The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-18-2024, 10:53 PM
DownOnRodeo's Avatar
DownOnRodeo DownOnRodeo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,807
Default The truth is out there

Someone must have the bootleg mp3s lying around.

I've lost them in changing computers over the years, but I used to have at least two tracks of about 7 minutes each, ripped right from the studio where they were playing around with the track in its very early stages. My favorite part was when it's just Lindsey and his guitar playing the verse music, and you can tell everyone likes it. Then you have Stevie singing that dreadful "Write me a love song" lyric over Lindsey's guitar, and you can tell even she doesn't like how it sounds. Then Lindsey comes in with his lyric, singing Listen to the wind blow... and you can tell everyone loves it. The rest of that track is endless iterations of that part with differing attempts at harmonies.

The conspiracy theorist in me tells me Irving and Team Stevie had them buried on Youtube etc because they take the air out of the recent myth that it was Stevie's song.
__________________
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-19-2024, 05:31 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Someone must have the bootleg mp3s lying around.

I've lost them in changing computers over the years, but I used to have at least two tracks of about 7 minutes each, ripped right from the studio where they were playing around with the track in its very early stages. My favorite part was when it's just Lindsey and his guitar playing the verse music, and you can tell everyone likes it. Then you have Stevie singing that dreadful "Write me a love song" lyric over Lindsey's guitar, and you can tell even she doesn't like how it sounds. Then Lindsey comes in with his lyric, singing Listen to the wind blow... and you can tell everyone loves it. The rest of that track is endless iterations of that part with differing attempts at harmonies.

The conspiracy theorist in me tells me Irving and Team Stevie had them buried on Youtube etc because they take the air out of the recent myth that it was Stevie's song.
I'm going to look for it again. About 2 weeks ago I was watching an old interview of Stevie and she mentions the Chain. She was very specific about the lyrics part. She is not a musician and of course wrote none of the music. Her exact words were that the only line Lindsey contributed to The Chain was "Listen to the wind blow". She claimed all other lyrics were hers. Its a very bitter song so it does sound like her.
I suspect "Chain will keep us together" was not hers and a group idea adding some positivity to the song. IMHO its a more angrier version of Silver Springs. Silver Springs is heart break with a little vengeance. The Chain is ultimatums and anger.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-19-2024, 12:32 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,277
Default

Here it is at the 9:00 mark. This interview is just 4 years after the Chain was written. She takes credit for the chorus and melody of the song and Lindsey asked her to use those in this new song. She claims he only wrote "Listen to the wind blow" She also sort of infers she is the one that came up with the name The Chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzvaintkJU
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-19-2024, 01:09 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Here it is at the 9:00 mark. This interview is just 4 years after the Chain was written. She takes credit for the chorus and melody of the song and Lindsey asked her to use those in this new song. She claims he only wrote "Listen to the wind blow" She also sort of infers she is the one that came up with the name The Chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzvaintkJU
Yes, this is the interview! Much better quality than my old cassettes, which alas have become very wobbly after sitting in boxes for years...no, DECADES... (how can that be when I have barely aged? )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-19-2024, 02:04 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 15,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
years...no, DECADES... (how can that be when I have barely aged? )
I began listening to Rumours on 8- track, and I'll be 24 this coming December, so, it is possible.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-20-2024, 01:25 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 14,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
The conspiracy theorist in me tells me Irving and Team Stevie had them buried on Youtube etc because they take the air out of the recent myth that it was Stevie's song.
Bah. Irving doesn’t decide what we consume online.

Stevie wrote “If you don’t love me now / You will never love me again / I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain,” confirmed by her demo on the Rumours Deluxe set.

Christine wrote the music for the chorus and outro, confirmed by her “Keep Me There” on the same set.

Lindsey obviously wrote the guitar weave and orchestrated the verses musically, which is audible here:

http://sndup.net/pdnb

http://sndup.net/j9zm

http://sndup.net/r8hx

http://sndup.net/qnnw
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-20-2024, 05:43 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 16,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Bah. Irving doesn’t decide what we consume online.

Stevie wrote “If you don’t love me now / You will never love me again / I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain,” confirmed by her demo on the Rumours Deluxe set.

Christine wrote the music for the chorus and outro, confirmed by her “Keep Me There” on the same set.

Lindsey obviously wrote the guitar weave and orchestrated the verses musically, which is audible here:

http://sndup.net/pdnb

http://sndup.net/j9zm

http://sndup.net/r8hx

http://sndup.net/qnnw
Thank God for Keep Me There. And thank God "love song" never saw the light of day.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-20-2024, 09:32 PM
DownOnRodeo's Avatar
DownOnRodeo DownOnRodeo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Bah. Irving doesn’t decide what we consume online.

Stevie wrote “If you don’t love me now / You will never love me again / I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain,” confirmed by her demo on the Rumours Deluxe set.

Christine wrote the music for the chorus and outro, confirmed by her “Keep Me There” on the same set.

Lindsey obviously wrote the guitar weave and orchestrated the verses musically, which is audible here:

http://sndup.net/pdnb

http://sndup.net/j9zm

http://sndup.net/r8hx

http://sndup.net/qnnw
THANK YOU, DAVID.

I never thought I'd have the peculiar pleasure of hearing Stevie sing "Listen to the sun blow" again.

Hearing Christine's input into the process and her haunting harmonies have such added meaning now.
__________________
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-21-2024, 11:30 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I began listening to Rumours on 8- track, and I'll be 24 this coming December, so, it is possible.
Cassettes are making a comeback, of all things!

Even Taylor Swift has been putting songs out on cassette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr2_CUAldjQ
__________________

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 05-21-2024 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Blues: The British Connection by Brunning, Bob Paperback Book  picture

Blues: The British Connection by Brunning, Bob Paperback Book

$8.90



1960s Pop - Hardcover By Brunning, Bob - GOOD picture

1960s Pop - Hardcover By Brunning, Bob - GOOD

$6.50



1960s Pop by Brunning, Bob picture

1960s Pop by Brunning, Bob

$7.91



Bob Brunning Sound Trackers Music Series Hardcover 6 Book Lot Pop, Metal, Reggae picture

Bob Brunning Sound Trackers Music Series Hardcover 6 Book Lot Pop, Metal, Reggae

$56.99



1970s Pop - Hardcover By Brunning, Bob - GOOD picture

1970s Pop - Hardcover By Brunning, Bob - GOOD

$6.66




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved