelation on guitar. The man is a superb guitarist, and showed us tonight that many of the intros and riffs which I thought were done by more than one guitar were actually done just himself. He also played a couple of acoustic arrangements. His acoustic version of 'Big Love' was absolutely astounding.

It was a night to evoke memories, to make your heart soar and your eyes prick with emotion. To make you listen and to make you think. To take you both into the moment and the past with the creator of the music and the lyric.

No matter what type of music it is that moves you, that's what music should be all about. That's why the best music is live.

Thanks Stevie, Lindsay, Mick and John.

What a night.

Now I'm also really looking forward to the next couple of months before Christmas as we go to see ' The Flaming Lips', 'Snow Patrol' and 'Porcupine Tree'

see you later.....

Listening to Fleetwood Mac ' Rhiannon' What else?

http://crivensjingsandhelpmaboab.blo...for-music.html
Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Scotsman:
http://living.scotsman.com/music/Gig...Mac.5760432.jp

Gig review: Fleetwood MacPremium

23 October 2009, By DAVID POLLOCK
SECC, GLASGOW

THE subtitle of this reunion tour claims we can expect Fleetwood Mac Unleashed, but it might just as easily be considered Fleetwood Mac Lashed Back Together. Few bands have been through such interpersonal upheaval and still managed to take to a stage together some 40 years after their formation. Gratifyingly, old enmities and possible past mistakes weren't just glossed over with a few platitudes.

"(The album] Rumours was recorded when we were going through such emotional turmoil," notes Lindsay Buckingham diplomatically. "So yes, there was a lot of aggression in this song." The following Second Hand News was one of the night's more impassioned tracks, regardless of the band's seeming newfound comfort with one another.

Buckingham, guitarist and often the lone singer, and singer Stevie Nicks still appear to be the kind of polar opposites you'd never normally place together. Nicks is a loveable Bohemian in shawls and floaty floor-length dresses, and bleached-blonde soft focus on the big screens.

Buckingham's thousand-yard stare and gritted teeth give a certain frightening perspective to the fact that he says Big Love described the person he was in the Eighties and that he's now merely an echo of that man. Performed solo, the song is roared, lascivious, almost confrontational.

Next to such huge personalities, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie form a prosaic backlines. Yet they switch with accomplishment between the two Fleetwood Macs on display here: the folksy, sweet feminine pop of Nicks, which runs through songs like Gypsy, Sara, Rhiannon and I Have Always Been a Storm – unplayed before this tour – and Buckingham's gruff, alpha-male rock.

Whichever of the pair is singing, large swathes of pop songwriting excellence eclipse infrequent sections of dated MOR. Before the closing Don't Stop, Fleetwood announces: "We'll see you next time". Once more, we look forward to it.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A long time fan's review

Friday, October 23, 2009
Fleetwood Mac

I have been a Fleetwood Mac fan as long as I can remember appreciating music. I'll admit to a small Abba phase when I got my first tape recorder - I remember recording a concert off the TV - well trying to - we didn't realise you had to press the Play and the Record buttons at the same time. Following that I remember liking Adam and the Ants whenever they were on Top of the Pops. My first crush was John Taylor from Duran Duran and I was rather partial to a bit of Wham and A-ha.

When I was 16 I had my first boyfriend. He had this amazing record player that would play both sides of a record - one after the other - the needle arm went under the record for the second half and one of the albums we would listen to over and over again was Tango in the Night. Every time I hear any of those songs I am taken back to those times sat on the floor in his bedroom listening to those records and (look away now mother) making out. I won't bore you with details of that here though. *blush*

But they were early poppy days. I don't think I ever really appreciated music properly until I was given a couple of compilation tapes by my brother and one of my school friends both trying to change my taste in music and it worked. I was now in Sixth Form so about 17/18 years old. On those tapes I distinctly remember listening to and loving Albatross, Black Magic Woman and Man of the World. All early Fleetwood Mac songs - I was hooked.

I spent the next few years expanding my music taste and buying/listening to a wide range of stuff. Throughout that time Fleetwood Mac has always been there. I have a number of their albums on vinyl and then on cassette. Of course my favourite is Rumours - no-one can miss the emotion in that album. Tusk also became a firm favourite.

I lost interest a bit when the band had a member shuffle and Billy Burnette and Rick Veto joined the band - they seemed to lose some their Rock/Blues feel.

So - fast forward to this year. DH has always known my love for Fleetwood Mac and suddenly sends me an email saying do I want to go and see them at the SECC. Well of course I do. So that was last night. My ears are still buzzing.

The Herald have posted a review of it - but now here is mine.

