Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I am also a huge fan of both and have attended solo shows of the singers and have their albums. A true miracle happened and Christine came back to the band after 16 years and performed a HUGE world tour. Even then people started to attack them for performing too much and not recording a new album. People forgot about the miracle and when a miracle happens sit back and enjoy it. The biggest miracle would be for these 5 members to record an album together. This has not happened since the 1980's. For what ever reason, Stevie is dragging her feet. But even worse IMHO, she is not honest with her fans. Does anyone really believe the reason she does not want to do the album is because it might not be good? That is an insult to the rest of the band and Christine. So there is a reason why there is a bitterness towards Stevie in this forum. She is preventing a miracle from happening. The Stevie (only) fans have reacted in attacking the rest of the band. I see the band as innocent and just wanting to record an album. As real or true fans we should all want that. I do not see the band touring without Stevie. I think that was a statement to get Stevie's attention to come back to the band. The band is older and they travel in lavish ways in private jets, etc. The band playing small theaters could not travel and support their touring lifestyle. In addition, to practice and tour only to come off the tour and rehearse and tour again is a bit strange. Maybe the band would showcase their new songs while Stevie hides backstage. If the Stevie ONLY fans do not like discussing Fleetwood Mac there are other forums devoted only to Stevie's solo career.
I really think it's naive to think that Stevie can put a stop to the rest of the band, she is only one fifth of the band and I doubt that she alone has the power to force the other four fifths to do anything they don't want to.
However I'm curious, don't you consider The Dance a group effort? It's one of my favourite periods of this band.
I don't think Stevie is necessarily dishonest, unless it's bout being dishonest with herself. In the end she didn't say that the album wouldn't be good, she said that it wouldn't sell, which is different, and actually the more an album is good, the more frustrating it is if it doesn't sell.
I also think that at this point in their lives we as real and true fans should be happy with whatever the band members want to give to us, they already gave us very much and deserve in their older years to do what they want at the time they want.
I have missed these Stevie fans attacking the rest of the band, where has it happened?

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 12-10-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Old 12-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I really think it's naive to think that Stevie can put a stop to the rest of the band, she is only one fifth of the band and I doubt that she alone has the power to force the other four fifths to do anything they don't want to.
However I'm curious, don't you consider The Dance a group effort? It's one of my favourite periods of this band.
I don't think Stevie is necessarily dishonest, unless it's bout being dishonest with herself. In the end she didn't say that the album wouldn't be good, she said that it wouldn't sell, which is different, and actually the more an album is good, the more frustrating it is if it doesn't sell.
I also think that at this point in their lives we as real and true fans should be happy with whatever the band members want to give to us, they already gave us very much and deserve in their older years to do what they want at the time they want.
I have missed these Stevie fans attacking the rest of the band, where has it happened?
Of course she is dishonest. Can you imagine Mick Jagger telling everyone he does not want to do another Stones album because it might not be good. Just imagine the reaction from Keith Richards. Keith would have expletive words. I don't understand this need to give Stevie shelter that no other band member in any other band would get.

No, Stevie does not have the power to stop the band. But the other band members do care and value her input. They want a complete package to go on the road with. They value her artistry and want it part of this album.

Of course we are all happy with whatever the band gives us. But us fans have only dreamed of "what if" these 5 would record another album. We are on the edge of that moment. And sorry, we do have a right to feel frustrated.

Christine gave up performing 20 years ago after the Dance. Who would have dreamed that she is back touring and wants to record music with all 5 members again. This is something THEY WANT to do.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-10-2016 at 08:25 AM..
Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Of course she is dishonest. Can you imagine Mick Jagger telling everyone he does not want to do another Stones album because it might not be good. Just imagine the reaction from Keith Richards. Keith would have expletive words. I don't understand this need to give Stevie shelter that no other band member in any other band would get.

No, Stevie does not have the power to stop the band. But the other band members do care and value her input. They want a complete package to go on the road with. They value her artistry and want it part of this album.

Of course we are all happy with whatever the band gives us. But us fans have only dreamed of "what if" these 5 would record another album. We are on the edge of that moment. And sorry, we do have a right to feel frustrated.

