User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That’s a ridiculously unnecessary number of overdubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think less may have been more. Particularly on this song....as much as I love it.
I completely agree. I have loved recent Buckingham-produced music in spite of the many tracks, not because of them. As much as I love the 'Buckingham McVie' album, I wish I could hear a version of the songs with just their two voices, with nice crisp harmony.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LB embroiders small-scale pieces the way a craftsman might bejewel a pillbox. He makes highly-sophisticated miniatures.

By comparison, Danny Kirwan’s tunes sound spontaneous.

LB’s production is largely successful, though there are misfires: on LB/CM the most blatantly unnecessary production moves are on “Game of Pretend.” That’s a beautiful song with great bones. The arrangement throughout should have stayed as plain and skeletal as it is in the verses. The thick Brian Wilson choral in the chorus sounds imposed upon the song rather than a necessary outgrowth of it.

Conversely, the thick layering of vocals on “Love Is Here to Stay” provides the tune with a stunning dynamic shift.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These are such red herring arguments about overdubs. It is how Lindsey builds songs, how he has always built them. Rumours era Fleetwood Mac is track upon track. Be it Go Your Own Way, Silver Springs, Sara, Gypsy, Hold Me, Everywhere, or Little Lies, it is what he does and is an intrical part to their defined and best known sound. It is his sound.

You don't have to like it, but you really don't know know this particular era of Fleetwood Mac without the layer upon layer of recorded sounds.

For what it is worth the Eagles, particualrly Frey, with the full support of Henley, were studio rats when it came to production and obsessive overdubbers too.

Of course Lindsey was the spawn of the King of tracking and overdubbing - Brian Wilson.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
These are such red herring arguments about overdubs. It is how Lindsey builds songs, how he has always built them. Rumours era Fleetwood Mac is track upon track. Be it Go Your Own Way, Silver Springs, Sara, Gypsy, Hold Me, Everywhere, or Little Lies, it is what he does and is an intrical part to their defined and best known sound. It is his sound.

You don't have to like it, but you really don't know know this particular era of Fleetwood Mac without the layer upon layer of recorded sounds.

For what it is worth the Eagles, particualrly Frey, with the full support of Henley, were studio rats when it came to production and obsessive overdubbers too.

Of course Lindsey was the spawn of the King of tracking and overdubbing - Brian Wilson.
THIS.

Exactly. There's no such thing as too many overdubs, when we're talking Lindsey's world. I'm sure they don't all get used, but he can add different textures on different tracks, and choose which works the best, later.

This ain't some pop punk band. Thank god.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
THIS.

Exactly. There's no such thing as too many overdubs, when we're talking Lindsey's world. I'm sure they don't all get used, but he can add different textures on different tracks, and choose which works the best, later.

Yep!

If you listen to some of the “Alternative” tracks from the Box sets of Tusk and Mirage you can get a good sense of some of the songs that used less or more overdubs on the final released tracks.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post

No problem with multiple overdubbing- its the Lindsey way and the Fleetwood Mac way.
I'd be very interested in hearing a stripped back version of Feel About You as I think that might have benefited from a simpler sound. Ditto Game of Pretend, as Aleuzzi says.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-31-2020, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All of those overdubs made that album sound so much better than “Fleetwood Mac,” “Rumours,” or “Tusk,” which were 24 tracks.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-01-2020, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All of those overdubs made that album sound so much better than “Fleetwood Mac,” “Rumours,” or “Tusk,” which were 24 tracks.
The above is technically correct, but at the same time not accurate. They used multiple 24 track consoles for Rumours. It is complicated and time consuming to record and mix this way and technology has now certainly allowed for almost infinite multiplication of tracks, but Rumours era Fleetwood Mac was well ahead of its time in multi-tracking. The 24 tracks would end up with the equivalent of 50-60 tracks on the final 24 track mix. They cut, spliced and inserted newly recorded pieces over and within prior recordings on a track and compiled sound on top of sound without saturating the tape. Something ProTools would make far easier many years later. Of course eventually Rumours was mixed with ProTools 5.1 Surround, bringing more of these layers to our ears.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...o-your-own-way

Last edited by John Run; 06-01-2020 at 06:37 AM..
Old 06-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
THIS.

Lindsey's overdubs is EXACTLY WHY I LOVED THIS BAND. As a teenager I would listen on headphones and try to find hidden gems in the tapestry. He sometimes misses, but he is pure genius.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...od-mac-233617/

It’s the 40th anniversary, so it’s time to finally put it out on CD and maybe do a tour with the old band, possibly including Waddy Wachtel and the other guys.

Oh, the old band with Waddy Watchtel. Wow. Well, listen, I would love to do a tour with Stevie. I think that would be very appropriate. She was talking about doing it in between legs of a Fleetwood Mac tour, which is not going to happen. It’s logistically impossible. It’s economically suicidal because you can’t do enough touring it make it worthwhile.

Putting out Buckingham Nicks, I’m totally down with that. To do what she’s talking about, we need some bonus tracks. We need to do one from each of us. I’m totally down with that. I’m not necessarily opposed to doing that in a Fleetwood Mac set, although it hits me a little bit like we’re going off message. But did she mention any other new material to you? I bet she didn’t.
This is a very interesting interview in that you can tell Lindsey's had enough of Stevie's bullsh*t for so long, it comes across so clearly.

She has destroyed any proper Fleetwood Mac creativity since Say You Will and it's still infuriating. Lindsey mentioning a potential album back in 2012 is sad to read.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just listened to some tracks from this amazing Fleetwood Mac album on a road trip in the car heading home from a family gig.......

In My World
Red Sun
Carnival Begin
Old 06-21-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I just listened to some tracks from this amazing Fleetwood Mac album on a road trip in the car heading home from a family gig.......

In My World
Red Sun
Carnival Begin
I always reach to skip Red Sun and before I can push the button, it grabs me and I leave it on. I love the chorus.
Carnival Begin is a beautiful song. She nailed it. It doesn't get a lot of love, but the story behind it, to me, is amazing.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 06-21-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Old 06-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I always reach to skip Red Sun and before I can push the button, it grabs me and I leave it on. I love the chorus.
Carnival Begin is a beautiful song. She nailed it. It doesn't get a lot of love, but the story behind it, to me, is amazing.
Lay Down For Free is my only sometimes skip song. It just doesn't do it for me. Sounds like a drum machine, and I don't care for the guitar lick thingamabob. That is all.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Lay Down For Free is my only sometimes skip song. It just doesn't do it for me. Sounds like a drum machine, and I don't care for the guitar lick thingamabob. That is all.
The drum machine bothers me too. And he opens SYW with that same crappy drum machine too. I'm not a huge Lay Down fan. I do love the harmonies.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The drum machine bothers me too. And he opens SYW with that same crappy drum machine too.
Color me as one of the three people on Earth that LOVES What's The World Coming To. It's probably my favorite song on the dirge collection that is SYW.