User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lead singer Michelle Tyler was surprised recently when Stevie herself went backstage to meet them. Several members of the audience were so enthusiastic about the band that they hopped onstage to dance out the finale at the Hilton.
Her version of "recently" is a great exaderation. It was more like 4 years ago. I've seen this act. The Band is very good, Michelle, not so good.

Last edited by vivfox; 04-26-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Monday, April 26, 2010
Happy Birthday Gypsy In One Month!

May 26, 1948, Stevie Nicks was born. Well, Stephanie Nicks, the gal who goes to the grocery store, was born. The floaty romantic Ren-fest-dress-wearing Stevie Nicks was introduced to us by Fleetwood Mac in 1975. Such a girly-girl, then she opens her mouth and you hear this raspy yet luscious voice. Nicks was one of the few (maybe it was only her) women who were rock stars and didn't even pretend to be tough on stage. Even Pat Benatar who was about 3 feet tall and weighed as much as your average chicken, was ferocious. I forgot to mention that Stevie Nicks is a brilliant songwriter. Landslide. Enough said. All that and the coolest name ever. Happy Birthday to you - one month from now!

As the commenter said, her birthday is in May, not April. Mea Culpa for not double-checking my sources.
A few Stevie Nicks CD's
Source: Biography Resource Center
Graphic source: Weatherman90 at en.wikipedia
Posted by Des Moines Public Library at 9:12 AM
1 comments:

Anonymous said...
Stevie's birthday is May 26, not April 26. Check your facts before posting something like this.

April 26, 2010 9:21 AM

http://desmoinespubliclibrary.blogsp...-april-26.html
Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of Stevie Nicks, when I met Mitch we kind of got into a friendly tiff over the talent of the lovely Ms. Nicks. I said (and Mitch's astute wife agreed) that no musician is more talented. He disagreed but, in the interest of not being pummeled by two devout Stevie fans, let the subject go. I turned to my sister and said, "I can't believe I'm arguing with Mitch Albom about Stevie Nicks." [Life is full of unexpected strangeness these days.]

http://debralschubert.blogspot.com/2...ith-stars.html
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let’s ask some random fun questions for your fans: Who are you listening to on your iPod?

An unreleased version of Stevie Nicks singing “Gypsy.” I am a Stevie Nicks freak!

If you could be on another reality show, which one and why?

Top Chef. I studied to become a chef before my design career took off.

The boys want to know: Are you dating?

Yes. We have been together for over two years. He e-mailed me on Valentine’s Day after watching me on the show. So romantic.

What do you look for in a guy?

I don't know… beauty of spirit and an idea about what they want to do in life.

What’s one thing your boyfriend did that swept you off your feet?

He sent me a Stevie Nicks song I'd never heard. It was like an arrow through my heart.

http://daily.gay.com/entertainment/2...interview.html

You can meet Chris March at the National Stationery Show at Javits Center in New York on May 16th and 17th from 1 to 4 p.m.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Leather and Lace
Apr 27th, 2010 by Jay.

Leather and Lace

“Sometimes I’m a strong man, sometimes cold and scared, and sometimes…I cry.” ~Don Henley

I don’t remember a time in my life when I wasn’t in love with Stevie Nicks. I was maybe four or five when Rumours came out, and I was smitten from day one. I loved everything about her: her voice, her style, her presence. I was hooked, and to be perfectly honest, I never quite got myself off that particular hook.

As I have grown older, I have always carried Stevie’s music with me. My final exam in guitar class was “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” and when I formed my band with my friends in college, I fought hard to have “Gypsy” as part of our name. When my daughter was born, my first instinct was to name her Rhiannon (I had a bad experience with a Sara, so that was no dice). To this day, whenever I write songs, I always imagine Stevie singing them.

I never really thought about it before, but I’m sure that Stevie had a strong influence on my decision to pursue a female-based spirituality. At least subconsciously, I wanted to connect with whatever force or being that Stevie connected with. She always seemed so free, so uninhibited, and she always seemed full of love and life. Of course, Stevie’s reality wasn’t all butterflies and glitter like her videos portrayed, but I never knew anything about the darkness she faced until much later in my life.

