Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow DISCUSSION: Christine's songs from Bare Trees

Bare Trees has arrived to the Battle of the Songs! This album is probably one of my favorites.

Christine just had 2 songs though : "Spare Me a Little of Your Love" and "Homeward Bound"

Any suggestions on what to do with "Thoughts on a Grey Day"?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have suggestions for "Thoughts on a Grey Day," but they might be deemed a tad extreme

Christine's songs on Bare Trees are stronger than the ones on Future Games, at least in terms of their composition. Her singing on both of them, however, is disappointing. Spare Me a Little sounds too mannered and is a tad too slow. The live versions of this song from 1974 onward correct that pretty well. If, for example, the version from the Sausalito soundboard on the Heroes Tour was what appeared on Bare Trees, I'd that song would rank pretty high in her catalog.

Homeward Bound is another great song, with searing guitar. But her voice, once again, disappoints. Also, some of the instruments sound a but muddy on the mix.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I enjoy 'Spare Me a Little Of Your Love'. I agree that it does sound a little slow, but it's still great!

I like the lyrics of 'Homeward Bound', but it could have been musically better.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Homeward Bound" was better live - the vocal on the studio version is hard to listen to.

"Spare Me a Little" was also great live - love Danny's solo...
Old 10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I truly adore both of Christine's tracks on Bare Trees. It took me a while to 'get into' the album as a whole but aside from Thoughts on a Grey Day, I don't have a bad word to say about it.

Homeward Bound always makes me realise what a truly resiliant and wonderful person Chris is. It has a catchy hook, typical of Christine and I don't have a problem with her vocals, even if they aren't as strong as Spare Me A Little.

Spare Me A Little is in my top 10 F-Mac songs. It's charming, undemanding and again, catchy and a pleasure to listen to

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel the need to pre-empt any hatred for "Thoughts on a Grey Day"

It's neither good nor bad - it's not a song so can't be criticised as one. It is what it is - a poem written and read by a batty old lady from a world a very long way away from this one. Casual abuse of it is a cheap shot, like tripping an infant.

The only thing about it that can be criticised about it is the decision to put it on the album, which presumably was an ~art~ decision by Mick. You either think he was being a div for allowing it on there, or you applaud his appreciation of the quirkiness of it, and it reminds you that, at least in 1972, Fleetwood Mac didn't take themselves too seriously.

/lecture
Old 10-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post

It's neither good nor bad - it's not a song so can't be criticised as one. It is what it is - a poem written and read by a batty old lady from a world a very long way away from this one. Casual abuse of it is a cheap shot, like tripping an infant.

The only thing about it that can be criticised about it is the decision to put it on the album, which presumably was an ~art~ decision by Mick. You either think he was being a div for allowing it on there, or you applaud his appreciation of the quirkiness of it, and it reminds you that, at least in 1972, Fleetwood Mac didn't take themselves too seriously.

/lecture
I kind of like it. It was an interesting choice to decide to put it on an album.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

/lecture
It's true. The poem itself is what it is. I am annoyed as heck that they put it on the album, especially when "Trinity" didn't make it on.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

Trinity should definitely have made it on there - maybe it was too long
Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't agree with the criticisms of Christine's vocals in these two songs. I don't think there's anything wrong with either. In fact, to my ear her vocals are really great for both of these songs. I prefer these early vocals to the overly smoothed out sort of vocal sound you got from the band later on. I'd rather listen to a voice that sounds like it's being sung by a real human being in an actual studio than the sort of multi-layered, every-note-perfect treatment of some of the later albums.

I really love the song "Homeward Bound." It's one of Christine's most personal songs. It really speaks to a universal human longing, the desire for home. And it's a true rocker; she didn't rock out all that often and it's great to hear it when she does.

I also love the sound of the piano in this song. Another thing I liked better about this era of the Mac was the fact that Chris' keyboards were so prominent in many songs.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^

Trinity should definitely have made it on there - maybe it was too long
Even with only four average-length tracks on side one? Gosh, what were they thinking?