The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Just imagine: who else could have been asked to join FM?

Could you imagine if Steve Perry had joined Fleetwood Mac?!? Imagine a mash up of Don't Stop and Don't Stop Believing! Steve singing the Chain would blow Stevie and Christine in the dust. Heck, he could probably sing Songbird better than Christine LOL. I do think this lineup would have been a mess, but a sell out mess!

What about Phil Collins? I don't think Mick would have liked that! A little too close to home, eh Mick? Still, I think this lineup would have sold very well, against all odds.

Any other crazy ideas?
Old 04-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Its odd that the 2 examples you gave (Steve Perry and Phil Collins) have retired from music because of health reasons. They could not have joined if they wanted to.
The Mac is in its last gasp of life. More dysfunction than ever. One member did not want to make new music but only wanted to tour. One member came back after 16 years and only wants to play and make new music. One member just survived cancer and will give one more tour. And one member is on a creative streak with creating an album that was critically acclaimed, toured small theaters, wanted to record more with the Mac, has a solo album to promote, and also wanted to tour with the Mac.
Since the Mac only plays the same songs every concert, why would you have any interest in bringing in new members? Stevie refused to create new music with the Mac yet she wants to tour with different members to play the same songs from the last tour?
At this stage, mashups of Journey/Mac songs or anything else is pretty pathetic IMHO. Really? I wish such energy would have been put into an amazing one last album. I always thought Oh Well by Billy Burnette was a sad sounding cover. I cant even imagine what's in store next
Old 04-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Could you imagine if Steve Perry had joined Fleetwood Mac?!? Imagine a mash up of Don't Stop and Don't Stop Believing! Steve singing the Chain would blow Stevie and Christine in the dust. Heck, he could probably sing Songbird better than Christine LOL. I do think this lineup would have been a mess, but a sell out mess!

What about Phil Collins? I don't think Mick would have liked that! A little too close to home, eh Mick? Still, I think this lineup would have sold very well, against all odds.

Any other crazy ideas?
Ace Frehley? Lol. Seriously though, as startled as I am by the selections, I'm excited at the prospect of older Mac tunes. Since all indications point to Stevie and Mick not wanting to do the same old same ol, this tour could be pretty interesting.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
Ace Frehley? Lol. Seriously though, as startled as I am by the selections, I'm excited at the prospect of older Mac tunes. Since all indications point to Stevie and Mick not wanting to do the same old same ol, this tour could be pretty interesting.
We will see. I have the opposite opinion. Adding 2 new members for a tour (not recording) makes the band play a more traditional set. IMHO they have to convince everyone they are still Fleetwood Mac. Unfortunately IMHO, the "older" material that will be played will be covered by the new guys. I really think they are forced to crank out the hits more than ever. Although its possible for Chris to do one blues song since now her song list increased by at least 3. We on this board are the hardcore fans. The Mac is afraid to play older stuff because the audience does not know it. These kinds of tours, they play for the mass concert attendee. In 1987 Stevie added 2 solo songs and a Buckingham Nicks song to the set. I also think she will play at least 1 solo song and a Heartbreaker song. I think we were counting on deep cuts from Tusk like Angel or Mirage's Straight Back. I think those kind of songs are out the window now. It will be their standard set plus 2 classic Mac tunes, plus Stevie solo/Heartbreaker song. Even on the Buckingham/McVie tour, Christine was extremely conservative. She had the chance to dig out some great songs. But she played only the hits (not including the new promotional songs from their album).

