User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I think we had a discussion here a while back where that setlist and a lot of stuff in Peter Lewry's book was inaccurate.
Us fans don't even know half of the songs he talked about in that book.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I think we had a discussion here a while back where that setlist and a lot of stuff in Peter Lewry's book was inaccurate.
Ya, I've heard that too, that's just what the book said. That's why I put it on here. The songs we haven't heard of, didn't thay all say they brought about three new songs each to go over? Maybe those are the new songs we never heard?

James
Old 07-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulDrifter21
Ya, I've heard that too, that's just what the book said. That's why I put it on here. The songs we haven't heard of, didn't thay all say they brought about three new songs each to go over? Maybe those are the new songs we never heard?

James
Could be. I'm sure someone out there knows.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The rehearsal setlist printed in Peter Lewry's book, was originally posted on the internet around the time of 'The Dance.'
In fact, I think the Ledge may have been the first place it was posted.

The person who leaked the info claimed that he managed to get a copy of the setlist after attending a rehearsal. He had made additional notes about which songs they rehearsed more than once (which is why some are listed twice).

If the setlist is to be believed, I've always thought that "Where Were You" could have perhaps been the working title for "Temporary One" ("where (were) you, darlin', when my moon is rising...), but who knows.

Legitimate setlist, or not, it's too bad "Twisted" didn't find its way into the set for 'The Dance' OR the 'Say You Will' tour, and "Little Lies" would have been cool to hear, too.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down little lies

I'd like to think that they just regret the fact that they ever recorded it. Oh my Lord, I go around for a shameful walk everytime the repetative brainillness is on the radio. Yes, it did sell. So did achy breaky heart.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd like to think that they just regret the fact that they ever recorded it. Oh my Lord, I go around for a shameful walk everytime the repetative brainillness is on the radio. Yes, it did sell. So did achy breaky heart.
ARGH!!!! %^&*&$*)$(!!! (clutching heart "Elizabeth, I'm coming to see you").
I guess there's NO accounting for taste, or lack thereof...
Old 07-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
ARGH!!!! %^&*&$*)$(!!! (clutching heart "Elizabeth, I'm coming to see you").
I guess there's NO accounting for taste, or lack thereof...
Oh I'll take the tattoo "tasteless pr*ck" on my forehead any minute if it's based on the disliking of Little Lies. I'm not ashamed of calling that drone an assault on the human ear.

Old 07-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've always thought "Little Lies" was a fun, catchy little song, with a great chorus and terrific harmonies.

Fleetwood Mac IS a pop/rock band, after all, and "Little Lies" is a perfect example of a mature but spritely pop/rock song.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I've always thought "Little Lies" was a fun, catchy little song, with a great chorus and terrific harmonies.

Fleetwood Mac IS a pop/rock band, after all, and "Little Lies" is a perfect example of a mature but spritely pop/rock song.
I agree. I've always loved Little Lies and it's one of Chris' catchiest tunes, if I do say so myself. And I love the remixes.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
The rehearsal setlist printed in Peter Lewry's book, was originally posted on the internet around the time of 'The Dance.'
In fact, I think the Ledge may have been the first place it was posted.
Was it here? I don't remember. There was a thread going in April 1997 on Usenet (alt.music.fleetwood-mac), in which "reg" Greg said that somebody from Reprise posted the info on the AOL board.

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...0ix.netcom.com

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2004, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezamatic
Boy they really changed it up by the end of it! That seems like a really weird list to me for a reunion/comeback show. Lots of classics missing, like Gypsy, YMLF, Silver Springs, Tusk, ISA, etc. and no Bleed to Love Her! I dunno, it doesn't seem to make sense to me, I don't think I believe it (no offense, hehehe )...
This may be what they rehearsed that particular day. When the band got together they most likely put a huge list of songs together to run through, then started eliminating the ones that didn't fly. The list clearly included new songs, and you can tell from this particular list that other new songs were under consideration. Or course we ended up with My Little Demon, Bleed to Love Her, Temporary One and Sweet Girl as the new songs.

As far as what translates well to the stage from the record, I honestly believe any song can be performed live. It just comes down to an issue of what you want to compromise. I know Everywhere gets dissed, but I thought the song sounded fresh and catchy on the The Dance. Little Lies could have been done with some compromise. Hell, Lindsey's even figured out how to do Red Rover live, and that wasn't easy.

Yesterday I stumbled on an album of stripped-down versions of songs by a band called A3 (Alabama 3 in Europe). I was pleasantly surprised at how skilfully these guys stripped down the songs to their acoustic essence. A lot of the numbers come across as pretty much straight blues, and their studio versions were hopped-up electronica-meets-the-blues kind of stuff. Very cool.

A band that has always been able to play whatever song they want on stage, regardless of how it was recorded, is the Stones. In fact, some songs come alive on stage in a way that does not come across on record. If you will, this is typical of the blues, and much of the Stones is still blues music to this day. But even stuff like the moody, jazzy Out of Control from the last studio record, kicks ass on stage.

The drawback with many of Lindsey's arrangements is that they require considerable compromise for playing the stuff on stage. For some reason, this seems to happen more with Christine's songs. But it also applies to everything in Go Insane. To play the song Go Insane, he had to strip it down to an acoustic number. Of course, there's only so many songs you can do this with before turning the whole show into an acoustic showcase.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
Oh I'll take the tattoo "tasteless pr*ck" on my forehead any minute if it's based on the disliking of Little Lies. I'm not ashamed of calling that drone an assault on the human ear.

I've always thought Little Lies was catchy as hell. Strip it down and you have another You Make Loving Fun. Problem with Christine's songs a lot of times is that they sounded too much alike. We tend to accuse Stevie of doing that, but to my ear, Christine was much more guilty of doing this.