Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Ledgie

Default I think I know why Songbird wasn't in some performances

Hi, my first post in this forum. I have a "Rhino home video" copyrighted in 1997 about the making of Rumours in which at one point, Mic was saying how he had asked Christine to go on a tour and she replied, "only if I don't have to sing Songbird." He asked her why and she said, "I'm tired of crying." He said he always cried when she played it but never knew until then that it made her cry too. Btw, these aren't exact quotes. It's been a while since I played the videotape, and who has a VCR nowadays!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by profjohn
Hi, my first post in this forum. I have a "Rhino home video" copyrighted in 1997 about the making of Rumours in which at one point, Mic was saying how he had asked Christine to go on a tour and she replied, "only if I don't have to sing Songbird." He asked her why and she said, "I'm tired of crying." He said he always cried when she played it but never knew until then that it made her cry too. Btw, these aren't exact quotes. It's been a while since I played the videotape, and who has a VCR nowadays!
Actually, if I recall correctly, I think that "I'm tired of crying" quote is from John.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Actually, if I recall correctly, I think that "I'm tired of crying" quote is from John.
That is correct. It was John who was quoting Chris as saying that.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
That is correct. It was John who was quoting Chris as saying that.

He didn't mean that she said she cried. He was explaining - in his roundabout-sometimes-hard-to-follow 'John' way - how he told her that he didn't want to cry anymore when she played Songbird.

and then Chris said back to him, "You cry?" and he said 'yeah' and shook his head (in a way that made me cry. LOL)

sigh. those two.

-Lis
Old 03-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
He didn't mean that she said she cried. He was explaining - in his roundabout-sometimes-hard-to-follow 'John' way - how he told her that he didn't want to cry anymore when she played Songbird.

and then Chris said back to him, "You cry?" and he said 'yeah' and shook his head (in a way that made me cry. LOL)

sigh. those two.

-Lis

Wasn't that part of the Disney Going Home documentary, and not the Rumours classic album set?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Wasn't that part of the Disney Going Home documentary, and not the Rumours classic album set?

I'm pretty sure that was the Rumours Classic Album thing, or maybe Behind the Music...but definitely not the Disney thing.

-Lis
Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Ledgie

Default For the record: John quoted Chris that she cries playing Songbird

I borrowed a VCR and played the video about makiing Songbird. Here, exactly, is what John said:
And me and Mick would stand in the wings, and she’d play Songbird and (pause) grown men would weep. And I’d do it every night. So we were talking about, ah, you know, putting the band back together, and she’s goin, “as long as I don’t have to play Songbird,” and Mick’s going “uh, you have to,” and she’s saying “well why, I don’t wanna cry anymore.” And he says, “oh, you cry?” “Yeah.”
By grown men, he meant him and Mick. And that may be why you heard concerts without Songbird.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that was the Rumours Classic Album thing, or maybe Behind the Music...but definitely not the Disney thing.

-Lis
It was the Rumours Classic thing. I just watched it, night before last.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I borrowed a VCR and played the video about makiing Songbird. Here, exactly, is what John said:
And me and Mick would stand in the wings, and she’d play Songbird and (pause) grown men would weep. And I’d do it every night. So we were talking about, ah, you know, putting the band back together, and she’s goin, “as long as I don’t have to play Songbird,” and Mick’s going “uh, you have to,” and she’s saying “well why, I don’t wanna cry anymore.” And he says, “oh, you cry?” “Yeah.”
By grown men, he meant him and Mick. And that may be why you heard concerts without Songbird.
Quote:
...but definitely not the Disney thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
It was the Rumours Classic thing. I just watched it, night before last.

Ok, cool.

John's wearing a bandana on his head and sitting outdoors, right? I can picture/hear the whole thing...just couldn't remember exactly the source. Thanks to all for setting me on the right path.

Yeah, now I remember the end of the Disney one...Mick's doing a voice over talking about a "new phase of Fleetwood Mac" (meaning the Time lineup.)

Last edited by chiliD; 03-09-2006 at 01:47 PM..
Old 03-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

no, no, this is what I was trying to clarify. Granted he does not speak clearly LOL but he doesn't say 'she's saying' right before “I don’t wanna cry anymore.” He means that he said that, and she was surprised and said 'oh, you cry?' and he said yeah. watch it again, listen really carefully! believe me, i watched it way too many times trying to figure it all out.

-Lis
Old 03-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
no, no, this is what I was trying to clarify. Granted he does not speak clearly LOL but he doesn't say 'she's saying' right before “I don’t wanna cry anymore.” He means that he said that, and she was surprised and said 'oh, you cry?' and he said yeah. watch it again, listen really carefully! believe me, i watched it way too many times trying to figure it all out.

-Lis
I don't hear it like that, but then again, John isn't very lucid, is he! Why don't we settle it by asking Christine directly if she cried so much she didn't want to sing it any more? Oh, yeah, how do we do that?!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Use your head, folks.

Nobody cries every time he hears something -- even if it's the Arietta from Op. 111. You might cry once or twice or even three times -- all spaced apart -- but not each & every time you hear something. John is obviously exaggerating to make a point, which is a common feature of language.

moviekinks.blogspot.com