The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's face it, pot & hash was a whole lot cheaper back in those days.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
While I know it's a thrill to make this claim because it makes for such an easy cheap shot at Lindsey, it still doesn't make it any truer.

Lindsey never compared himself to a starving artist. At that point in the documentary Lindsey was trying to convince Mick that making a double album, which would sell less, shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. He chose an analogy with film makers to try to make this point. As a film maker, one can put out the watered down blockbuster and make money hand over fist, or one can put out something more challenging, and accept that less money will come in, but maybe feel a greater affection and satisfaction about the actual product.

Mick's response, much like yours, was perhaps funny, but not to the point.
And it's a silly analogy for a rich corporate rocker to make knowing full well that he's not going to be hurting for the money, whereas a filmmaker like Todd Solondz hasn't exactly been rolling in cash because of his films and has never found great commerical success. It was disingenuous, especially when he started talking about two room apartments.

And I loathe to agree with Mick Fleetwood on anything.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Pardon me if I don't pretend to know everything these people did in their lives when I wasn't there to see it.
Consider yourself pardoned.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
And it's a silly analogy for a rich corporate rocker to make knowing full well that he's not going to be hurting for the money, whereas a filmmaker like Todd Solondz hasn't exactly been rolling in cash because of his films and has never found great commerical success. It was disingenuous, especially when he started talking about two room apartments.
He never said he'd be hurting for money. He was trying to convince Mick that making less money than they might didn't have to be the end of the world. In Lindsey's place, faced with Mick who is certainly a man who likes to make a quick buck, what sort of persuasive powers might you try? It seems to me Lindsey chose an anology that he thought might appeal to the artist in Mick.

Last edited by Les; 02-11-2005 at 11:44 AM..
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
It seems to me Lindsey chose an anology that he thought might appeal to the artist in Mick.
I didn't know Mick had one. Especially when faced with the prospect of losing money.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't know Mick had one. Especially when faced with the prospect of losing money.
Therein was the challenge. I think besides Lindsey, Mick was the other driving force behind Tusk. That was a time when Lindsey was able to be somewhat persuasive with Mick, and Mick himself was more willing to be a bit daring, and he got into the swing of making Tusk what it was. He had misgivings afterwards, which caused a lot hurt feelings between him and Lindsey, but during the making, I think Mick was into it. Mick's first solo album is a fantastic example of Mick's artist at heart. But I think Mick also considers himself a businessman, so the pull between the artist and the huckster is a considerable one. It's one that Lindsey was trying to break through.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Ummm...

When did the Lindsey Ledge become the dumping grounds?

I had a job once, worked there for four days. I'm a lazy bum. It broke me from ever wanting to work retail again.

He went on the road with the Everly Brothers. That was a job, no?

That's a great question for Lindsey. How many different jobs did you have before you joined FM.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Pardon, but how do we know this is the only job Lindsey ever had?

I think it was pretty cool of Stevie to be out there working consistently when Lindsey most likely wasn't. But let's not go too overboard in the "willing to work all day long" rhetoric either.

In 1998, I believe, during an Off the Record show, Stevie described her waitressing schedule:

"I like doing lunches four days a week for three hours and making great tips, and making enough money to support Lindsey and I so that he could, lay on the floor and play guitar all day, and I could go out and do this for four hours a day, four times a week, and then I had the other three days a week to spend with him, and to spend working on our music."

First she says four days a week, three hours a day and then she says four days a week, four hours a day. Either way, that works out to a whopping 12 or 16 hour work week. Like I said, it was cool of her to do it, but let's also be realistic.
Now now - be fair

La Nicks had to clean houses as well and then come home and care for the brilliantly petulant LB, who was stoned on the floor, and then work on the music What guy would NOT take that gig, esp. when one as hot as La Nicks was willing to do it But - I agree she did not stay at a job at a place of employment all day long.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
But - I agree she did not stay at a job at a place of employment all day long.
At least she went to a place of employment.

Listen, I could really care less about the whole thing, I just simply can't believe that there are those who will not call a spade a spade and say that he was lazy. He couldn't have worked just like Stevie for 12 hours a week and still have made gorgoeus music? I think not. He was lazy and Stevie going out and working only spoiled him. Why the hell would he get a job if he had her for a sugar tit?

Old 02-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
He never said he'd be hurting for money. He was trying to convince Mick that making less money than they might didn't have to be the end of the world. In Lindsey's place, faced with Mick who is certainly a man who likes to make a quick buck, what sort of persuasive powers might you try? It seems to me Lindsey chose an anology that he thought might appeal to the artist in Mick.

He implied it when he said he had a new house and family to consider

In the end, I think LB certainly like to identify with the whole maverick artist image and all that that implies, which ususally, but not always, is the starving artist image, - but he also like the glamour of big time rock and roll all of the luxury that that affords him (who would BTW - I would).

AND - I have no scorn for him for that. It is the way he is - and I love him for it because it has created some brilliant music from the mainstream to the not so mainstream. It just makes me chuckle when he bemoans the very industry off of which he has made a fortune and the one that he seemingly always comes running back to
Old 02-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Diss, just when I wanted to swap Jason for you.......
Did you sign a pre nup

Keep me and take a lover in the afternoon (Gloriaaaaaa)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I hated that part because it's so easy to pick the obvious joke which is not exactly on point and then laugh as if the point does not still stand. He actually never inferred that he'd be the guy in the two bedroom flat, simply that he admired the man who did forfeit the easy, financially rewarded route for the artistically and self rewarding route. He was saying that he'd prefer to make that same choice. The fact that he has enough financial rewards from 10 years of hit songs to live off does not take from the fact that he'd rather make that same artistic choice.
This is the same man who bemoaned the fact that Warners wouldn't release Gift of Screws and then turned around and made it into a Fleetwood Mac album with insufferable Stevie Nicks "songs" tacked on. If he was so concerned with artistic integrity and releasing his art without worrying about money and compromising his vision, he would have released it independently or sought out a small label such as Sanctuary. Instead, he took the commercial approach and feigned shock when the reality sunk in that it was, in fact, a commercial venture and not a very artistic one.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Now now - be fair

La Nicks had to clean houses as well and then come home and care for the brilliantly petulant LB, who was stoned on the floor, and then work on the music What guy would NOT take that gig, esp. when one as hot as La Nicks was willing to do it But - I agree she did not stay at a job at a place of employment all day long.
Be fair? This "brilliantly petulant" LB forever on this damned floor stoned? I'd think the state of being perpetually on this floor might have caused some muscular atrophy. It's amazing the man can still walk.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Diss, just when I wanted to swap Jason for you.......
How you could have married such a high-ranking member of the Stevie Brigade in the first place is a mystery to me. The sex must be fabulous.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is the same man who bemoaned the fact that Warners wouldn't release Gift of Screws and then turned around and made it into a Fleetwood Mac album with insufferable Stevie Nicks "songs" tacked on. If he was so concerned with artistic integrity and releasing his art without worrying about money and compromising his vision, he would have released it independently or sought out a small label such as Sanctuary. Instead, he took the commercial approach and feigned shock when the reality sunk in that it was, in fact, a commercial venture and not a very artistic one.
Ah - but it was artistic to him - I mean he seemed elated La Nicks was coming on board and he said he was knocked out that they were all working together again. So, I think it was an artistic venture, just not one to your liking