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-14-2018 at 05:25 AM..
Old 04-14-2018, 12:11 PM
HoursAndHours
This message has been deleted by HoursAndHours. Reason: Duplicate / grammar
Old 04-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We will see. I have the opposite opinion. Adding 2 new members for a tour (not recording) makes the band play a more traditional set. IMHO they have to convince everyone they are still Fleetwood Mac. Unfortunately IMHO, the "older" material that will be played will be covered by the new guys. I really think they are forced to crank out the hits more than ever. Although its possible for Chris to do one blues song since now her song list increased by at least 3. We on this board are the hardcore fans. The Mac is afraid to play older stuff because the audience does not know it. These kinds of tours, they play for the mass concert attendee. In 1987 Stevie added 2 solo songs and a Buckingham Nicks song to the set. I also think she will play at least 1 solo song and a Heartbreaker song. I think we were counting on deep cuts from Tusk like Angel or Mirage's Straight Back. I think those kind of songs are out the window now. It will be their standard set plus 2 classic Mac tunes, plus Stevie solo/Heartbreaker song. Even on the Buckingham/McVie tour, Christine was extremely conservative. She had the chance to dig out some great songs. But she played only the hits (not including the new promotional songs from their album).
I know you disagree, but I don't think they'll roll out Shaking the Cage part 2. I think Stevie is tired of the same old, and I'd bet we get 7 or 8 big hits and an FM version of the 24KG tour (not Stevie solo songs, but back catalog and older hits from FM). I would also bet that if there's a Heartbreakers tune it's either I Need To Know and/or SDMHA, I'd be game to hear either of those with Mike, Neil, Chris and Stevie But I'd put money on Freedom turning up too, and that's a deep cut I'd love to see live.

I discovered Fleetwood Mac during the BTM lineup, so I had to absorb Lindsey's contributions with all of their other "former" guitarists/singers. The result is that, in general, I love all of the Fleetwood Mac material, but this turn of events has reinforced my original interpretation that the only actual permanent members are Mick and John. I would love to hear Hypnotized, Green Manalishi, Woman of 1000 Years, Freedom, Hollywood, Bright Fire, etc., in concert.

Like a lot of folks, I'm sick and tired of the old setlists, and Stevie's tour was an enormous breath of fresh air for me. I hope she's at least convinced the rest of the band that it's fun to bring out the deep stuff.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
I know you disagree, but I don't think they'll roll out Shaking the Cage part 2. I think Stevie is tired of the same old, and I'd bet we get 7 or 8 big hits and an FM version of the 24KG tour (not Stevie solo songs, but back catalog and older hits from FM). I would also bet that if there's a Heartbreakers tune it's either I Need To Know and/or SDMHA, I'd be game to hear either of those with Mike, Neil, Chris and Stevie But I'd put money on Freedom turning up too, and that's a deep cut I'd love to see live.

I discovered Fleetwood Mac during the BTM lineup, so I had to absorb Lindsey's contributions with all of their other "former" guitarists/singers. The result is that, in general, I love all of the Fleetwood Mac material, but this turn of events has reinforced my original interpretation that the only actual permanent members are Mick and John. I would love to hear Hypnotized, Green Manalishi, Woman of 1000 Years, Freedom, Hollywood, Bright Fire, etc., in concert.

Like a lot of folks, I'm sick and tired of the old setlists, and Stevie's tour was an enormous breath of fresh air for me. I hope she's at least convinced the rest of the band that it's fun to bring out the deep stuff.

Oh They better do Green Manalishi! it’s a perfect song for mike Campbell to play. Plus it’s a well know song on multiple levels including the Judas Priest Cover which I’m not a fan of but then both hardcore Fleetwood Mac fans
Or just casual Fleetwood Mac and casual Judas Priest fans.casual Tom Petty/casual priest or even just casual Petty/peter green only Fleetwood Mac fan.

No excuse guys. GM is in the set or that will be the one thing to get me to boycott this tour too!

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-15-2018, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Freedom would never be played.
100% Guarantee that nothing from BTM or SYW will played
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Freedom would never be played.
Since Freedom was written by Stevie Nicks and Mike Campbell and appeared on a Fleetwood Mac album, and one without Lindsey, for that matter, there's a good chance they'll perform it live... especially in lieu of new material. It's a decent enough little rocker, and Mike could play the heck out of it live.

Save Me was their last top 40 hit and got a lot of play on MTV and VH1, and again, it's a FM song without Lindsey, so I think there's a small chance it could make the cut.

