Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Amazing Pay Kirwan Tribute

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130719824

The Amazing: Fleetwood Mac's Psychedelic Shadows
by Kevin O'Donnell

NPR Music, October 21, 2010

When they're not backing Gustav Estjes in the Swedish psych-rock band Dungen, Reine Fiske and John Holmegard (along with singer Christopher Gunrup and Fredrik Swahn) make up The Amazing. And, true to its name, the group plays meandering, willowy psychedelic rock that's nothing short of jaw-dropping.

In the six-and-a-half-minute epic "The Kirwan Song," The Amazing pays tribute to Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan, cribbing the lead-guitar melody from Mac's 1972 track "Sunny Side of Heaven." But any relation to the bright old instrumental ends there. Instead, The Amazing cooks up a bewitching psychedelic feast, with rollicking, tricked-out drums, ghostly vocal "oooo"s and subtle organ washes. The guitar riffs slay, too, and even echo some of The Grateful Dead's deepest and most out-there live improvisations. "The Kirwan Song" fades out at the 4:20 mark, but just when you think it's wrapped, the track fades back in with a dazzling, freeform jam that'd make Kirwan proud.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very cool.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=michelej1;916416 "The Kirwan Song" fades out at the 4:20 mark, but just when you think it's wrapped, the track fades back in with a dazzling, freeform jam that'd make Kirwan proud.[/QUOTE]

Actually it would've made Peter Green proud. Kirwan was not a great freeform jam guitarist. The 1971 US late winter/early spring FM tour showed that nine months without Peter Green prior changed Kirwan's change of approach towards writing songs, and playing live. Peter Green just wanted to jam by this point. Kirwan was not happy. Yet I bet he wished he had Green back after FM hired Bob Welch.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Actually it would've made Peter Green proud. Kirwan was not a great freeform jam guitarist. The 1971 US late winter/early spring FM tour showed that nine months without Peter Green prior changed Kirwan's change of approach towards writing songs, and playing live. Peter Green just wanted to jam by this point. Kirwan was not happy. Yet I bet he wished he had Green back after FM hired Bob Welch.
It's hard to say. As much as Kirwan reputedly didn't like Welch's playing, I don't know if Kriwan would have resented Green's presence again. The notes to the Vaudville years dics claim Kirwan imagined himself the star of the band who resented Green's brief presence on the American tour sans Spencer.

Honestly, given all reports, I don't know if any guitarist would have made Kirwan happy.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It's hard to say. As much as Kirwan reputedly didn't like Welch's playing, I don't know if Kriwan would have resented Green's presence again. The notes to the Vaudville years dics claim Kirwan imagined himself the star of the band who resented Green's brief presence on the American tour sans Spencer.

Honestly, given all reports, I don't know if any guitarist would have made Kirwan happy.
Kirwan didn't like being the leader of FM, the stress was leading him deeper into alcoholism. While it's obvious Peter Green's behavior changed from 8/68-5/70-3/71, I think by the time Welch joined, Kirwan wanted 8/68 Peter Green back to run the band.

I can't get over Green/J. McVie's interview concerning John Mayall's "The Turning Point" documentary in 5/69, compared to Green's interview in 12/69 on a local Detroit TV station. Green in 5/69 was mentally sharp, and intense, while that 12/69 interview showed a relaxed, almost apathetic attitude (probably drug induced). Yet the live concerts were better all the way to the end of Green's departure, even after Munich '70. What a paradox.