Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Ledgie

Default 1980 Live album

Does anyone know the date the live tracks were recorded for the 1980 live album? I did read that most were from the Tusk tour, but that a few tracks were from the 1977 tour. I think Monday morning was recorded in Tokyo, and I'm guessing this was from 1977. I did see them on the Tusk tour (Stafford Bingley Hall, June '80) and they didn't perform Oh well or Don't let me down again, so I'm not sure if these live versions are from the Rumours tour. Does anyone know any more? Thanks, Richard.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Ledgie

It gives the venues on the sleeve/booklet with the album/cd , but not the dates unfortunately.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:50 PM

They're here on the discography part of this site: http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=37
Old 06-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I LOVE the 1980 Live album. So glad Mick got his way with doing it because the band and Warner Brothers did not want to do it. They just did a 2 disc Tusk that did not sell up to expectations. The Live album was considered a flop and everyone pointed fingers at Mick and was like "told you so." But looking back its wonderful Mick got his way.
There were a few odd choices like the guitar string breaking during Don't Stop. Why would you include that live version? OMG the beautiful Over and Over which is really another song live. I never cared for Dreams. The live version recorded at sound check in France was recorded before Dreams was a hit in 1977. I think it was just released. IMHO Stevie is finding her footing in the song and trying too hard. I think that is the reason it sounds so different than all other live versions of Dreams.
I love the photos inside the album. Boy the hours I spent looking at the inside of that album
Old 06-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for the link! So only 11 of the 18 tracks are from the Tusk tour, and 6 from 1977. I didn't know Don't let me down again was from the '75 tour. Would I be right in thinking this was the only tour where they performed this? I think Frozen love was also on this tour. I'd love to hear Mac's live version of this. Best tracks on the 1980 live album IMO are Rhiannon and Go your own way. Rich.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmac View Post
I didn't know Don't let me down again was from the '75 tour. Would I be right in thinking this was the only tour where they performed this?
Stevie & Billy also performed it on the '87-'88 Tango tour.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think Frozen love was also on this tour. I'd love to hear Mac's live version of this.
Frozen Love has never been performed live.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I didn't know Don't let me down again was from the '75 tour. Would I be right in thinking this was the only tour where they performed this? I think Frozen love was also on this tour. I'd love to hear Mac's live version of this.
Don't let me down again was played also in 1987 on the Shake the cage tour.
There are two bootleg performances of Frozen Love by Fleetwood Mac circulating, one from the 1975 Oakland bootleg whose Youtube link dreamsunwind posted below, and the other one from the South Orange bootleg that I unfortunately lost.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 06-05-2018 at 05:26 AM..
Old 06-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just love this album. It has my favorite version of Rhiannon because it has both taken by the wind and taken by the sky versus instead of just wind like the recorded version, or sky like in most later concerts. Also love these versions of One More Night, Over My Head, Over & Over, Sara, Fireflies and I’m So Afraid.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The mystery of Sara is an ongoing mystery. How did they rerecord a lead vocal in 1980 and make it sound like the Mirage tour vocal?

There was a Pop Eye (Patrick Goldstein) article in the Times in the weeks before the end of the tour in L.A. It said that the band was going to record the final two shows for a live album. I guess the band didn't like what they heard, and decided to make the album a cobbling together of different times and places. We've all talked before about whether we would have preferred a single unified warts-and-all recording from one night.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The mystery of Sara is an ongoing mystery. How did they rerecord a lead vocal in 1980 and make it sound like the Mirage tour vocal?

There was a Pop Eye (Patrick Goldstein) article in the Times in the weeks before the end of the tour in L.A. It said that the band was going to record the final two shows for a live album. I guess the band didn't like what they heard, and decided to make the album a cobbling together of different times and places. We've all talked before about whether we would have preferred a single unified warts-and-all recording from one night.
I haven't listened to it in years but I think the Hollywood Bowl bootleg (I guess this would've been the last concert of the tour) was pretty good but from what I recall, they were pretty rough by then.

I've loved the Live 1980 album for years but quite honestly, some of what came out on the Tusk Deluxe release is far superior or good in their own right. Sara and Rhiannon were from late in the tour and they sound great despite not being "peak" and some of the stuff from that Wembley 6/22/80 show is phenomenal. It was nice to finally get an official release of so many of the Tusk songs that the Live 1980 album ignored. I'll never get how they ignored Tusk, Sisters, You Make Loving Fun, or the freaking Chain on that album!?