The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She seems unable to write a song anymore by herself.
Her early solo move into "rock" ruined her music... especially the Tom Petty thing.
She is only really good on ballads, where her writing and vocals shine brilliantly.
I love When I See You Again for its bizarre and raw and almost avante-garde atmosphere and I suspect those who hate it of being unintelligent or dull
The Second Time is beautiful.
Stevie seems to have borderline personality, or at least, extreme self absorption.
She ruined her solo career by not using consistent artistic production.
Say You Will is probably the best Stevie solo album... her nine songs are fantastic, largely due to Lindsey's production.
Not a fan of TISL.
I turned away from her on hearing Belladonna, came back briefly after hearing Nightbird on radio (bought Wild Heart and deemed the album to be a throwaway except for B&TB and Nightbird), and was rehooked only by TITN and her 3 widely-panned tunes there.
Stevie live (I have seen her four times solo) is disappointing. The band drowns her out and the cacophonous boredom of Stand Back and E of 17 eat up far too much time.

Last edited by mitzo; 07-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2015, 03:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After reading this thread I don't feel so bad
about the way I feel about her now.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
She seems unable to write a song anymore by herself.
Her early solo move into "rock" ruined her music... especially the Tom Petty thing.
She is only really good on ballads, where her writing and vocals shine brilliantly.
I love When I See You Again for its bizarre and raw and almost avante-garde atmosphere and I suspect those who hate it of being unintelligent or dull
The Second Time is beautiful.
Stevie seems to have borderline personality, or at least, extreme self absorption.
She ruined her solo career by not using consistent artistic production.
Say You Will is probably the best Stevie solo album... her nine songs are fantastic, largely due to Lindsey's production.
Not a fan of TISL.
I turned away from her on hearing Belladonna, came back briefly after hearing Nightbird on radio (bought Wild Heart and deemed the album to be a throwaway except for B&TB and Nightbird), and was rehooked only by TISL and her 3 widely-panned tunes there.
Stevie live (I have seen her four times solo) is disappointing. The band drowns her out and the cacophonous boredom of Stand Back and E of 47 eat up far too much time.
you're "not a fan of TISL" but you were re-hooked by TISL??? did I have too many cocktails?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
you're "not a fan of TISL" but you were re-hooked by TISL??? did I have too many cocktails?
I meant TITN, edited.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Whole Lotta Trouble is one of her best singles
2. Her "thing" with Lindsey on stage is affected and mostly put on to please the fans of the on-going soap opera
3. She comes across far too serious at times
4. Rock a Little is her best album
5. The Highwayman is one of her worst songs
6. Stand Back sounds awful live
Old 07-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. My biggest unpopular stevie opinion at least around here is that her solo set lists since 2005 have actually been quite incredible and brave. Even her inclusion of random cover songs is something I love. And this opinion got stronger once she released IYD and played 9 our of 13 of the songs at some point. Her solo sets are by far better then what fleetwood Mac does and even what Lindsey does solo!

2. I think mable Normans my be my favorite stevie solo song ever.

3. And right up there with it is I Don't Cate. (Nothing has confused me more in the past year then all the people I've read state "well I love pretty much all of 24KG...except for I Don't Care.

4. I love Stevie's personality just as much as her songs. Even these days

5. TheOther Side of the Mirror is an absolute embarrassment of an album. Not sure if this is unpopular but I feel it's generally more liked then street Angel and even rock a little. The whole vibe, feel and sound of the album is like nothing she did before or after and thank god for that. That being said I love doing the best I can and long way to go. And rooms on fire is fine. The rest is terrible

6. I can't stand the TISL version of planets. I love all versions of it in demo form.

7. Similarly I just can't embrace how if you were my love came out. I try to like it as much as many here do but it just doesn't work for me.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
2. Her "thing" with Lindsey on stage is affected and mostly put on to please the fans of the on-going soap opera
Agreed. And I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. They held hands at the end of "Landslide" for like 20 seconds at Leeds and the crowd were screaming and cheering for them, but they barely looked at eachother. It was very obviously done for the reaction.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have another...

"Mabel Normand" is pretty much the same as "The Nightmare", but worse. Incoherent rambling in no particular tune over the same looped riff.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
I have another...

"Mabel Normand" is pretty much the same as "The Nightmare", but worse. Incoherent rambling in no particular tune over the same looped riff.
everything I love about it!