So the other day, I was in the guitar store downtown, and Leather and Lace started playing on the radio. Although it’s one of my favorite songs, I don’t have it on itunes or on any of my CDs, so consequently, I had almost forgotten all about it. But there it was again, floating to my ears in the sacred space where the music plays, opening my heart and filling my soul. And Don Henley’s part really spoke to me…in particular that one line above: ” Sometimes I’m a strong man, sometimes cold and scared, and sometimes, I cry.”

Sometimes, I’m a strong man. Sometimes I’m cold and scared, and sometimes, I cry. And that’s OK. I lose my way sometimes, and I get hurt sometimes. I don’t always know the right thing to do or the right thing to say. Sometimes I feel alone, or buried within my pain, and I lose my way. Sometimes I forget that other people are hurting, and that everyone is fighting hard battles of their own. Sometimes I forget that we are all one, and that we are all expressions of love. I forget that *I* am a divine expression of love.

But then I find some sacred space, and I listen to the wisdom of the sages, and I know that the Goddess is telling me that it’s all OK, that I’m OK. I’m not perfect, but neither is anyone else, and I am exactly who I am supposed to be. Even my warts, my mistakes, my imperfections are all exactly what they are supposed to be. No matter how lost I get, the Divine Light is always there to guide me back, to show me that I am loved, and that I am love.

And if you ever get lost, or scared, or feel all alone, then just know that the Divine Light will be there to guide you back, too. You are loved, and you are love. The Divine will always fold you back in, no matter how lost you get. All you have to do is look for the signs, listen for the sounds…and keep your heart open.

Love Always,

Jay
http://porsidan.com/leather-and-lace/
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

April 27, 2010 - 3:27am S. Nicks Says:

Continued support and prayer will shine a light on our beautiful friend, Brett. When as artists, we write a song, it is a song that tells a story... and within the story, we create an ending. Let us write a song for him, and let us create a kaleidoscope of an end. One with figments of color and hope. A song of a life long lived. In your own minds, from your own hearts, within your own personal space, create you song. Has anybody ever written anything for you, in all your darkest troubles...did you ever hear me say...friends and fans, I hear the song of a nightbird. And...just like the white winged dove, sings a song. Pray for him, and the angels will follow. Let your bright light infuse his heart and soul as we speak, and in his recovery to come. This is his time. Respect the privacy he needs, but continue to surround him by your candalescent bright light of spirit and nurture, and the summer will become the fall, and the seasons will change. He will also change, into an even brighter, stronger, healthier human being. And we will look to him in awe. Because he will meet and supercede this challenge. He will prevail. As good hearts always do.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 27, 2010 - 4:09am cheri Says:

In response to S. Nicks, I will write my own song, in form of prayer, and hymn to Brett Michaels. I don't know him well, I got to know him on recent Celebrity Apprentice shows, and he deserves our songs to him. Thank you Ms. Nicks, for showing me the many ways to express my feelings of sadness. Through prayer, poetry and song. I hope he will be okay.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 27, 2010 - 4:13am tyler motus Says:

Is this stevi nicks posting comments? How do you know? Did they make songs or music together? Were they an item?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 27, 2010 - 4:20am christi anne Says:

thank you S.Nicks. you have shown me a totally different way to let go of this sadness I feel for Brett. It seems to put this in a much more positive perspective. My family will sing for him. You really do write beautifully.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 27, 2010 - 4:24am TOMMY BOY Says:

who is S. nicks? POET OR SINGER? IS IT A MAN, WOMAN, OR A GROUP? PART OF POISON?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 27, 2010 - 8:37am Melissa Says:

This is not Stevie Nicks writing that. Everyone knows that she never is on a computer or the internet.

http://www.usmagazine.com/healthylif...-great-1970241
Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

April 25, 2010 - 10:21am S. Nicks Says:
Having been in the music industry for so long and knowing Mr. Michaels, let me say that the power of positive thinking and well wishes will shine a wonderful light on him. Positive energy from his friends and fans is so important. Your infusion of support and faith will shine his light brighter.

