Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dave Walker's latest solo offerings

Just wondering if anyone has listened to the two (fairly) recent Dave Walker solo albums - Mostly Sonny with the Ambulators from 2005 and Walking Underwater from 2007?

I've really taken to Dave's voice, and really enjoyed this albums. Really good rockin' blues!

Let's be honest they are never going to be chart-toppers but they are a good enjoyable listen if you like the blues.

I actually liked the albums that much I went back and found his Savoy Brown albums from early '70s and late '80s.

Just wondering if anyone else has listened to either album and what they thought!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

I like both, perhaps slight preference to Walking Underwater since I love me some originals! ...but yeah, great stuff. I agree, people should check out the Savoy stuff Dave was on, sure, many probably feel Dave "wasn't right for" FM and so they feel that = then not liking his stuff since they like the FM sound (and since he's "diffeent"...) but if they'd just take his stuff for what it is like they would any other arist they'd give a chance to, I bet they'd find lots of tracks they'd enjoy. I recommend his Idle Race stuff, harder to find, but worth the search!

John
Old 09-19-2008, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I went out and hunted down Time Is after you posted that...managed to come across the tracks, which I am posting up on my blog for anyone else following this.

http://fleetwoodmacmusic.blogspot.com/

Different to say the least. Think I prefer his Savoy Brown stuff, but then thats just me...Actually I think his voice has got better with age...his later SB stuff, or the solo stuff.

I realise that everyone to their own taste, but it really annoys me when people only see the Mac as Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham era and don't look past that. There were so many other talented members, so much other material, so much depth. I love Stevie but she ain't everything...

Well thats my little rant...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Couldn't agree more! Yeah, i think the SB stuff is classic too!

John
Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually I must admit that having a couple of listens to the Idle Race album I'm starting to like Dave's stuff more and more.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Actually I must admit that having a couple of listens to the Idle Race album I'm starting to like Dave's stuff more and more.
Yeah I could see where it may take a while for some to get in to it because it's so differrent to what he'd done with SB, but I think since it's generally mellower it gives us a glimpse of what he could've brought to FM had things worked out better etc.

John