The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Good Things (Come To Those Who Wait)

"Another Welch song, "Good Things (Come To Those Who Wait)" was dropped at the last minute (but not before thousands of record sleeves and lyric inserts had been printed) in favor of a song suggested by Weston, the Yardbirds' "For Your Love", which was also released as a single. "Good Things (Come To Those Who Wait)" was never released as a Fleetwood Mac track, but the song resurfaced (albiet in much-altered form) as "Don't Wait Too Long" for Welch's 1979 album Three Hearts .

Original versions of Mystery To Me were released with sleeves showing "Good Things" and the lyric inserts also include that song. Later editions correctly list "For Your Love", but the lyric inserts are deleted altogether." - http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=40&Itemid=53

I find it strange that Good Things was never released as a FM track, even on something such as a box set. Has this song ever been "unofficially" released - i.e. a studio version floating around through fans? I certainly haven't seen it (or heard it) on a bootleg fan compilation - but what do I know?

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know of any, and I'd probably know. Of course, I didn't know about the FG/BT era shows or the Buckingham Nicks bootlegs, either.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Junior Ledgie

Wow...how observant am I? I've been playing the LP all these years and never noticed "Good Things" was listed but is not on the record.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually have one of those early issued Mystery To Me albums. I find it very peculiar that the song has never emerged officially or, more suprising --unofficially. Too bad it didn't make it on The Chain box set. It must be lingering somewhere in the record company vaults. Given that the album was one of their best from that period, I would think that alot of fans, including myself, would be eager to hear it.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suspect Cliff Adams may have something to do with it. Mystery To Me, which I think was their best selling album prior to 1975, was the last official Fleetwood Mac album from the Warner/Reprise years to be issued on CD. (To put it another way, Roadrunner made it to CD before Hypnotized.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Registered

Does anyone have this song? Thanks!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Does anyone have this song? Thanks!
Probably not. I doubt anybody has heard the song since 1973, and none of them, not even Bob Welch, ever really offered any further information about it. Given the legal status of Fleetwood Mac's pre-"Heroes..." albums the difficulty of getting all of the players involved (Cliff Adams, Mich Reynolds, Wendy Welch, and Mick and the McVies), I doubt we'll ever hear it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Ledgie

Fortunately this song is now a bonus track on Mystery To Me, from the 1969-1974 box set. The lyrics are on the insert inside the CD sleeve. The print is so tiny, I had to get out my magnifying glass to read them. The music is quite similar to that of "Bad Loser" from Heroes Are Hard To Find. Both great songs, though, and I'm glad to have decent-quality recordings of them.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLamb View Post
Fortunately this song is now a bonus track on Mystery To Me, from the 1969-1974 box set. The lyrics are on the insert inside the CD sleeve. The print is so tiny, I had to get out my magnifying glass to read them. The music is quite similar to that of "Bad Loser" from Heroes Are Hard To Find. Both great songs, though, and I'm glad to have decent-quality recordings of them.
Yes, about the connection to Bad Loser. The similarity in their musical ideas is discussed in box set thread. I don’t think there is any complicated reason why the song never surfaced until now. It was probably because CM/BW/MF reworked those musical ideas into Bad Loser. The real surprise is why Good Things was dropped while Forever was kept. Good things is a far superior song. My guess is they needed a lighter song in a major key to work in the running order between the eerie Hypnotized and Keep On Going.

Anyway, Bob’s reworking of the song on THREE HEARTS is good—but it lacks the energy of the original.