Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Ledgie

Default Radio Play

Hey guys! Do you think that radio is going to play any of their new tunes? Do they have a chance at all? The station playlists seem to be so limited and it's tough for older artists to get their music heard. When TISL was out last year I swear that I heard Gypsy (original) more than the new songs. I would love to know what you think.

Last edited by Lisa44; 10-01-2002 at 01:40 PM..
Old 10-01-2002, 01:38 PM

Lisa, I'm sure 94 HJY (does that station still exist?) will play a song or two.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Ledgie

Yup, it's still there. They played POTU for about a month or so and that was it!
Old 10-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hopefully, the rock stations will add some new songs to their playlists and probably the adult contemporary will play a new song or two. It would be great if FM got a big hit off the new album. But in the end, it's not something I will worry about since I plan to buy the album.

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 10-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

In my opinion, this album is going to be SO GREAT that they're going to have to play it!!

Joe
Old 10-01-2002, 06:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
In my opinion, this album is going to be SO GREAT that they're going to have to play it!!
Man, I hope you're right, Joe. But I felt the same way about "Trouble In Shangri-La". I thought it was such a strong collection of songs, and so very radio friendly - especially "Every Day" - that it would be in heavy rotation last summer. But it sure wasn't on any of my stations. I heard "Every Day" twice on the radio and never heard "POTU" or "Sorcerer".

Still, "Silver Springs" and "Landslide" got tremendous airplay around here in '97...one station even played "The Chain", "Don't Stop" and "Go Your Own Way" (Dance versions) at least a couple of times. So maybe it's just solo Stevie they have a problem with around here.

I have noticed a rise in Mac music on the radio though. I've been hearing "Rhiannon", "GYOW" and, of all things "Little Lies", alot lately, on several different formats - classic rock, 80s & More, lite rock. I don't know if it's coincidence or if there is actually some support from the stations in anticipation of the "Year of the Mac".

I do wonder how much of it has to do with "buying" radio play. I know less than nothing about the radio business, but I don't think most of the acts I'm hearing on Top 40 stations are there due to their musical abilities...

Mike B.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mike,

You know I really love Stevie and her music, especially her work on TISL....some of her best imo. But Stevie, as popular as she is, or has been, has never quite carried the same weight that FM has. The name alone is enough to make people take at least some notice.

Lets remember that the Dance was basically a greatest hits live cd with none of the new songs on there pushed as singles, and probably shouldn't have been. It was a time to celebrate the past and to make fresh beginnings for the band, a time to heal. I just wish they hadn't taken so long to come out with this next cd to be released in 2003...but we all know how that goes.

Anyway, no matter how long it took between cds, from Tusk to Mirage or from Mirage to TITN they always seemed to recapture the attention of the media in a big way. It has been a long time since those days, but it's the first time Lindsey and Stevie have done a full fledged studio album TOGETHER since then. I really don't think the magic is gone or will ever be gone when those two get together to, shall we say "make music" together. I think it's going to be special and everyone's going to take notice AGAIN.

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 10-01-2002 at 08:19 PM..
Old 10-01-2002, 08:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default True...

Quote:
from Tusk to Mirage or from Mirage to TITN they always seemed to recapture the attention of the media in a big way.
Yes, you're right about that! And I do think that this new project will get noticed. I think it's encouraging that Reprise is focusing on this "Year of Fleetwood Mac" thing. I wish we were seeing a little more promotion with the "Very Best of"... maybe some one-off performances (Letterman, SNL) by the band would be a good start. But by the first of the year, we should be seeing heavy marketing. I'm excited.

They're sure to get a lot of mileage out of the whole "first Stevie/Lindsey studio work in a long, long time". (And dare we hope that Buckingham Nicks might finally get released on CD after the tour is over? Nah. Never happen. )

Quote:
I really don't think the magic is gone or will ever be gone when those two get together...
Me neither! To paraphrase Keith Olsen (or maybe flat out quote him, I can't remember), "those two voices were meant to sing together..." And I can't wait to hear it again.

Mike B.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lisa, I'm sure 94 HJY (does that station still exist?) will play a song or two.

Yes, before TISL came out they played POTU for a very short time. They even had a special promotion for TISL one weekend, giving the CD and a booklet away. However during the entire weekend I don't think they played one song from the cd.

Even when Lindsey's OOTC came out they did not play one song from the CD. They did broadcast Lindsey's VH-1 concert back then, however. I can't remember the name of the special.

I rarely ever listen to FM radio. I am starting to tune into AM talk radio. Now I am really getting old. LOL
Old 10-02-2002, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When TISL came out, the classic rock station here in NY played POTU and Sorcerer quite a lot. The adult contemporary stations played Every Day. I hear FM played here all the time on those stations, so maybe a song or two will be played.. for a while at least.

Michelle

~long live the queen... under the skin~