The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unless there are more "in the can" that haven't been discovered & circulated, that's it.

He also covered Donovan..."Try For The Sun".
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
How many Bob Dylan songs has he done? I know about Love Minus Zero/No Limit.
That's all, I believe. I think that studio version is crap, too. Uninspired MOR, what was even the point? He did do a nice job of it at the AHI show in 2001, though.

I'm familiar with at least a few of the original versions of some of Lindsey's Stones covers, and I can try and figure out how to put some up on YouSendit later if anybody's interested in them. I like what Lindsey did with them, but as someboy else mentioned, they're fairly faithful renditions, just a little Lindsey-fied. I wonder if he just happened to be on a big Stones kick at some point and decided to use some of their mid-60s material as templates for some his own production ideas. Lindsey's versions are more headphones songs than the Stones' originals, and I'm guessing we lose quite a bit of that aspect of the productions with the compressed mp3s we've got, leaving us to think they're just quaint little covers. I wonder if there's much more depth to the sound in the top-quality copies Lindsey's got.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Unless there are more "in the can" that haven't been discovered & circulated, that's it.

He also covered Donovan..."Try For The Sun".
That's a bit more of a reinterpretation than a straight-up cover, though. He changed the lyrics around quite a bit to make it more Stevie-related.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts

Someone needs to sit Lindsey down and tell him, "Honey, you have original material. There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers. Do one if you adore them so much but any more than that is just odd." Seriously, guys, let's try to think of another major band/artist that's released a studio album containing even two covers songs originally recorded by another single band (excluding theme albums that consist entirely of covers). Not too easy, is it?
But none of these songs were ever released bar I Am Waiting, which is the most likely candidate to have been the Stones' tribute on Say You Will. I don't think Lindsey's Stones obsession is lame as I personally believe he never intended to release more than one. He may have been experimenting to find the Jagger/Richards tune he liked the best, that suited him best. To me it's like any musically-minded Ledgie covering their favourite Mac songs, it's just Lindsey has the luxury of his recording his in his own studio.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I don't think Lindsey's Stones obsession is lame as I personally believe he never intended to release more than one.
Here's the tracklisting of GOS that David originally received, and the one people believe was submitted to the heads of Warner in 2001:

1 Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
2 Miranda
3 Steal Your Heart Away
4 Red Rover
5 She Smiled Sweetly
6 Come
7 Down on Rodeo
8 Gotta Get Away
9 Try for the Sun
10 Shuffle Riff
11 Murrow
12 Gift of Screws
13 Bleed to Love Her
14 Twist of Fate
15 Go Insane
16 Say Goodbye
17 The Singer Not the Song

Three Stones songs there. Now it could be that some of these were just suggestions. After all, 17 songs is a lot for one album. Unless it was meant to be one of those double albums in terms of the vinyl era, like SYW with its 18 tracks is.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 10-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
To someone who considers himself primarily an arranger (in its deepest sense) & a sonic painter, does it much matter who pens the lyrics & the chord progression?
Then he should go and arrange someone else's work instead of trying to release a solo album of his own. Covering a bunch of songs because you'd rather arrange them than write your own lyrics and chording is inexcusable on any level except the theoretical. Has he no shame?

Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You originally asked why Lindsey was so fascinated with the Stones or with these Stones songs, to which I suggested that he wasn't, necessarily -- but he may have been fascinated by the possibilities of reworking them.
Sorry, I guess I was wondering why he would cover the songs from a musical sense...i.e. similar chord progression, similar writing styles etc. Even though I have played piano my entire life, this stuff still confuses me. But your suggestion makes sense too.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 10-25-2005, 05:47 PM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Then he should go and arrange someone else's work instead of trying to release a solo album of his own. Covering a bunch of songs because you'd rather arrange them than write your own lyrics and chording is inexcusable on any level except the theoretical. Has he no shame?
Good point there. Putting out one's own solo album generally requires one to attempt to make at least some statements in terms of songwriting rather than merely track-crafting.

