User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t believe Tom’s death and Mike’s subsequent availability was a significant factor in Lindsey getting fired.

It’s unfortunate Mike Campbell became available, but there were other legendary, iconic guitarists available if Tom hadn’t died. They could have easily gotten Jimmy Page. He’s not doing anything major without Led Zeppelin and he’d LOVE to be back on the arena rock circuit. His first phone call would have been to his travel agent to get him on the next flight to Maui and his second phone call would’ve been to Robert Plant to say “blow me.”

I agree Tom's death is not a factor, despite many wanting to make it one.

But....Jimmy Page?? I mean, yeah, I guess if he didn't care what he played and just wanted to get back on a posh tour (reminds me of an interview with Michael Caine talking about various movies he'd done and why he'd done them and he said about certain films "I did it for the money" or "I did it because I wanted to work with a certain director and didn't care that the movie wasn't that good"). (to be clear, I think FM's music is good...duh!) Otherwise, I can't realllllly see Jimmy Page being a support player for a twirling chick -- both onstage and offstage, as she is indeed now effectively running the band and calling the shots.

Also, musically, I just don't see his playing fitting their hits. Sure, the old FM blues stuff, but really, you can imagine him trying to adapt his style to play the required bits on Dreams, Gypsy, Never Going Back Again, Little Lies, etc etc??????? Before anyone freaks, I'm not saying he can't play the songs, but the guitar parts on any FM song are more melodic and integrated into supporting the song, not about showing off scorching solos, and don't have big, driving chords (esp not Stevie's songs, where he'd essentially be playing the same one or two chords throughout).

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-08-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
But....Jimmy Page?? I mean, yeah, I guess if he didn't care what he played and just wanted to get back on a posh tour
He’s kind of in the same boat as Mick and John. Without a singer, he doesn’t really have a job.

Quote:
Otherwise, I can't realllllly see Jimmy Page being a support player for a twirling chick
Any worse than Robert Plant?

Quote:
Also, musically, I just don't see his playing fitting their hits. Sure, the old FM blues stuff, but really, you can imagine him trying to adapt his style to play the required bits on Dreams, Gypsy, Never Going Back Again, Little Lies, etc etc??????? Before anyone freaks, I'm not saying he can't play the songs, but the guitar parts on any FM song are more melodic and integrated into supporting the song, not about showing off scorching solos, and don't have big, driving chords (esp not Stevie's songs, where he'd essentially be playing the same one or two chords throughout).
I get what you’re saying. The thing is, Zeppelin had that mystical side as well as the blusier stuff. Stairway, Battle Of Evermore, Babe I’m Gonna Leave You, etc. Plus, the violin bow thing would be cool AF on GDW.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree Tom's death is not a factor, despite many wanting to make it one.

But....Jimmy Page?? I mean, yeah, I guess if he didn't care what he played and just wanted to get back on a posh tour (reminds me of an interview with Michael Caine talking about various movies he'd done and why he'd done them and he said about certain films "I did it for the money" or "I did it because I wanted to work with a certain director and didn't care that the movie wasn't that good"). (to be clear, I think FM's music is good...duh!) Otherwise, I can't realllllly see Jimmy Page being a support player for a twirling chick -- both onstage and offstage, as she is indeed now effectively running the band and calling the shots.

When I first read that suggestion from SteveMacD I though 'what the ****?'
It was the most ridiculous thing I'd read in....ages.
But you know what....? its actually not that far fetched. I bet Jimmy would do it just to p!ss of Plant. Yes, he's pretty much idle at the moment. He loves touring. He loves the big life. Yes- I bet he probably would have said yes.

As Steve points out; Stevie...see Robert Plant

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He’s kind of in the same boat as Mick and John. Without a singer, he doesn’t really have a job.

Any worse than Robert Plant?

I get what you’re saying. The thing is, Zeppelin had that mystical side as well as the blusier stuff. Stairway, Battle Of Evermore, Babe I’m Gonna Leave You, etc. Plus, the violin bow thing would be cool AF on GDW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
When I first read that suggestion from SteveMacD I though 'what the ****?'
It was the most ridiculous thing I'd read in....ages.
But you know what....? its actually not that far fetched. I bet Jimmy would do it just to p!ss of Plant. Yes, he's pretty much idle at the moment. He loves touring. He loves the big life. Yes- I bet he probably would have said yes.

As Steve points out; Stevie...see Robert Plant

So basically, then, he'd be doing it for all the Michael Caine reasons.

