The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2002, 12:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Angry Song Survivor and why I'm Upset!!!

Ok Ledgies,
Here's the deal--if anyone else wants to take over doing the song survivor thing for this board, they can do so. I'll tell you why. I belong to many fanclub message boards, including those for musicians, actors, television shows, etc. I believe that fanclub message boards are where FANS of whoever the board is dedicated to can come together and chat about that person and just have fun. Well, that is not what is happening on this one. Presently, there are three threads right now that is downright bashing Stevie for absolutely no reason. All threads were started in fun and for us to spark up interesting conversation. In each one, there are a group of people that gets all defensive and starts saying that Stevie is just a tambourine player, that she contributed only so much to FM, and so on and so on and so on. Those people should not be posting on the Fleetwood Mac FAN message board because Stevie is by all means a member of FM. Not only Stevie, but each and every member of FM should be treated with respect on this board and does not deserve to be bashed! If some people would have wanted to they could have said that FM didn't have a hit until Stevie and Lindsey joined or that overall Stevie's songs did better on the charts than the other three's songs. But no one said that. Now they have begun saying things like that, but only because the Stevie bashing began. I find it so sad that there are a small group of IGNORANT people that are going to ruin the fun and peacefulness for the rest of us on the Ledge. That is why I am not posting on this particular board anymore. I will definitely continue to visit the other boards on the Ledge but not this one because every time I do I get upset. So, if anyone wants to take over the Survivor thing on this board, the results from the last poll were as follows:
Monday Morning-6 votes
Rhiannon-4 votes
Landslide-1 vote

Brett

P.S. I know I have angered some of you (especially those to whom this letter is directed at) but I hope that most of you agree with what I have said.

Rock On Ledgies!
Old 08-12-2002, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Song Survivor and why I'm Upset!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightbird_Brett
Presently, there are three threads right now that is downright bashing Stevie for absolutely no reason. All threads were started in fun and for us to spark up interesting conversation.
Three, really!? Damn, I only saw one. Would you tell me what the others are?

Don't be upset. We can't all agree on our opinions of the band. Fleetwood Mac has always been about differences. Look at the band itself: There's huge tension between the members even today, whether they like to admit it or not. It's not surprising that fans are going to take sides considering what's happened between the members themselves. Some of us are primarily Lindsey fans while others prefer Stevie. That's all right. If she gets bashed, then post a differing opinion. But I wouldn't leave because of that.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The threads did exactly as they're supposed to...spark discussion. I, for one, get a bit tired of all the fawning & worshipping, but hey, that's me. I have very REAL opinions about the band and it's members, past, present, and God-forbid future.

To me, "fans" are those who can see the faults of the band, discuss them in real terms and still be loyal to the band. (regardless of the lineup of the band...but, the Rumours lineup in particular, since that seems to be the majority of folks around here's lineup of preference)

"worshippers" are a different sort...not only do they get riled up at even the slightest comment of SUPPOSED negativity, they quickly fly off the handle. The philosophy being everything that the band does is pure genius and has some global-improving purpose.

I subscribe to the former. How DARE ANYONE question my fandom of Fleetwood Mac! I've been a fan of this band for, in some cases, twice as long as some Ledgies have been alive. So, don't even talk to me about what constitutes a "fan" of Fleetwood Mac!!
Old 08-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very good point ChiliD and I totally agree. However, at the end of the day it is just everybodys individual opinion and some people put that point across alot more subjectively than others. To turn round and say
Quote:
as far as Stevie goes, sitting in your room high and righting lyrics, well, anyone could come up w/ something interesting
is bound to get peoples back up. I admit Stevie is my favourite but I would never talk about Lindsey or any of the other members in that tone. I see their faults....heck i see Stevie's faults but there is a way to post how you feel to spark discussion without having to resort to childish insults that are obviously going to offend

Pip
Old 08-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

I agree with ChiliD wholeheartedly. I don't think this is a place where everyone should do the following:

I LOVE FLEETWOOD MAC. Who else does? Really, you too? Yay! Aren't they all so great?! I just don't have enough praise for every one of them! What? Are you putting one of them in anything less a heavenly light? Out with you, devil worshiper! Sheesh. So...anyway...who loves Fleetwood Mac???