But what if he covered these Stones songs because he liked what they already had to say? I really don't know what his reasoning was. I'm just suggesting possibilities outside the usual "Steviefied" realm of the lyrics being the sole vessel of meaning, or in this case the sole cause of Lindsey's reasoning.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
Sorry, I guess I was wondering why he would cover the songs from a musical sense...i.e. similar chord progression, similar writing styles etc.
Again, I don't know what his reasoning was -- or whether it even had anything to do with the songs' lyrical or chordal qualities.

Without knowing what Lindsey's reasoning was, we can still state pretty firmly that the chords of these songs aren't anything particularly different from what Lindsey is typically inclined to compose himself.

Really, not knowing that "Gotta Get Away" or "The Singer Not The Song" is a Stones tune, you'd more than likely assume it was a Lindsey Buckingham song, as I did before Les or somebody told me these were old Stones songs.

Lyrically, I have less of an opinion, mainly because I'm less familiar with how a typical Jagger/Richards lyric is distinguishable from a Buckingham lyric. Besides, lyric-writing styles are so frequently mimicked in rock that anyone would be hard-pressed to pin down authorship or influence in most songs.

Ali, you've started a marvelous thread & I really love you!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What are you talking about? Musicians record covers or new arrangements of other people's material all the time. What on earth is shameful about it?

You asked in an earlier post for artists who have released albums that weren't specifically covers-only projects (though I'm not sure why that would make a difference) but nonetheless contained multiple covers. The first one I can think of off the top of my head is a Canadian singer-songwriter called Feist who recently released an album that is half covers and half originals: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

If she's not "major" enough for you (though Lindsey solo is anything but major himself), then I'll mention Willie Nelson, whose last album included a handful of original songs, a handful of songs that other songwriters had written for him, and a few covers, including Tom Waits' "Picture in a Frame" and the Allman Brothers Band's "Midnight Rider." And then of course there are all of Johnny Cash's albums with Rick Rubin. Or will you say country musicians don't count for some reason?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
If she's not "major" enough for you (though Lindsey solo is anything but major himself), then I'll mention Willie Nelson, whose last album included a handful of original songs, a handful of songs that other songwriters had written for him, and a few covers, including Tom Waits' "Picture in a Frame" and the Allman Brothers Band's "Midnight Rider." And then of course there are all of Johnny Cash's albums with Rick Rubin. Or will you say country musicians don't count for some reason?
But weren't these covers of songs by different artists? Was Willie covering multiple songs from one band/artist, as Lindsey is doing with the Stones?

Old 10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But weren't these covers of songs by different artists? Was Willie covering multiple songs from one band/artist, as Lindsey is doing with the Stones?
What's the difference? Why does it matter who the songs are by, or if more than one song is by the same artist?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
What's the difference? Why does it matter who the songs are by, or if more than one song is by the same artist?
You don't think that's odd? I guess that's where we differ. I find it extremely odd to rely so heavily on one group/artist for material.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You don't think that's odd? I guess that's where we differ. I find it extremely odd to rely so heavily on one group/artist for material.
A hypothetical 3 songs out of a hypothetical 17 isn't exactly what I would call "relying heavily" on a single artist.

But what's so incredibly odd about it? The Byrds jump-started their career doing it; their first album was titled Mr. Tambourine Man and included an additional three Dylan tunes aside from the title track. And Manfred Mann revitalized his career in the mid-70s by forming the Earth Band and butchering at least three great Springsteen songs.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a big fan of the Stones originals as well as the Lindsey covers. He made them truly unique, textural and interesting, which is saying alot because I personally find covers pretty tricky to pull off successfully. He brought something original to some already great songs and I fail to see that it was somehow a bad idea to rework songs that he happens to be fan of himself. Hell, he could do 10 more for all I care.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.