The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What is your FAV Live song?
Rhiannon: Mirage Video 2 9.09%
Big Love: The Dance Video 6 27.27%
Everywhere: Tango In the Night Video 6 27.27%
Gypsy: Mirage Video 2 9.09%
Say You Love Me: Dance Video 2 9.09%
Im So Afraid: Rosebud Video 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ditto JMN3. I agreed with EVERY single word. The three standouts are GYOW The Chain and and SOTM. Rhianon rocks. it's my favorite tusk. Eyes of the world rules here. Stevie's very energetic, unlike her being DEAD on TITN. I'm so Afraid is haunting with the chris vocals. Songbird is Songbird. And just the whole concert is like A CONCERT. And a great rocking one. While Tango in the Night is like a jumbled up mess where Stevie is asleep and Billy and Rick just can't compare to Lindsey (Although they ARE good. They can't do lindsey's parts)

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
Billy and Rick just can't compare to Lindsey (Although they ARE good. They can't do lindsey's parts)
Perfect example being The Chain. I *HATE* The Chain from the Tango and BTM tours. Sorry to Billy and Rick, but as you said Hawkeye, they just couldn't do some of Lindsey's parts. Maybe if that video would have been a bit less polished, and had some of the new guys' solo works mixed in with some older Mac tunes and the Tango songs, the whole thing would have been better. As it stands, that thing sucks. A great concert video like Mirage was followed up by that piece of work Tango. Dammit!

Haha, can anyone tell how much I HATE this video!?

Also on Mirage, I would have to say you find the best live version of Blue Letter that is circulating.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jmn3

Perfect example being The Chain. I *HATE* The Chain from the Tango and BTM tours. Sorry to Billy and Rick, but as you said Hawkeye, they just couldn't do some of Lindsey's parts. Maybe if that video would have been a bit less polished, and had some of the new guys' solo works mixed in with some older Mac tunes and the Tango songs, the whole thing would have been better. As it stands, that thing sucks. A great concert video like Mirage was followed up by that piece of work Tango. Dammit!

Haha, can anyone tell how much I HATE this video!?

Also on Mirage, I would have to say you find the best live version of Blue Letter that is circulating.
jmn3 and Hawkeye, I agree with EVERYTHING you said, in both ur posts on this thread! haha! I HATE the Tango In The Night video. And I HATE Billy and Rick's version of The Chain....Nobody get me wrong..Billy and Rick are brilliant artists and extremely talented, but I just cannot stand them doing Lindsey's parts for any song...their guitar work and vocals on The Chain (any of their live versions).... aghh!..it sounds like they're trying too hard or something! I hate it! they've tried to "polish it up" and have just totally ruined the spirit of the song.......in fact this applies to all the songs on the video....i could go on and on about camera angles and "over-production", but you two said everything I wanted to say about this video, (and the Mirage video, which simply rocks from start to finish!).

The only thing that's stopped me from the throwing the video away is a) for FM "complete-ness" b) I like Billy and Rick's version of "Oh Well"...I like what they did with that.

(All this just MHO....!)

Last edited by seteca; 07-30-2002 at 06:21 AM..
Old 07-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bad Times

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
I HATE the Tango In The Night video. And I HATE Billy and Rick's version of The Chain....Nobody get me wrong..Billy and Rick are brilliant artists and extremely talented, but I just cannot stand them doing Lindsey's parts for any song...their guitar work and vocals on The Chain (any of their live versions).... aghh!..it sounds like they're trying too hard or something! I hate it! they've tried to "polish it up" and have have just totally ruined the spirit of the song
I was never very keen on Rick Vito's guitar style for either "The Chain" or "World Turning," & I think the reason why is that Rick doesn't finger pick, & those two songs especially are essentially finger-pick style. When you listen to Rick's playing on "World Turning," for example, what you don't hear is the buildup in intensity & dynamics that you heard with Buckingham on performances like those in Australia or Japan in 1980. The problem with "The Chain," too, seemed one of dynamics that stemmed from the power-chord approach or standard picking.

On other songs, Rick's style worked beautifully -- like "I Loved Another Woman" or "Brown Eyes" or even "Tear It Up."

The concert video for "Shake the Cage" is one of the worst releases the band in any incarnation ever foisted on the public. Nothing dates faster than yesterday's empty flash. The idea that the rest of the band actually let Nicks shoot closeups on a soundstage in order to intersperse them with actual concert footage just shows how confused & benighted the group was -- a rudderless ship with no apparent captain, no one to say, "This is a very bad idea & we won't do this because it's inane."

Those were unfortunate years in many ways for the Mac. The sole decision-makers at the time were the coked-up Mick Fleetwood & the heavily medicated Stevie Nicks, which is why the band's professionalism was frequently called into question & its status as a Rolls-Royce among rock acts was continually undermined.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca

Billy and Rick are brilliant artists and extremely talented, but I just cannot stand them doing Lindsey's parts for any song...their guitar work and vocals on The Chain (any of their live versions).... aghh!..it sounds like they're trying too hard or something! I hate it! they've tried to "polish it up" and have have just totally ruined the spirit of the song
Ohh, another awful example of this is GYOW. It's my favorite song, not just FM related, but overall. There aren't too many versions that I am un-fond of. I have heard one version from the Rick/Billy years (Manchester 1990) and it's just horrible. I know exactly what you are talking about with the polished up on what seems like every song. I hate the way they arranged GYOW with respect to the guitar work and especially the vocals. It seemed like Stevie was trying to come off Mirage-like (when she did her little "another lonely"'s), but she sounded more like a wounded cow. They took away from the whole meaning of the song (Lindsey's anger, hope, etc...) and made it more of an anthem. To me it sounded like Queen was covering GYOW more than Fleetwood mac doing their own song.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wanted a wide variety of songs.

I didn't want to use TITN , but I wanted to have the main live videos used...AND songs from each artist.

So thats why its not just all Mirage or Lindsey or something.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally agree that the Mirage video kicks major a$$. Every song is genius.

The TITN video cracks me up because if you look at the credits at the end, there is actually a director just for Stevie's close ups!! I just found that hilarious.

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 07-31-2002, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by golddustchic
I totally agree that the Mirage video kicks major a$$. Every song is genius.

The TITN video cracks me up because if you look at the credits at the end, there is actually a director just for Stevie's close ups!! I just found that hilarious.
You know...Stevie was looking SOOO lovely those days! It's a wonder that you would WANT to have close-ups of her. ESPECIALLY *THOSE* "infused-close-ups" that they did! What a joke! As someone mentioned, what a very low point for the band the mid and late 1980's were. Well for that matter, the early 90's weren't so hot either!