User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Okay, I forked over for the reissue (digital format) solely because I wanted to hear the early versions of the songs.

Surprisingly, I was NOT disappointed! These are not merely recordings minus overdubs but actual early takes, with scratch vocals and occasionally very different instrumental ideas. As usual, I think the final album reflects wise decisions but I have to say I am truly digging the early takes of “Over My Head” and “Sugar Daddy” in particular. On “Over My Head” we get this bright, bouncy piano riff—and for the first time I can see how Christine originally conceived it on her little honer piano. The piano part is similar to that which is used on “Heroes are Hard to Find.” I also love the variations in her voice here. It sounds like a live-in-studio take.

“Sugar Daddy”— wow! If anyone ever doubted Christine’s effectiveness as a keyboard player, they need to listen to her piano and organ work on this. Add to that her bluesy vocal in which, toward the very end of the song, her range hits lower notes than I’ve ever heard from her. The voice on this take is very much a similar, if more developed voice as the one she had on CHRISTINE PERFECT.

I like the electric piano jazz chords and frequent guitar fills on World Turning.

“Crystal” sounds so timeless in it’s barest state. Lovely.

I’ve heard all of the live stuff before except the version of Over My Head. So glad to get that material in digitally remastered form.
These aren't really early takes of the song but early versions. The overdubs are different, but the core of the song made it to the final versions. I still ove them though.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
These aren't really early takes of the song but early versions. The overdubs are different, but the core of the song made it to the final versions. I still ove them though.
Yes, I wrote early take but meant early version. Hence “scratch vocals.”

On “Over My Head” I sense the piano was not an overdub but part of the original base track. The riff is so integrated into the song conception. The decision to remove it was cool (it created a lot more space) but I can also see how that piano riff was probably tied to her composition process.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 01-20-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Old 01-20-2018, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

On “Over My Head” I sense the piano was not an overdub but part of the original base track. The riff is so integrated into the song conception. The decision to remove it was cool (it created a lot more space) but I can also see how that piano riff was probably tied to her composition process.
I love the overdubs they did but the mix on these early versions sound more alive to me. By the way Chris comes off the best on these tracks, just wow. Her vocal takes to me on her tracks are better then what made it to the final version.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I take some of that back. Songs like World Turning are completely different takes, drums and all. So different.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Really interesting ISA (instrumental version). I see how it became a live jam.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

EVERY...SINGLE...SONG in the 5.1 surround mix is absolutely sublime! It's like a completely different record! I'm totally loving this!!!

The live stuff from Warner Brothers studios sound almost EXACTLY like the Midnight Special performance. Can someone confirm this?

Regarding the tour disc, "Station Man", "Why", "Blue Letter", "Landslide" and "Hypnotized" are the stand out tracks for me. They all sound amazing! Those harmonies!!! I can't get over how young and energetic they were all sounding and playing in this era! Definitely a "snap shot" in time! ❤️
Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default $$$?

What's the best price so far for this set?

I've seen it for $79.99 at Music Direct.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
The live stuff from Warner Brothers studios sound almost EXACTLY like the Midnight Special performance. Can someone confirm this?
If you're referring to the "Burbank Studios" performance, it is the Midnight Special recording: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burbank_Studios
Old 01-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

I agree about the 5.1 Surround. Once again Ken Caillat does an amazing job. I hate to say it or give him credit, but he knows how to engineer quality surround. It’s really too bad they couldn’t of got him to transfer Tango to 5.1 Surround. That high res bull**** is just a waste of time. Anyways back on topic. In my opinion it’s the best collection of the 5 super deluxe releases. I love the early takes, even if the song is worse it still gives you another take and inside look to the creative process. The live stuff is excellent. I love hearing Lindsey sing and play on the songs from before he was in the band. I prefer his renditions over the originals by far. His vocals are easily an upgrade and he’s always had a way of making one guitar sound like 2. So he holds his own vs. the previous guitarists in Fleetwood Mac. So now I ask, where do they go from here? I really doubt any other FM album will get deluxed.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just listened to the remastered CD and singles. I haven't gotten any farther yet. Everything sounds so crisp and the vocals!! I really loved Crystal. Actually brought a tear to my eye. I'm sure I'll go crazy over the early takes and live stuff when I listen. Oh and the 5.1

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorites so far are the instrumental versión of ISA, World Turning (love the three part harmonies!), Sugar Daddy and Over my Head are indeed the reason why Christine is Perfect! I agree about her vocal range. It's one of her best performances.

I'm not that impressed about Rhiannnon. My favorite is still Oklahoma 1977. Love the beginning though. "Some night you wake up and Rhiannon is right there"

Love those raw version of Crystal and ISA.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
What's the best price so far for this set?

I've seen it for $79.99 at Music Direct.
I ordered from Amazon UK and paid $55 with shipping to the US. Someone here or on FB shared the link, and I was surprised at the difference.

ETA: here's the link but price has increased. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleetwood-M...in%3A382534011

Last edited by jenniferuk; 01-21-2018 at 10:22 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
I ordered from Amazon UK and paid $55 with shipping to the US. Someone here or on FB shared the link, and I was surprised at the difference.

ETA: here's the link but price has increased. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleetwood-M...in%3A382534011
Thanks for the info Jennifer.

I did see that it's been cheaper through AmazonUK.
But for some reason most of my packages come
damaged from them. Even after contacting them
and asking for special packaging.

I'm keeping my eyes open. Guess I'll play the waiting
game.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Are the remasters of the originals and the singles noticeably better than the previously remastered originals and singles from the last reissue? (I'm not talking about the DVD, but the CD version).

Also, are any of the early versions on Disc 2 duplicates from previous reissues?

Last edited by sodascouts; 01-22-2018 at 07:27 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Remixes and Early Takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Are the remixes of the originals and the singles noticeably better than the previously remixed originals and singles from the last reissue? (I'm not talking about the DVD, but the CD version).

Also, are any of the early versions on Disc 2 duplicates from previous reissues?
I did not notice any improvement in the re-masters from the last re-issue.

I believe the only outtake previously released was Jam#2.