I believe this is a place where differing opinions should be shared and embraced. What better than to hear another take on a situation? How somone feels about a particular aspect of the band. And why didn't you make a giant stink over the thread called "Least favorite Fleetwood Mac song"? That's just downright blasphemous! I'm sorry, I'm not in a great mood for this kinda stuff...
-Brian
P.S. Gypsy-Rhiannon...would offend who? Why would you take comments about a musician personally? One may disagree with them, but...that's his opinion, not an insult. It's just what he thinks and I don't believe it's up to you to say it's bad or unacceptable.

Last edited by bjk3047; 08-12-2002 at 12:03 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'course you could also argue the point that being high and writing interesting lyrics is a talent unto itself. I know when I personally have gotten "high" which nowadays is a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, I take to my room and like to nap myself...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64

Last edited by Bella Figura; 08-12-2002 at 12:02 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the issue is that if you're going to state your dislike for a member of Fleetwood Mac, who are musicians, than please do it constructively and make it about *the music*. If you're going to come to a board and just insult a particular member for reasons other than that... well, that's just downright rude. I don't mind those people who actually do constructively contribute to threads (which is the majority of you), but if you've just come here for bashing purposes, what's the point? Do you have nothing better to do?

Laura.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think "rattling the cage" is a GOOD thing. The threads get really dull & monotonous when it gets to the "preaching to the choir" stage. How many fawning posts, along with equally fawning responses can there be without just beating one's head against the keyboard in frustration? Where's the sharing of ideas? Where's the discussion? Those type of threads die off quickly, but the controversial threads with serious discussion, as radical as they may seem, have a long life. Where it crosses the line is when the "discussion" goes from giving opinions about the band, to attacking the posting party themselves. Opinions on the band are as diverse as the number of Ledgies, albeit many Ledgies seem to have common opinions here & there.

That's the thing about Fleetwood Mac...it's long & controversial history, the sheer number of members, to the gossip & "soap-opera" of their non-musical, yet very public lives, etc. There's so much to discuss, there's so many "sides" that can be looked at, and not all of them "pretty".

Fleetwood Mac is dead, long live Fleetwood Mac!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, 'discussion' would be nice... we all have different opinions or the world would be a boring place... but some people clearly don't get the point of 'discussion'. To me, the word 'discussion' suggests having some respect.

Laura.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:30 PM

Chili and Brian, you're absolutely right.

Now we have to not only watch how we address each other here (and of course we should all be civil), but we also have to walk on egg shells when posting about band members? For instance, Gypsy-Rhiannon says, "There is a way to post how you feel to spark discussion without having to resort to childish insults that are obviously going to offend." Yet, I don't see any "childish insults" here. What I see is a post by someone (in another thread) who made a comment about Stevie in jest. Never really truly insulted her. From what I understand, the statement happened to be factual. Hey, you don't like it, that's OK. But to try to police how someone refers to a member of the band is going a bit far.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonnaGypsy
Yes, 'discussion' would be nice... we all have different opinions or the world would be a boring place... but some people clearly don't get the point of 'discussion'. To me, the word 'discussion' suggests having some respect.

Laura.
Laura, I hate to be picky here because I know you mean well. But "discussion" does not suggest or imply respect in any way, shape or form. A "discussion" is a formal or informal exchange of ideas. To "discuss" means to debate, to argue. Nothing in those terms implies "respect."

However, we should treat each other with respect on this board. But does that mean if someone has a particular opinion of Stevie or any other band member that the person writing the opinion should have to present it in a way that is acceptable to people who can't even take a joke?
Old 08-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Look, I just don't think it's a joke if someone's taking cheap personal shots at a certain band member. I know some people may think it's funny, but if everyone turned round and starting doing the same to the band member they like the most... well, I think feelings would be a little different. What kind of debate is one that's not conducted with respect anyways? Whenever we've conducted debates in class, we've always been told that you shouldn't start arguing or taking cheap shots at people... you should present your opinions in an informed and respectful manner, otherwise you're just displaying immaturity and an inability to convey your opinions intelligently.

Laura.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:51 PM

Quote:
[i]What kind of debate is one that's not conducted with respect anyways?

Laura. [/B]
A presidential debate?
Old 08-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lolCarneVaca

I have not participated in Speech and Debate Classes since I've been out of school which has been quite a number of years (my 20th reunion being this year), but I do believe Laura is officially right...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64

Last edited by Bella Figura; 08-12-2002 at 01:04 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 01:01 PM

Well then, can you blame us? If candidates for president act like children firing cheap shots at each other, how should we behave?

There is the issue: Our leaders have done us a great disservice. Blame it on the politicians!