But seriously, i dont know if anyone else ever feels like I do, but sometimes my mind just wonders and its so hard for me to focus and I have thoughts on thoughts on thoughts. to hear Stevie incoherently ramble is truly very comforting to me. Her delivery of the ramble is what makes it all work.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
1)
6) The vocal coach Stevie has used the past 2 decades totally destroyed the quality of Stevie's voice. She belts/shouts everything now, and there is no nuance left to her voice, and her gorgeous tone has been ruined.
10) The whole Stevie/Lindsey romance thing is played out, and I have zero interest in it. In fact, the focus on it rather angers me.
I agree with both of those. Also:

1) I wish she'd cut several inches off her hair and go back to the darker color she had during the TISL era. The overly bleached look ages her.
2) Overall, 24K Gold is a terrible album. Those songs were in the vault for a reason.
3) Other than a few exceptions (e.g. "Trouble in Shangri-La"), she hasn't written a truly great song since "Gypsy."
Old 07-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like all of Stevie's music. Really. A lot.

(I doubt anyone on TL will be able to top my unpopular opinion.)

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
1. My biggest unpopular stevie opinion at least around here is that her solo set lists since 2005 have actually been quite incredible and brave. Even her inclusion of random cover songs is something I love. And this opinion got stronger once she released IYD and played 9 our of 13 of the songs at some point. Her solo sets are by far better then what fleetwood Mac does and even what Lindsey does solo!

2. I think mable Normans my be my favorite stevie solo song ever.

3. And right up there with it is I Don't Cate. (Nothing has confused me more in the past year then all the people I've read state "well I love pretty much all of 24KG...except for I Don't Care.

4. I love Stevie's personality just as much as her songs. Even these days

5. TheOther Side of the Mirror is an absolute embarrassment of an album. Not sure if this is unpopular but I feel it's generally more liked then street Angel and even rock a little. The whole vibe, feel and sound of the album is like nothing she did before or after and thank god for that. That being said I love doing the best I can and long way to go. And rooms on fire is fine. The rest is terrible

6. I can't stand the TISL version of planets. I love all versions of it in demo form.

7. Similarly I just can't embrace how if you were my love came out. I try to like it as much as many here do but it just doesn't work for me.
I think you need to chill out on the cocktails bud.... LOL

I would love to hear Stevie's song "I Don't Cate"

Here's the lyrics to "I Don't Cate"

Would you like a drink?
Would you life another?
Well, Well
I Don't Cate!

Would like me to stay?
Would you like a tray?
Would you fall from grace just to hear me say
Well, Well.
I Don't Cate!

Here's the lyrics to "Mable Normans"

Another Show
She fell down the stairs
That dyslexic, domestic house wife
Happy, Mable Normans

Well, she ain't no Amelia Bedelia
But she sure knows how to bake a cake
Sometime's it just matters
How much frosting, You must put on
So you give that cake to your reptile
How bout' I get you a stepchild
And he called today...

Sorry I'm not drunk I just felt like spoofing stevie lyrics. You have to sing along to get it
Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the version of "Sisters Of The Moon" the opens the Tusk Documentary is WAYYYYYYYYYY BETTER than the version on the Mirage Concert video.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Mirage (speaking in tongues) version, but there's just something more magical and rocking on the Tusk version. It's "witchier" (is that even a word?) everyone is screaming, and Stevie has the audience both captivated and in the palm of her hand. I love her walking to each side of the stage, staring out in the audience, the black shawl over her head, mouthing the words, "Would you be my, would you be my, would you be my..."
Old 07-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I love her walking to each side of the stage, staring out in the audience, the black shawl over her head, mouthing the words, "Would you be my, would you be my, would you be my..."
Yeah, I love that part too.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I think the version of "Sisters Of The Moon" the opens the Tusk Documentary is WAYYYYYYYYYY BETTER than the version on the Mirage Concert video.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Mirage (speaking in tongues) version, but there's just something more magical and rocking on the Tusk version. It's "witchier" (is that even a word?) everyone is screaming, and Stevie has the audience both captivated and in the palm of her hand. I love her walking to each side of the stage, staring out in the audience, the black shawl over her head, mouthing the words, "Would you be my, would you be my, would you be my..."
I definitely agree!

Oh and also, I love "Freedom". I think it's kind of considered acceptable, one of the better songs from BTM, but I don't just tolerate it, I love it.

Last edited by redbird; 07-04-2015 at 05:50 PM..