http://www.usmagazine.com/healthylif...dition-2010244
Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Do you seriously believe Stevie would be posting on the US Mag website LOL
Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Carter's Rock N' Roll Diary: April 28th « 100.7 WZLX – Boston's ...
By CBS Radio
On this date in 1998 Stevie Nicks released her 3-cd box set, Enchanted. And in 1999, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In the WZLX ticket stash Jefferson Airplane was at Brandeis University's ...
100.7 WZLX - Boston's Classic Rock - http://wzlx.radio.com/
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Los Angeles Rock'n Comic-Con 2010 Details
By Seat42f
Afterwards, they can relax in a beautiful 3000 seat theatre and be entertained with such headliners as A Flock of Seagulls, When In Rome, Dramarama and The Motels, Waddy Wachtel guitarist for Stevie Nicks, former KISS guitarist Bruce ...
Latest News - http://seat42f.com/index.php/latest-news.html
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This is for you: Butter Cookie(Georgie)

Number 3 on my list is Debbie Harry.

Another to emerge through CBGBs, Harry can rightly be called a punk icon. With a string of successes, her band Blondie became one of the most successful chart acts, crossing from punk/ new wave into the mainstream.

Harry’s voice is both distinctive and versatile. She has the power necessary for tracks like “Picture This”, but also a sultry quality that exudes raw sexuality. The early single “(I’m Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear”, is one of my favourite female vocal performances.

Number 2 for me is Stevie Nicks.

As well as being an integral part of Fleetwood Mac’s most successful period as both singer and songwriter, Nicks is also a highly successful solo artist. Think of songs like “Rhiannon”, “Gold Dust Woman” and “Dreams” or solo successes like “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”.

Her stage presence, based on a trademark look of costumes featuring flowing skirts, shawls and platform boots, is considerable. And Nicks might just have the sexiest voice in all of rock music, earthy and smoky with a low pitch. There is a vulnerability in her songs of love and loss, many written of her relationship with Lindsey Buckingham, but there is also resilience and strength in her delivery.

Stevie Nicks continues to excite and thrill in equal measures, and her voice is as strong as ever. Just listen to the live version of “Landslide” above.

http://gordonjohnston.wordpress.com/...ale-vocalists/
Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wednesday, April 28, 2010
When you build your house, call me home

Remember how I was gonna inflict lots of Stevie Nicks on you? Yeah, I checked and it's been like 3 months since I last did that...I've always had mixed feelings about this song; it's beautiful and haunting, but maybe too haunting and sad (especially if Don Henley's right in saying that it was about Stevie aborting their child).

But it's kind of gorgeous and sometimes you need to listen to something that chilling...the sense of loss in the song is so powerful, regardless of what one interprets it to be about losing:

The extended ("Cleaning Lady") version is all the better; brings a really strong sense of yearning to the song. And one of my favorite things about Stevie are the rambling lines towards the ends of her songs that. It takes forever to pick up on all of them, but by the time you do, you're officially in love with the song.

"I wanna be a star...I don't wanna be a cleaning lady"

Wait a minute baby
Stay with me a while
Said you'd give me light
But you never told me about the fire

Ooooh...
Ooh hoo...
Ooh hoo...

Drowning in the sea of love
Where everyone would love to drown
But now it's gone
It doesn't matter what for
When you build your house
Then call me home...

Ooh hoo...
Hoo hoo...
Ooh hoo...

And he was just like a great dark wing
Within the wings of a storm
I think I had met my match
He was singing
And undoing...And undoing...the laces
Undoing the laces...

Drowing in the sea of love
It's where everyone would love to drown
And now its gone
It doesn't matter what for
No sorrow for sorrow
You can have no more

Said Sara, you're the poet in my heart
Never change...never stop
But now it's gone
It doen't matter what for
But when you build your house
Oh then, call me home...

Hold on
The night is coming
And the starling flew for days
I'd stay home at night...all the time
I'd go anywhere...anywhere...anywhere
Ask me and (undoing) I'm there...yeah
Ask me and (undoing) I'm there...'cause I care
(The laces....the laces)
I care...

...In the sea of love
Where everyone would love to drown
But now it's gone
They say it doesn't matter anymore
If you build your house
Then please call me...home

Sara...you're the poet in my heart
Never change...and don't you ever stop
Now it's gone
No..it doesn't matter anymore
When you build your house
I'll come by...

