User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thank you! It was great to see all the pictures--it gave a clearer (and color) view of some of the places that Ken Caillat talked about in his book. I haven't been to that area of California, so it was good to see. I read the book and Ken's Q&A here on The Penguin--he's got a lot of amazing (and funny) stories from that time. I know there are a few here that are clearly upset with some parts of his sharing insider knowledge of the band, but it's his story to tell--and it was a LONG time ago. I'm glad we now have his book.

Thank you again for all the pictures!
You are quite welcome. I agree with you about it being Ken's story to tell.

Some tidbits:

The M.C. who introduced Ken during the speaking portion of the book signing said that Ken took extensive personal notes in his journal during the recordings and that they also had regular interviews during the making of the album so they had plenty of historically accurate information to include in the book.

The picture of me standing next to a woman with short blonde hair and a black sleeveless top, that's Nina, the receptionist from The Record Plant. She said the part in the book that says she lived in Mill Valley and something about a fireplace, well... she says she told Ken she never lived in Mill Valley and didn't have a fireplace. I believe she said she lived in Fairfield, which is a nearby suburb.

We met Ken, his wife and a couple of their friends at the Larkspur hotel where we stayed in Mill Valley. They have S'Mores on the patio with a fire pit in the evening. My friend and I had just rolled into town about an hour earlier, so we grabbed some S'Mores and up walked Ken and company. It was quite a surprise. His friend said we would get a special tour of the facility for having driven so far, but alas, it was not to be as the night went long, there were a lot of people and everyone was pretty tired.

There's another picture that shows a guy with long gray hair. He said he was a technician that worked at The Record Plant during the recording of Rumours. He mentioned that the mixing board was not THE mixing board, obviously, but it is an old one.

The studio is located in a very odd place, kind of tucked "under" the road. We had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get there and then an even harder time trying to find a place to park. The parking lot is about big enough for 4 cars. It rained... you know, thunder only happens when it's raining.

It was a lot of fun! I was sad to leave.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW... the wood parkay floors, original. The padded paisly design on the wall, original. Too bad I didn't take pictures of the wormwood on the walls as that is original too. When I found a person who said they were there back when, I would ask them what parts were original in the room. Obviously the picture of the door handle, that was original. The building is still up for sale... $4 million is the asking price. They seriously should turn it into a museum.

Colbie was a no-show... someone said there were problems with her flight. Also, according to the current building owner, they are in the works for revitalizing the building and equipment to bring it up to date so it can continue to be used. Good news as I would hate to see the place razed and makes me even more glad I was able to attend this event.

Last edited by desertangel; 05-06-2012 at 12:24 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
BTW... the wood parkay floors, original. The padded paisly design on the wall, original. Too bad I didn't take pictures of the wormwood on the walls as that is original too. When I found a person who said they were there back when, I would ask them what parts were original in the room. Obviously the picture of the door handle, that was original. The building is still up for sale... $4 million is the asking price. They seriously should turn it into a museum.

Colbie was a no-show... someone said there were problems with her flight. Also, according to the current building owner, they are in the works for revitalizing the building and equipment to bring it up to date so it can continue to be used. Good news as I would hate to see the place razed and makes me even more glad I was able to attend this event.
Thank you!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
BTW... the wood parkay floors, original. The padded paisly design on the wall, original.
Sounds like a magical place to be. I feel almost as if you could be there and meditate, when it wasn't crowded and was kind of quiet that you could almost touch and soak in the memories.

Michele
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Sounds like a magical place to be. I feel almost as if you could be there and meditate, when it wasn't crowded and was kind of quiet that you could almost touch and soak in the memories.

Michele
Yup... that's what the originators of The Record Plant studios intended. Check out the Wikipedia entry on it... such a sad story, particularly on the Sausalito one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_Plant_Studios

God bless those people who make such sacrifices to preserve our history. I feel very blessed that the doors were opened so people could come and soak up the magic for a few hours and that I was able to be a part of it. (have I mentioned that before?)

Huge Thanks to Ken C. and Michael I for making it happen.