User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonnaGypsy
......Not coming here for over ten years is not good promotion and I would think they've almost fallen completely off the map in terms of notoreity.......
Not only that, I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong please) the last time Lindsey sang or played a single note OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.A. (let alone the U.K.) was 22 years ago.

I was planning to go and catch the L.A. show if time and funds allow anyway, but seeing as this is most likely going to be the last Fleetwood Mac tour ever (and therefore I MUST see them no matter what), l will be SERIOUSLY p**sed off if I'm (in effect) FORCED to travel at least 6,000 miles and spend probably well over £1000 to see them, simply because they can't be bothered to show up here.

Quote:
... we're just sick of being snubbed by a band who seem to have forgotten where they came from.
Absolutely....pefectly said.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm LA bound also! They still bloody well better get themselves over here!

Pip
Old 09-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
I'm LA bound also! They still bloody well better get themselves over here!
Let's hope!!

Old 09-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those of us outside of the US are not just bitching for the sake of bitching... we're just sick of being snubbed by a band who seem to have forgotten where they came from. Not that I blame them for not wanting to come to England, LOL, because I'm leaving as soon as I get the chance. But there are fans over here... and England is such an important market in terms of music buying, perhaps even more important than the US because it prides itself on being hip and cutting edge to a point. But if you want to sell records, it's all about promotion, promotion, promotion.
The opposite side of the coin is that Fleetwood Mac albums (the pop ones) don't usually make a terribly big splash on the British charts, and when they do (like "Tango" & "Mask") the band tours there. If the British make this next album a Number 1, the odds probably skyrocket that the band will play there.

As for touring & promotion, I wonder whether the whole promotion model has changed from 25 or 30 years ago. The promotion seems to be the marketing for the album, & the touring itself seems primarily designed to fill coffers (in other words, as a huge revenue generator). Whereas in the old days, the tour was not profitable except insofar as it pumped up interest in an album. "The Dance" album was promoted by the TV concert, & the tour was supposed to just make money directly rather than to specifically beef up sales of the album (which had already sold millions even before the tour started).

Does this seem feasible?
Old 09-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
Not only that, I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong please) the last time Lindsey sang or played a single note OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.A. (let alone the U.K.) was 22 years ago.
That was the last time he played anything like a full concert on another continent. But he & fleetwood mac did some promotional stuff in 1998 in England & Germany for which he played some tunes.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The opposite side of the coin is that Fleetwood Mac albums (the pop ones) don't usually make a terribly big splash on the British charts, and when they do (like "Tango" & "Mask") the band tours there. If the British make this next album a Number 1, the odds probably skyrocket that the band will play there.
But the Brits have to know about it to make it skyrocket! Not everyone is on the net. I was without the internet when The Dance happened and I knew nothing about it till quite some time after when I happened to spot the cd in a shop. I had read nothing about it anywhere.

Pip
Old 09-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was quite amazed today when Mrs nodmod found out on the net the cost of going to Boston in April, seems she doesn't mind coming over at at all.

All the time I thought I would I would have terrible trouble persuading her to travel to the USA again to see Fleetwood Mac.

But so be it, If we have to come over then that's what I/We will do, but hey Mick sort yourself out and get your band over here to the UK.

I have a terrible image in my mind that a European tour will be scheduled to happen after the North American 40 - 60 dates, and after the North American tour has wrapped, there will be a problem, and no tour........................much like 1998, TISL in 2001

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 09-06-2002, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, the only thing I can say about this is why don't we just wait to see what happens? Did anyone really think FM (with or without CM) would be touring or making new albums? And all of the sudden it happened. But there's no point in just giving up hope and complaining now whenever we don't really know what will happen. If anything, FM has proven to be very sparatic. And in earlier interviews, didn't they say they were gonna tour for a long time? Again, saying and doing are two very different things, but until it's done (or in this case, NOT done), I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Canada likes Fleetwood Mac Too

I hope that the band does come to Canada and plays a few dates. I live in Ottawa and since they haven't toured here at all chances are that I wiill have to trek to Toronto where they almost play. (Except the last tour). Also Can someone tell me why the only Canadian date in Vancouver for the Dance tour was cancelled? I was reading the tour dates and noticed this one date was cancelled and no explanation was given.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If memory serves me right (which lately it hasn't), it was RUMORED that Stevie got really upset because she didn't want to do the show, and so they canceled it. If this information is wrong, please someone tell me...but that's the RUMOR (again, I repeat RUMOR) that I heard.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
[B]If memory serves me right (which lately it hasn't), it was RUMORED that Stevie got really upset because she didn't want to do the show, and so they canceled it. If this information is wrong, please someone tell me...but that's the RUMOR (again, I repeat RUMOR) that I heard. /B]
MTV reported that rumor. Later on, the truth surfaced: The problem was a transportation delay involving the band's shared use of a chartered private plane. They were stranded at the Tacoma airport and would have been late for the start of the show (in Vancouver). The only argument that took place was a discussion at the airport over whether to try to rush across the border to Vancouver or to just forget about it.

The fact that this happened to the Vancouverites -- who don't see Fleetwood Mac much -- is a bummer.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Those of us outside of the US are not just bitching for the sake of bitching... we're just sick of being snubbed by a band who seem to have forgotten where they came from. Not that I blame them for not wanting to come to England, LOL, because I'm leaving as soon as I get the chance.
You have every right to be upset about it. I know I would be. I'm just hoping that they will add some more dates as the tour progresses.

I do have to disagree with you though about not wanting to come to England. We lived in Suffolk for 4 years. I definately wouldn't mind living there again. Unfortunately, my husband feels the same way you do.

-Karen
Old 09-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Ledgie

I feel for all the overseas fans, I hope they come over there for you guys. All I can say besides that is that I hope they come to Colorado.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:33 AM

Quote:
The fact that this happened to the Vancouverites -- who don't see Fleetwood Mac much -- is a bummer.
Yes, David, it was a bummer all right. I'll never forget getting off the skytrain at Stadium Station and seeing all these grumpy people getting ON the train. "Show's been cancelled," they said. I just wouldn't believe it. I'd waited in line for hours to get these great seats, too. I'd been so pumped. What a letdown.

Anyway, we went to a bar and drank and bitched the rest of the night. I guarantee you we did not toast the band.

As for the reason(s), I heard so many conflicting stories in the press that I just accepted we'd never really know why. I must admit, I was anti-FM for a while after that, especially since the rumors seemed to center on Stevie just not wanting to go to Canada. I don't believe that now, but at the time I was angry enough to believe anything.

By the way, someone posted earlier that LB hadn't played outside of the U.S. for 20-some years. Technically, that's not true. As I've described here before, he played an absolutely mind-blowing show at the Commodore in Vancouver in the early 90s. Very intimate setting and just a stellar performance. The press raved about it for days, saying that the small audience that attended got the show of a lifetime. I'll never forget it, for sure.