To set the scene I won't bore you with the history of Fleetwood Mac - I simply don't have time and Wikipedia does a fine job. The line up was Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Now before I went to see the concert I will admit to having pre-conceived ideas of them. Stevie Nicks, to me, always seemed to be a bit weird, a bit out of it and a hippy stuck in '80s clothes. John McVie I always had down as a bloody good bass guitarist. Lindsey Buckingham I will openly admit to knowing very little about and Mick Fleetwood is basically a God. Mick is the one I really wanted to see. In fact I would have paid good money to see him play 2 hours on the drums - but that might have been a little over the top.

Anyway - on with the show. I had a seat up in the Gods - well that's what it felt like. But it was almost central to the stage so the overall view was superb. There were two huge screens for close ups too - so I didn't miss much.
]
This was not a publicity tour for a new album - they openly admitted to it being a Fun Tour to showcase some of their old songs.

I was intrigued by Stevie Nicks' costume changes - she started off with a black floaty/lacey dress which she changed for another black floaty/lacey dress which she changed for a red floaty/lacey dress which she changed for a black floaty/lacey dress. She accessorised with boots/heels/floaty shawls (I was trying to see if they were hand-knitted) and her trademark Top Hat. She totally looks like she fell into the late 1970s/early 1980s gothic era and never got out again. She had a black tambourine and black microphone/stand all dripping with ribbons. She played with the ribbons on her stand throughout the concert. Despite that her voice is still the same - so unique. Her on-stage dynamic with Lindsey was hard to miss. The pair of them openly flirted the whole way through singing a load of songs with/to each other. At one point I felt like I was intruding on some kind of foreplay. Very odd seeing as they are not a couple anymore and Lindsey is married with 2 children. Reading their biographies on Wikipedia certainly makes their relationship sound very stormy.

The whole show seemed to be a Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks showcase. It seemed to all be about them. They did all the talking, mostly about how good it was to be back together and wasn't the past turbulent. The songs they played from Rumours were full of meaning and emotion.

The songs were fantastic - second up was The Chain - probably their best known track and when John gets to do that great guitar riff ..... the camera/screen showed him for about 3 seconds before flipping back to the skirts and the ribbons on Stevie. Very disappointing. Likewise whenever Mick got a good bit on the drums you got a brief glimpse - the audience would roar - and then it would be back to Lindsey/Stevie. I was getting a little annoyed.

At one point Lindsey did a solo guitar/song while everyone else went backstage. I have to admit he was fantastic and he really is a great guitarist..... but I wanted more John and Mick.

It wasn't until the encore that Mick finally got to talk to the audience and played a fantastic drum solo in World Turning. Glorious - but too long in coming. I wanted to see more of Mick. He introduced everyone to the audience (about time too) and reiterated what I could openly see that John McVie was definitely the quiet one in the four. Choosing to stand just in front of Mick throughout the concert and not moving from his spot except to leave the stage/come back on. He didn't say a word.

So - to sum up - as I seem to be all over the place. Fantastic, glorious concert that I am thrilled to have seen. But... too much Stevie/Lindsey and not enough John/Mick.

http://pollianicus.blogspot.com/2009...twood-mac.html
Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For some reason, someone who has
Quote:
been a Fleetwood Mac fan as long as I can remember appreciating music.
Is surprised by:

Quote:
The whole show seemed to be a Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks showcase. It seemed to all be about them. They did all the talking, mostly about how good it was to be back together and wasn't the past turbulent. The songs they played from Rumours were full of meaning and emotion.
Quote:
So - to sum up - as I seem to be all over the place. Fantastic, glorious concert that I am thrilled to have seen. But... too much Stevie/Lindsey and not enough John/Mick.

Isn't that almost a description of every BN-era FM show? And why would you be surprised about any of that?

That aside, thanks for all the reviews, Viv/Michele, you gals rock. I only saw the negative one outside the Ledge so it was good to see some balance.

- Spike
Old 10-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
That aside, thanks for all the reviews, Viv/Michele, you gals rock. I only saw the negative one outside the Ledge so it was good to see some balance.

- Spike
Right. Even before Stevie and Lindsey came along, except for the fact that John used to talk, how much more of John and Mick was the audience getting?? Well, ok they leave for Big Love today (but at least they're there for Go Insane now), but when you take out Big Love, how much less John and Mick are people getting now than they had 40 years ago.

Michele
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I lost interest a bit when the band had a member shuffle and Billy Burnette and Rick Veto joined the band - they seemed to lose some their Rock/Blues feel.
Huh???? When Billy B and Rick 'Veto' joined FM, the band lost the blues feel they'd had in the Lindsey years?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Right. Even before Stevie and Lindsey came along, except for the fact that John used to talk, how much more of John and Mick was the audience getting?? Well, ok they leave for Big Love today (but at least they're there for Go Insane now), but when you take out Big Love, how much less John and Mick are people getting now than they had 40 years ago.

Michele
For real! Thank God we don't have more of Mick and John - there would be NO singing!!!