User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Stevie and Bob Welch

Its so cool that Stevie and Bob were such good friends and were closer in the later days than Bob was to the Mac. I was reading a 1999 interview with Bob where he describes Stevie's love for Ebony Eyes. One time he was an opening act and the fans were giving him a hard time and Stevie came out, signaled for the band to stop and gave the crowd a hard time. Bob said you could hear a pin drop. Here is the segment:

Thanx for your comments about Ebony Eyes ! A lot of times, when I was on tour opening up on FM shows, Stevie would come up and do Ebony Eyes with me, just for fun. One time at the LA coliseum, I was opening for "The New Barbarians" which was like Keith Richards, Stanley Clark..but the big thing was everybody was thinking that Mick Jagger might show up. The first 10 or so rows of seats were all invited "critics", writers from the LA Times etc. They were VERY hostile to me, yelling things like, "get off, 'ya wimp!" , and "where's Mick Jagger" etc. At the end of my 40 min set, Stevie came to my rescue. She marched up on stage during Ebony Eyes, the last song, and motioned for the band to stop. Then she gave those front rows a piece of her mind.. Saying things like "Bob is my friend, and this is unfair", and Bob is the "Fred Astaire of rock and roll"," I love his stuff" etc. etc. I wish I had it on tape ! You could've heard a pin drop! Here was Stevie, who at the time was at least as "big" as Mick Jagger telling these snotty critics off ! THAT's the kind of person Stevie is, I'll never forget it ! And by the way, Jagger never did show up...
Yes, I worked with Lindsey; he produced the re-recorded hit version of Sentimental Lady, and also sang and played guitar on it.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this, and I love their performance of Ebony Eyes from CalJam
Old 11-25-2017, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

It would be so cool if there was a recording of these remarks. In 1998 during the Enchanted tour in Nashville Stevie went over and visited with Bob during the time the Mac fought to exclude him from the Rock N Roll hall of fame. Stevie played West Palm Beach July 4, 1998 (I was there) and had several nights off until July 10 in Nashville. I am sure they had a nice long visit. Stevie, Christine, Mick and Lindsey all worked on Bob's solo records. Its horrible the way Bob was treated by Mick and the rest of the band (excluding Stevie and Lindsey) in the last years of his life.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-25-2017 at 06:42 AM..