Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ZZ Top - Rattlesnake Shake

I know we've seen links on the Ledge to ZZ Top performing "Oh Well" but can't see that a link has been posted to this one of "Rattlesnake Shake". Apparently from a show from their earlier years - from a quick search on the web, it looks like this was a regular in their setlist in 1971 and 1972.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMfU5t_5eY
Old 11-19-2015, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I know we've seen links on the Ledge to ZZ Top performing "Oh Well" but can't see that a link has been posted to this one of "Rattlesnake Shake". Apparently from a show from their earlier years - from a quick search on the web, it looks like this was a regular in their setlist in 1971 and 1972.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMfU5t_5eY
i've never heard this either and didn't know they did rs. oh my goodness! have mercy mr gibbons. that's a great version. topped definitely except for the 'early peter green' intro

thanks sharksfan that made my 2015 right there

p.s. meant to say thanks for the earlier post on the fm guide - going to be a christmas present to myself

Last edited by mzero; 11-19-2015 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: p.s.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
that's a great version. topped definitely except for the 'early peter green' intro
i think the intro is the best part of this rendition - the blues feeling of billy gibbons at its VERY BEST! but there you go . . . different strokes for different folks.
anyway, a big thank you for pointing out this rare recording, sharksfan!
as strange as it sounds, but the top were at the top of their game in their early (bluesy) years, especially gibbons' live sound ('59 les paul through rio grande amps) was WAY superior in comparison to their later "gimmicky" years. sadly, after "tejas" they began slidin' downhill fast - into commercial sell-out . . . brrrr.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
i think the intro is the best part of this rendition ...
agree lp! i like the intro best because it sounds the most like peter (while not at all like part of rattlesnake shake). sort of like an announcement of their debt before they set out to make peter's song theirs...

z
Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know we've seen links on the Ledge to ZZ Top performing "Oh Well" but can't see that a link has been posted to this one of "Rattlesnake....
Never seen this before, thanks...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back during their "World Wide Texas" tour (1975/76), they played Anaheim Stadium. Their show was broadcast live on the radio (don't remember which station, however...may have been KLOS-FM Los Angeles)...I'm sitting there just boogying to their set when out of the blue they kick into "Rattlesnake Shake". I jump out of my seat & start running in circles in my room (picture Eric Cartman).

You'd THINK that since it was broadcast on the radio that SOMEBODY would've recorded it and circulated it in bootleg circles (or even a radio station employee would've dubbed a copy for that purpose)

That last statement can also be said for Fleetwood Mac's October 1995 "free concert" in Woodley Park in Van Nuys, CA broadcast live on KLSX-FM radio. No boots have ever surfaced from that.

Quote:
I know we've seen links on the Ledge to ZZ Top performing "Oh Well"....
ZZ Top or just Billy Gibbons solo? Billy did a version under his own name for that Fleetwood Mac tribute CD a few years ago. Never have seen/heard ZZ Top as a whole play "Oh Well".

Last edited by chiliD; 11-20-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Old 11-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
ZZ Top or just Billy Gibbons solo? Billy did a version under his own name for that Fleetwood Mac tribute CD a few years ago. Never have seen/heard ZZ Top as a whole play "Oh Well".
Of course you're correct, chiliD. He didn't do "Oh Well" with ZZ Top but with Blake Mills and Matt Sweeney.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Back during their "World Wide Texas" tour (1975/76), they played Anaheim Stadium. Their show was broadcast live on the radio (don't remember which station, however...may have been KLOS-FM Los Angeles)...I'm sitting there just boogying to their set when out of the blue they kick into "Rattlesnake Shake". I jump out of my seat & start running in circles in my room (picture Eric Cartman).

You'd THINK that since it was broadcast on the radio that SOMEBODY would've recorded it and circulated it in bootleg circles (or even a radio station employee would've dubbed a copy for that purpose)
going a wee bit off-topic here and now - but that's exactly the reason i've been pulling my hair off for ages: that there are no live recordings featuring vintage top (up until and including the wwt tour) in decent (at least halfway pro) quality. (the "fandango" live side being the only exception.) and most of the VERY FEW boots from that era sound like being recorded from out of town and are hardly listenable.

let alone videos from early to mid 70s top! so far i've only seen 2 (in words: TWO) songs on youtube played live in 1976 and 78 respectively - and they, too, give only a glimpse of what the "li'l ol' band from texas" was all about in their heydays.

too bad - but i'm still hoping for a minor (or major) miracle to appear . . .