User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Sometimes NTF was about 15 minutes long.
i should look up those NTF vids. didn't even realize there was a guitar solo in NTF live.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
a long guitar solo because it's not taking time away from another part of the show that might be a bit more exciting then hearing 'wang wang wang.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
Personally, I love those harder rock moments with FM. You make a good point about "taking away" from something else in an FM concert though.
yeah, and his guitar solos are not even very long, by comparison to other bands. they are pretty nicely measured. some bands manage to get in only 10 songs in 2 hrs b/c of various long solos

but agree with both of you - and that was exactly my point - FM audience (at least what seems to be considered their classic audience of the past) may not be appreciative enough of that kind of music - heavier edged, guitar driven. they'd expect to hear something else instead.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i should look up those NTF vids. didn't even realize there was a guitar solo in NTF live.
I don't even want to talk to you, Elle.

You are most familiar with Mick's NTF solo, I guess.

Michele
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would just add that in the old days, FM did more of what I considered an actual band "jam" on NTF, with one player responding to another player's riff in a way that seemed fairly spontaneous. We all know that FM doesn't do that kind of thing any longer.

Michele
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't even want to talk to you, Elle.

You are most familiar with Mick's NTF solo, I guess.

Michele
sorry!! i'll run to the youtube and watch those NTF vids as soon as i can!!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would just add that in the old days, FM did more of what I considered an actual band "jam" on NTF, with one player responding to another player's riff in a way that seemed fairly spontaneous. We all know that FM doesn't do that kind of thing any longer.
yeah, that would be nice!

also, some of those old studio jams they did

Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, kinda posted replies to random snippets here.

I made my wife listen to the 12 (or so) minute version of NTF on a live Tusk bootleg back a while ago, she still hasn't forgiven me (she doesn't like Lindsey's Tusk work, although for some reason she likes IOOT/I/TTWLG).

Quote:
no. Lindsey performed acoustic versions of Big Love and Go Insane since his 1992/93 solo tour.
My bad; I've actually seen videos of that (OOTC) concert series too!!

Same difference though, we know why you changed the song, that was 20 years ago, we don't need a solo extravaganza. Play it full band or change to something else.
I think he will always play it, though, because it was a #1 hit, wasn;'t it?

Quote:
also, what he says about the person being able to change i believe has a significance to him that we may or may not understand. i partly interpret it as him changing from being drugged-up angry bitter person in the late 70s and 80s, to the more mellow, accepting, and contemplative person he seems to be today.
Oh, I understand it, the time during Tango was a nightmare, and things are 'all good' now. But the story has been repeated a thousand times, and we don't need it as a justification for playing it acoustically any more. If he wants to, fine, but the story needs retooling, it's not 1992/1997 where he just got done with FM turmoil.

Quote:
that's interesting and different interpretation. i think those songs are too off the Mac's middle-of-the-road sound, which he tried to change time and again starting with Tusk, and never seems to be really happening. they are more rocking, edgier songs... not mellower mac-ish songs people seem to prefer. i was actually thinking of something very similar when i was looking at my list of Lindsey songs that i would like to hear on FM tour, that are normally not performed by them:
Agreed, totally. I wish he would forget that mellow Mac nonsense, he proved with his GOS stuff on SYW he can mix them beautifully while not being too mainstream, like the examples you gave.

I remember tons of crowds cheering on Murrow and Come, etc, at SYW concerts, based of bootlegs I've heard.

Lindsey definitely needs to revamp his part of the setlist, though. SN's is going to include a lot of ploddy and predictable songs, Rhiannon, Dreams, GDW, Landslide etc and Lindsey needs to balance it out with the "left side of his palette", the "small machine" of his artistic side, if you will.

Quote:
On a SN stage I'm bored silly with long guitar solos that Waddy performs. The intro to Edge is endlessly boring because of that.
I never posted a concert review of my SN show a few weeks back, but you'll be happy to know Edge has been cut down, less intro nonsense. It was 10 minutes said and done, not 15 like on previous tours. The intro was half as long, maybe less. (May have skipped a verse during the main song too.) Thank goodness!!

Quote:
FM audience (at least what seems to be considered their classic audience of the past) may not be appreciative enough of that kind of music - heavier edged, guitar driven. they'd expect to hear something else instead.
Well, but that's their loss. SYW was an album released as a FM album, you can't recall it and forget it now. Especially LB with all his big talk should insist on some harder, edgier songs from Tusk and SYW in the set, at least one or two. He only has so many Rumours songs to fill his hour of the set anyway

Last edited by Spikey; 10-15-2012 at 06:39 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Well, but that's their loss. SYW was an album released as a FM album, you can't recall it and forget it now. Especially LB with all his big talk should insist on some harder, edgier songs from Tusk and SYW in the set, at least one or two.
completely with you (as you can see from my list)!

i can't tell you how happy i was to see BTLH and Come in his most recent solo setlist, considering he completely skipped SYW/GOS1 songs during the 2011 tour. (although 6 new SWS songs in the setlist were making up for it at the time.)

Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, i'm not so happy to see all the SWS songs dropped, bar SWS. But yeah, BTLH, Come, Stephanie- great adds. Hope I don't have to hear Dancin (Poor Little Raven) in a few weeks..

Back to FM, one more thing- talking about NTF made me think of IKINW. Do we want that to stay in the setlist? I thought that was awesome in 2009.. one of my faves from the show. Even Stevie got into it!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, i'm not so happy to see all the SWS songs dropped, bar SWS. But yeah, BTLH, Come, Stephanie- great adds.
yes. unless you count Rock Away Blind that he ended up performing at about one third of the shows on audience request. which was nice, but he could have easily have a couple of other SWS songs in the set too.

Quote:
Back to FM, one more thing- talking about NTF made me think of IKINW. Do we want that to stay in the setlist? I thought that was awesome in 2009.. one of my faves from the show. Even Stevie got into it!
i like IKINW live, it becomes a nice rocking song, although i find it more interesting on Tusk. but i'd rather hear something different / not performed yet from Tusk - like Walk A Thin Line, What Makes You Think You're The One, and The Ledge, to name just a few.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember tons of crowds cheering on Murrow and Come, etc, at SYW concerts, based of bootlegs I've heard.
I saw Murrow a few times and the audience did not seem to like it at any of the shows I was at. Come yes, not at the beginning, but the audience got involved at it reached its crescendo in the end.

Michele
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i like IKINW live, it becomes a nice rocking song, although i find it more interesting on Tusk. but i'd rather hear something different / not performed yet from Tusk - like What Makes You Think You're The One
This was performed on the Tusk tour.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This was performed on the Tusk tour.
lol, i know... so was Angel, etc. i keep writing never or rarely performed songs (like maybe on 1 tour so far) and one time i'm too lazy to put that in you catch me?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Speaking of, I would love for them to do Angel.