I'm all but praying As Long As You Follow FINALLY gets added to the set list. This one song alone would guarantee I go to their tour!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Freedom is utter dross. They need to keep this Fleetwood Maccy. Behind The Mask isn't Fleetwood Maccy enough. 99% sure they'd not play this.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Since Freedom was written by Stevie Nicks and Mike Campbell and appeared on a Fleetwood Mac album, and one without Lindsey, for that matter, there's a good chance they'll perform it live... especially in lieu of new material. It's a decent enough little rocker, and Mike could play the heck out of it live.

Save Me was their last top 40 hit and got a lot of play on MTV and VH1, and again, it's a FM song without Lindsey, so I think there's a small chance it could make the cut.

I'm all but praying As Long As You Follow FINALLY gets added to the set list. This one song alone would guarantee I go to their tour!
I would love to hear Freedom and so many other songs. But that is not going to happen. I will go further than Fuzzy. 100% As Long As You Follow and Freedom wont be in the setlist. Not a chance. They will play the hits. Stevie will play a solo and Heartbreaker song to take the place of her deeper cuts. Christine may have a deeper track and the new guy will play some Peter Green song.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-15-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would love to hear Freedom and so many other songs. But that is not going to happen. I will go further than Fuzzy. 100% As Long As You Follow and Freedom wont be in the setlist. Not a chance. They will play the hits. Stevie will play a solo and Heartbreaker song to take the place of her deeper cuts. Christine may have a deeper track and the new guy will play some Peter Green song.
Nah, they don't owe or need to convince anybody of anything and they know it now. I don't buy this being a standard hits tour at all. We will get some hits for sure (I still say 7-8 plus maybe a Heartbreakers tune, and maybe Don't Dream It's Over), but... "Est. 1967." I think they're gonna play older FM songs and deeper cuts from Chris and Stevie, just like she did on her tour. This is unlikely to be same ol, same ol. I do think they'll play GYOW, though, because I think they'll treat this as sort of a career retrospective.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Another reason they wont play Behind The Mask songs is they'd like to avoid people questioning why Lindsey hasn't been replaced by Billy & Rick...

Casual fan No1 to her husband: I think this song is from that really bad album they did with those other two guys when Lindsey left in 1987.
Casual fan No2 to his wife: Oh yeah. Why didn't they rejoin this time? That would have made more sense.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Another reason they wont play Behind The Mask songs is they'd like to avoid people questioning why Lindsey hasn't been replaced by Billy & Rick...

Casual fan No1 to her husband: I think this song is from that really bad album they did with those other two guys when Lindsey left in 1987.
Casual fan No2 to his wife: Oh yeah. Why didn't they rejoin this time? That would have made more sense.
I don't think casual fans can tell the difference between Lindsey Buckingham and Bekka Bramlett.

Also, I don't think Behind the Mask is a terrible album at all. I like it more than Tango, it's close to Mirage in my book.

Last edited by HoursAndHours; 04-15-2018 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Backwards typing? Lol.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

I suspect, sadly, that very few people are going to ask why Rick and Billy aren't on this tour. It simply wasn't that memorable a lineup, apparently.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

80% of Fleetwood Mac's live setlist never changes. With Lindsey gone it allows Chris and Stevie to sing a few more songs. IMHO those additional songs will be a Stevie solo, Heartbreaker song, maybe a Chris blues song, and something classic for the new guy to sing. We are not the group they are playing for unfortunately. They like any other band are forced to play the hits. Even during the last tour I was shocked how the crowd almost was silenced by I know I'm not wrong. Just one tune they don't know and the entire mood of the arena changes. I would like to change one of my predictions. I don't think they will do man of the world. Its too difficult in front of a large arena. Its such a beautiful solemn song. I think Fin could actually sing it but it requires a more intimate setting IMHO. We are die hard fans that know all the songs. That is not who they are playing for. Most are there to see Stevie and the band knows that (its just a sad reality). I've told this story before but in 1987 my heart sank during Over My Head. It was the first single the Rumours era put out. During this tour, Stevie left the stage during Over My Head. Once she left the stage and Over My Head began, thousands of people just rushed to the bathroom. It looked like a fire drill. I felt so embarrassed for the band.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-15-2018 at 10:48 AM..