Oh, dreaming...
And the wind became...crazy
And he reached her gently
Dreaming and the wind became....crazy
And there the heartbeat...
When it never really died

Dreaming (Ooh)...never really died (Ooh why)
Would you swallow all your pride (Ooh)
Could you speak a little louder (Ooh why)
Dreaming (Ooh)...
All I ever wanted (Ooh why)
Was to know that you are(Ooh) dreaming (Ooh why)
But there's a heartbeat and it never really dies (Ooh)
Never really died (Ooh why)
No, it never really died (Ooh why)
Never really died (Ooh why)
Could you speak a little louder (Ooh)
Swallow all your pride (Ooh why)
...(Ooh why)
Never change (Ooh why)..never change (Ooh)
And the wind (Ooh why) became...
It became (Ooh why) crazy...(Ooh why)
(Ooh why) And listen for that (Ooh why) crazy wind
Because it will make you (Ooh why) dream a while
And (Ooh why) there's a heartbeat
(Smile for my darling)
Well it never really died
Dreaming...and the wind became (Ooh why)
(Smile for my Sara)
Became crazy...(Ooh why)
(Smile for my Sara).......

http://callmesisi.blogspot.com/2010/...l-me-home.html
Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

04 - If You Ever Did Believe

Mark T. Williams : Drums
Kenny Edwards : Bass
Danny Kortchmar : Acoustic Guitar
Dennis Herring & Michael Landau : Electric Guitars
William D. Smith : Organ
Stevie Nicks & Sharon Celani : Background vocals

01 - I've Had It (Carl Bonura & Ray Ceroni)
02 - Dog Town (Louise Goffin & Danny Kortchmar)
03 - Runaway Boy (Louise Goffin & Bill Olvis)
04 - If You Ever Did Believe (Stevie Nicks)
05 - Dizzy, You're A Dreamer (Louise Goffin)
06 - Geisha Girl (Louise Goffin)
07 - Baby, Come 'Round To Me (Louise Goffin & Gerry Goffin)
08 - Johnny Can't Make Her (Louise Goffin & Bill Olvis)
09 - Rockin' On The Strand (Louise Goffin)
10 - Might As Well Pass By (Louise Goffin, Bill Olvis & Gerry Goffin)

Louise Goffin "Louise Goffin" (1981)

http://labibledelawestcoast.blogspot...ffin-1981.html
Old 04-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And you see your gypsy!
Sage | April 28th, 2010

As a child, very few albums of my parents’ really struck a serious chord within me. One such album, however, was Rumors by Fleetwood Mac, particularly Gold Dust Woman. I became fascinated with Stevie Nicks and her personal style, and I have to say, I’m still fascinated. Whether the revisiting of Mac’s feelgood 70’s music has in-part been inspiration I’m not sure, but I feel myself wanting to emulate Stevie in layers of chiffon, crochet, silks and velvets.

http://www.scoutnetworkblog.com/2010...ee-your-gypsy/
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lyric of the Day #78: Top 100 Lyricists #69 – Stevie Nicks
April 28, 2010 by Matt Coleman

Stevie Nicks has said that her vocal style evolved from female singers like Janis Joplin and Grace Slick. She was inspired after seeing Joplin live. Nicks’ career success has inspired such modern artists as The Dixie Chicks, Michelle Branch, Mary J. Blige, Sheryl Crown, Tori Amos, and the list just goes on. If one judges artists by who they were inspired by and who they inspired themselves, Nicks is a prime example of a tremendous musician. Artists obviously aren’t judged this way, but, in Nicks’ case at least the conclusion is true. Nicks is a fantastic musician and her musical, lyrical, and even clothing and jewelry style has been an influence to many modern musicians. In this post, we will specifically focus on her lyrics.

