Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mixing and Producing

A technical question. Where is the difference between producing, mixing and engineering? After seeing the Doc I`d like to know this more detailed. I thought mixing was a part of the production process. Obviously not- so anyone with more infos?

Last edited by stefan; 03-18-2004 at 01:00 PM..
Old 03-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As simplistic as I can make it:

Engineering: getting the sounds onto the recording device (either digital or tape). Involves microphone placement, equalization, recording levels, etc.

Mixing (a step in the "engineering" process): once the tracks are recorded, placing instruments & voices in their proper levels in relation to each other and within the stereo spectrum (surround spectrum for 5.1)...also adding effects & signal processing of each instrument & voice.

Production: the overall arrangement of songs & performances...the over-seeing of the entire recording process, from the raw song to the final mastering of the CD/LP/tape.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
As simplistic as I can make it:

Engineering: getting the sounds onto the recording device (either digital or tape). Involves microphone placement, equalization, recording levels, etc.

Mixing (a step in the "engineering" process): once the tracks are recorded, placing instruments & voices in their proper levels in relation to each other and within the stereo spectrum (surround spectrum for 5.1)...also adding effects & signal processing of each instrument & voice.

Production: the overall arrangement of songs & performances...the over-seeing of the entire recording process, from the raw song to the final mastering of the CD/LP/tape.
Thanks, Chili. I was wondering about this myself. We always expect Lindsey to do everything, lol, but one must delegate somehow!

Old 03-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was going to post this same question! Based on my intrepretation of chiliD's explanations, the producer has the most control over the final product. (I used to think that producers didn't really do all that much except provide money for the project. Maybe that's true with movie producers??) After watching the doc with all the talk about who would do the mixing, I'm wondering how different the songs would have been if Chris LA had done the mixing?

Last edited by Carolina Girl; 03-18-2004 at 04:16 PM..
Old 03-18-2004, 03:05 PM

Yes, producers are essentially in control during the recording process. Typically. For instance, Don Was would force the Stones to do more takes than the band really wanted to do until he thought they got it right. Imagine having that kind of power over Mick and the boys.

However, Fleetwood Mac is anything but typical. When the producer is a member of the band, it complicates things.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Thanks Chili. So the producer decides f.e. where a certain guitar part is, or stuff like backing vocals etc.
The Mixer provides cool drinks No I meant the mixer decides whether the bass line f.e. on Thrown down is prominent in front or that Stevies voice on the Peacekeeper chorus is in front too (and imo too much)?
Interesting- I always thought that is one of the most important things and was made by the producer. You can change the character of a song pretty much then. (The difference between Peacekeeper on DVD 5.1. and the normal CD f.e. is huge imo as Stevies voice on the first is way more in the background compared to the latter. )
Any idea why control freak LB lets someone else do that? Even as he was working in his garage for years and years on his tracks he did not do it on his own. So this can't be a matter of time. Perhaps he likes a little influence from outer space from time to time...
Thanks for the infos and goodnight, Stefan
Old 03-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mixing and Producing...

Great Q and A we wondered about!!!
We thot' FMac mixed it as they wanted to!
Right There! Complicated IS RIGHT!Sky
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
We do all sorts of crap that goes uncredited, we spoonfeed directors and are integral to the creative process, then they credit the directors and we get told we need to work harder. Excuse me, I've just gone off on an unrelated tangent. Back to Lindsey....
I have to continue with this OT thought...in my job I am in the unique position of knowing exactly what each person's individual contribution to the success of the business is and what they are paid for that contribution. It is very frustrating to me, because I am the lowest paid person, and I truly do not feel that I make the least important or least productive contribution. Maybe I'm just selfish and have an inflated opinion of myself and my work, but I know they couldn't function without me!

Sorry for going so far OT, but this has just been on my mind a lot lately, and there's no sign of any changes ahead to make things more equitable.

And now back to Lindsey and mixing and producing...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Lux
Old 03-19-2004, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Girl
I have to continue with this OT thought...in my job I am in the unique position of knowing exactly what each person's individual contribution to the success of the business is and what they are paid for that contribution.
In my job, I strive to getting away with doing as little as possible. Mostly, I succeed.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

I work for a small residential construction company, and I do everything related to accounting, finances, and adminstration. I also do selections for "spec" houses. In addition to that, I clean the toilet.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Lux
Old 03-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lux.... That sounds like my job. Being a mother of teenagers and a student to boot. LOL