Hello!!!! Christine gave up performing 20 years ago after the Dance. Who would have dreamed that she is back touring and wants to record music with all 5 members again. This is something THEY WANT to do.
But, again, she said that it wouldn't sell, not that it wouldn't be good. And I didn't enjoy the latest efforts of the Stones, but that's off topic.
Honestly I really don't think anyone is giving anyone shelter, in my opinion she just said something random and suddenly everyone is putting too much thought in those words.
And who said that the band is currently waiting for her or that they want to eventually tour, with or without her? We don't even have any input about their current thoughts or plans.
Nobody said we shouldn't feel frustrated, but the "THEY" doesn't exists unless we are talking about all of them.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, again, she said that it wouldn't sell, not that it wouldn't be good. And I didn't enjoy the latest efforts of the Stones, but that's off topic.
I think she's indirectly suggested it. There was the interview she gave (which to the best of my recollection was quite terse/cold towards Fleetwood Mac and LB in particular) where she said they'd never again be able to capture the magic of the old songs (refering to Gypsy I think). I think she suggested there'd be no point trying because they could never be good together again.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, again, she said that it wouldn't sell, not that it wouldn't be good.
nope, she said that it wouldn't be good. that they can never recapture the magic of their heyday anymore. plus that it wouldn't sell so what's the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised by possible attendances. Lindsey and Chris couldn't each draw big crowds solo as they were never big names in the way Stevie was. However, they won't be playing solo and Fleetwood Mac as a brand carries a lot of weight. Do we really think the majority of people that come to FM shows are big fans that own most of the albums? (and Stevie Nicks albums?)...of course they aren't. The majority of the people that see gigs are casual fans that own a couple of albums at most and in many cases just have a Greatest Hits disc.
exactly. Fleetwood Mac name carries a lot more weight than any of their individual names. many people go see Fleetwood Mac because they want to put that notch on their belt, like you wanna see a Beatle live, or the Stones, or the Who, or Lynyrd Skynyrd (now there's a band that's completely different than in their heyday!), or Beach Boys, etc - while they are still around. they might know a few best known hits and that''s it. and if they own FM Greatest Hits - almost 80% of the songs there are Christine's, so they'll get that!

now individually, nobody knows who Lindsey Buckingham is, or Christine McVie, or John McVie. few people might know who Mick Fleetwood is, mostly because his name is so close to the band name. and many know who Stevie Nicks is. so it's very possible that if they tour as Fleetwood Mac in arenas, while the shows will be sold out because of Fleetwood Mac name, there will be enough people who will be disappointed when they realize that Nicks is not there. but Beach Boys tour large venues all the time, while at the same time Brian Wilson tours small theaters solo. it would not be unusual.

that said, i really hope if the FM 4 tour, that they'll choose to tour intimate venues, which would assure they are not obligated to do all the hits but they can do tons of new stuff instead.

bottom line: if they tour under Fleetwood Mac name, they will be selling out whatever they want. if they tour under any other name, nobody will know who that is, but that will give them complete artistic freedom. and it would be fantastic to see that show in intimate venues, even if the prices are higher than arena prices there - since unlike in arenas, there are no bad seats in theaters and clubs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 12-10-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
nope, she said that it wouldn't be good.
Prove it. Find the quote and share it here.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Prove it. Find the quote and share it here.
wow that tone is not very nice.

that most recent interview she gave is somewhere in SN forum. or just google it, and it will come up.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
wow that tone is not very nice.
Wasn't meant to be un-nice, but yeah, it is abrupt.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-11-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
nope, she said that it wouldn't be good. that they can never recapture the magic of their heyday anymore. plus that it wouldn't sell so what's the point.
Stevie thinks touring is the better plan, simply because of Fleetwood Mac's dynamics.

"Do we want to go and close ourselves up in a studio for a year, [and] make a record that’s really good but that probably won’t sell, because records don’t really sell that much?" she asks. "And then we'll have been stuffed together for a year in one room, and...when you come out of that room, we may not want to go on a tour!"

http://www.wjbdradio.com/music-news/...wood-mac-album

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 12-11-2016 at 12:30 PM..