Fair enough. I don't know the politics and band dynamics within Zeppelin so will have to defer to you guys on that one. But isn't it funny the sort of predictable relationships across most bands between the lead guitarist and the singer. I watched a recent clip of Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend doing something together live and Pete couldn't help take a swipe at Roger -- something to the effect of how Roger never wrote any of the songs, how he, Pete, did all the work musically. Roger refused to be drawn in and just said, "I still love you anyway, Pete".

Not knowing the inner workings of Led Zeppelin I am only able to try and imagine it musically, and I still see FM as on the whole far more pop than Zeppelin and a weird transition to plug Page into.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Google "Jimmy Page and Lori Maddox" and tell me again that adding him to FM would be a good idea. I mean, all the big Rock'n Roll bands had their share of underage Groupies, but Jimmy Page is one of the worst offenders (besides David Bowie, Steven Tyler and (this Rolling Stones bass-player who was so boring that his name escapes me all the time) Bill Wymann). Robert Plant is not available because he is busy with his own projects, he does not sit around waiting for a gig.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Google "Jimmy Page and Lori Maddox" and tell me again that adding him to FM would be a good idea. I mean, all the big Rock'n Roll bands had their share of underage Groupies, but Jimmy Page is one of the worst offenders (besides David Bowie, Steven Tyler and (this Rolling Stones bass-player who was so boring that his name escapes me all the time) Bill Wymann). Robert Plant is not available because he is busy with his own projects, he does not sit around waiting for a gig.
Equally bad was Ted Nugent.... getting his teenaged girlfriend's mother to sign over her parental rights to him and making him her legal guardian.....
Old 11-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I for one never said it would be a good idea....and I certainly do not know him or about him well enough to pass judgement on his behaviour with underage groupies. All I personally said is that I think there's a good chance he'd have taken the gig if he'd been offered it. I'm not sure Steve suggested it as a good idea either- again, I just think he said he'd have been available and there's a decent chance he'd have said yes.

Fleetwood Mac are far more 'pop' than Led Zeppelin... but Jimmy Page can turn his hand to anything. And its a job. And it would have been a middle finger to RP.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Google "Jimmy Page and Lori Maddox" and tell me again that adding him to FM would be a good idea.

Funny how Lori doesn’t seem to have any regrets.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't even fathom the levels of delusion that are required for someone to genuinely think that Jimmy Page of all people would join Fleetwood Mac in the year 2018.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I can't even fathom the levels of delusion that are required for someone to genuinely think that Jimmy Page of all people would join Fleetwood Mac in the year 2018.
Hmmm. What makes you feel this way dreamsunwind?

Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Funny how Lori doesn’t seem to have any regrets.
actually not true. In the years since she began seeing it differently.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
actually not true. In the years since she began seeing it differently.
Just out of curiosity, this is what I found.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...knroll-groupie

Quote:
Lori Mattix (sometimes known as Maddox) says she was just 14 when she lost her virginity to David Bowie. Her next lover was Jimmy Page. Now 59, she says she never thought of herself as a groupie, but tells me that the affair with Page was “the most beautiful pure love I thought I could ever feel. I’d only had sex once before in my whole life. I felt like I’d won the lottery.” She juxtaposes it with other experiences “where men have harassed me … it’s a different thing when you allow someone to be with you”.

Mattix was under the age of consent, she says, when Page pursued her. Post-#MeToo, does she see the situation differently? “I think that’s what made me start seeing it from a different perspective because I did read a few [articles], and I thought: ‘****, maybe,’” she says. As for whether Page was in the wrong: “That’s an interesting question. I never thought there was anything wrong with it, but maybe there was. I used to get letters telling me he was a paedophile, but I’d never think of him like that. He never abused me, ever.” Still, Mattix sounds conflicted – rapturous reminiscences (“honestly, I had a great time”) are followed by cautionary notes. “I don’t think underage girls should sleep with guys,” she says. “I wouldn’t want this for anybody’s daughter. My perspective is changing as I get older and more cynical.”
I guess I don’t see the relevance of something that happened 46 years ago. It seems to me that most rockers of that era have done some shady things. Lori certainly never felt victimized and even got back together with Page briefly in the ‘80s. This point is just a red herring.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 11-08-2018 at 04:11 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So basically, then, he'd be doing it for all the Michael Caine reasons.
He can close his eyes and take the money with the best of them.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He can close his eyes and take the money with the best of them.
that's another guy's prerogative. the guy who's responsible for existence of 75% of all those songs they are playing.

Jimmy Page is an actual bigger name than anyone in FM. him joining (which he would never even consider, planes or arenas notwithstanding) would never sit well with the diva ruling that roost right now.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess I don’t see the relevance of something that happened 46 years ago.
and yet people keep bringing up that stuff over and over and over on these boards.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"