Nicks was born in Phoenix, Arizona, to a corporate executive and a homemaker. Her grandfather, Aaron Jess Nicks, was a struggling country singer. He taught Nicks how to sing quite early in her life (try before the age of five). After receiving a guitar for her 16th birthday, Nicks wrote her first song “I’ve Loved and I’ve Lost, and I’m Sad But Not Blue,” and joined her first band while attending Arcadia High School in California. While attending Menlo Atherton High School as a senior, she met Lindsey Buckingham at a Young Life social event. He was playing “California Dreamin’” and she provided some harmony. They became a unit and eventually started recording duos together. They were signed briefly to Polydor records who helped release an album Buckingham Nicks in 1973. It was not a commercial success and the label dropped them. Nicks was sent into a stage where she worked several jobs and even wrote one of the songs I will be profiling today “Landslide” while debating whether to continue to pursue music. But, like every successful and lucky artist, Nicks and Buckingham caught their break on New Year’s Eve, 1974, after playing their track “Frozen Love” for Mick Fleetwood in Studio City, California. He originally only extended the offer to Buckingham, but, after Buckingham insisted they were a duo, Fleetwood caved and allowed Nicks to join the ride. This was most likely the best decision he ever made. No, seriously, passed the cliché, if he did not allow them to join no one would know the name Fleetwood (unless they were using the home company).

Why? Well, in 1975, with Nicks’ voice and lyric at the helm, the band released the eponymous Fleetwood Mac which hit number one and had three top 20 songs. After the album was released, Nicks ended her relationship with Buckingham and the band went into to the studio to record Rumours. The sessions for Rumours were lined with band tension, drug use and various other issues. This, oddly, was the formula for success. Rumours was released in 1977 and is now considered one of the better albums of all time. Once again, Nicks’ work was instrumental to this success.

She became a symbol. Yes, there were problems along the way (the band did eventually fall apart). Nicks’ personal love life and drug use did certainly take a toll. But, her music and lyric are extraordinary. They are rich with emotional symbolism and they are delightfully airy and ethereal. She is also known for the image she created for herself. This attributes to her status as an icon or, as Rolling Stone Magazine called her, “The Reigning Queen of Rock N’ Roll.” Nicks is known for her somewhat anagogic wardrobe that is Gothic and almost witch-like. Hence, witchcraft rumors that have followed her. Nicks humorously is known to have stated, “I am not a witch. Get a life!” Her dresser is full of chiffon skirts, lace, top hats and platform boots. Her style has been worked on by Californian designer Margi Kent since the 1970′s.

But, this is not an article about clothing. So, how about some lyrics. Let’s first explore “Edge of Seventeen,” which was released on her 1981 solo début album Bella Donna. The song focused in on the grief she was feeling because of the death of her uncle and the murder of John Lennon which occurred during the same week in December of 1980. It features a simple chord structure and great, noticeable riff. The lyrics hit you right away:

The white winged dove (Mark A. Hicks, illustrator.)
“Just like the white winged dove… sings a song …
Sounds like she’s singing…
whoo…whoo…whoo

Just like the white winged dove… sings a song
Sounds like she’s singing…
ooo…baby…ooo…said ooo

And the days go by….
like a strand in the wind
In the web that is my own…
I begin again
Said to my friend, baby…Nothin’ else mattered”

Nicks has said that the “dove” in the lyric represents the spirit leaving the body after death. It is a wonderful portrayal of grief. Nicks stated in an interview with BAM in 1981, ” The most recent [song on Bella Donna] is Edge of Seventeen, which is also my favorite song on the record…. Edge of Seventeen closes it [the album] ~ chronologically, anyway ~ with the loss of John Lennon and an uncle at the same time. That song is sort of about how no amount of money or power could save them. I was angry, helpless, hurt, sad.” She portrays this with her rich symbolism quite well.

My favorite Nicks song is definitely “Landslide.” It was released on Fleetwood Mac’s first album. Nicks said in an interview, “”looking out at the Rocky Mountains pondering the avalanche of everything that had come crashing down on us…at that moment, my life truly felt like a landslide in many ways.” She wrote the song while sitting in a friend’s house in Aspen, Colorado. Good setting! Here are my favorite lyrics:

So, take my love, take it down
Climb a mountain and turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well, the landslide will bring it down”

These lyrics are sung so delicately by Nicks that you cannot dislike them. But, the symbolism is certainly there. She feels like she is falling. She dedicates this song to her father. Great song. Great artist. Great lyrics.

http://musiccourt.wordpress.com/2010...-stevie-nicks/