The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still want to know...did they just forget about the killer guitar solo during Rhiannon and Sisters of The Moon? In the case of Rhiannon, did it get cut because of the new piano intro in 97 and every tour rehearsal since it just fell under the radar?

I've always wondered how much the removal of those solos was purposeful or just somehow forgotten.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I still want to know...did they just forget about the killer guitar solo during Rhiannon and Sisters of The Moon? In the case of Rhiannon, did it get cut because of the new piano intro in 97 and every tour rehearsal since it just fell under the radar?

I've always wondered how much the removal of those solos was purposeful or just somehow forgotten.
Yes! Instead of "tell me about what it was like breaking up and being in the same band!!!" questions, I'd rather we sat down and understood arrangements and changes over the years to their live show. With Rhiannon, that original 1975 arrangement with the solo, then the jam, then the "all the same"...then the final solo....it sort of died during the post-Lindsey years. In 1987, the few times they played Rhiannon, there was a solo before the "dreams unwind" part but by 1990 it was gone. Aside from the piano intro, the 1997-current arrangement of Rhiannon has pretty much stayed true to what was played in 1990.

Sisters was totally a victim of 31 years of inactivity. I doubt very much they went back to the 1982 shows or anything from Tusk when relearning the song. My guess is they played the studio track and tried their best to recreate that. In no way was Stevie EVER going to be able to carry the studio "to meeeeeeeeeeee" in 2013 so while 'her girls' did there wooooowoooo parts she chanted "sistahhhh" which was mediocre, but not awful. I didn't hate 2013-15 Sisters as much as most seem to but it sure as hell wasn't anything on 1978-82. I thought Christine added something when she returned on the keyboards that was missing during the 2013 tour.

The Chain was totally neutered in 1997 and the arrangement has not changed since. I think also they were at a time trying to fit more songs into the show, so the solos had to be removed or shortened. Meanwhile, we had to endure 12 minutes of the Gold Dust Woman crackhead dance and Mick's stupid drum solo. As for what they did in 2018 when the set dropped to what, 18-19 songs....no excuses.

Side note - the tight 5.5 minute version of Gold Dust Woman in 1997 is one of my favorites. I don't need the extra fluff that they later added on that one.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I love everything you wrote. Fleetwood Mac changed dramatically after Lindsey left in 1987. Stevie took over the band and had a good chunk of her solo touring band onstage with FM. This is when everything began to sound just like the records. Oh how I miss the live sound created by just 4 people(Mick, John, Lindsey & Christine) and of course SN's vocals. But just FOUR people created an incredible live sound that made those shows from the White Album to Tusk so memorable for me. A lot of you guys became fans after the release of The Dance. For me at that time (1997) there was nothing in their live performance that could duplicate the magic of the 1970's except Silver Springs. That SS was filled with raw emotion.
Can't like this enough.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post

they didn't forget. Stevie muzzled Lindsey so he doesn't outshine her. i remember so looking forward to those guitar parts on SOTM, such a waste.

when Christine came back, and especially on BuckVie tour, he was like a new man enjoying doing guitar solos on her songs - because Christine was happy to let him solo however he wanted. you could see him loving the You Make Loving Fun guitar parts.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry guys if this sounds sarcastic, but after five pages in this thread, narcissism or not, one can imagine that Stevie Nicks somehow still rocks . As Oscar Wilde said, "There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Old 08-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah on other forums i saw a number of posts from Neil Finn fans who hated his turn with FM, felt he was muzzled and not anything like what they love about him live, and they couldn't wait for him to go on the road on his own terms.
Reminds me of my reaction to Rick Vito. I didn’t think anything he did with Fleetwood Mac from 1987 to 1990 was all that terrific—except for one single plaintive little number called “I Loved Another Woman,” where the Fleetwood Mac contraption was shut down for three or four minutes and let this one guy sing from his guts. But that was it—three minutes in the whole show that were believable as an expression of musical emotion.

However, when I later saw Rick play guitar and sing, first for Bonnie Raitt and second for Stevie Nicks, it was like night and day. He was so much studlier as a guitar player with those two acts than he had ever been in Fleetwood Mac. He took control of the songs for Bonnie and Stevie and opened them up like a sports car on an empty highway. In Fleetwood Mac, he was just driving the limousine.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2020, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I was way too young to understand any of this at the time, but clearly something happened during the 80's because a lot of bands made this pivot at the time. I'm a pretty big Stones fan and the concert approach from 1981/82 as compared to their 1989-90 tours are indescribably different. They added a mini-band behind them and approached their catalog with the intent to mimic as best as possible, the sound of the album recording. Stones fans lament the change to the "Vegas-era" of the Stones in 1989 as compared to their live approach from 1969-82.

My take has been that the bands were older, the audience was older, there were less drugs and the ticket prices were much much higher. Middle-aged (and now senior citizen) baby boomers had, and were willing to shell out, larger dollars to see their heroes and relive a piece of their youth for one night...but were going to be a lot more critical of bands playing loose with the live performances. I don't know if I'm right at all, but just a theory I have had on it.
I think all of that came into play—the “philosophy” of live music changed in the industry. In the sixties and seventies, bands just drank a bottle of tequila and wailed. Whatever came out of the amp is what the show was. It was loose enough (and the musicians were still young enough) that inspired bits had plenty of room to surface. You attack your instrument (and your set list) very differently when you’re 28 and again when you’re 48 or 58. Rock concerts were bigger business and ticket prices were higher, so all the business people want you to be immaculate. If you had said to a psychedelic sixties band like Vanilla Fudge or to any number of hard-rocking seventies bands, “Be immaculate,” you would have been laughed out of the room. But it became the rule in the eighties.

Another thing that pushed things in a new direction—I think—is the transformation of the technology of live music. In a nutshell, you went from electric and electronic in the seventies: analog synths, tube technology, vocoders, wah pedals, two-channel stereo for keyboards (like Christine’s own late-seventies board, the Yamaha CP30), manual samplers like the Mellotron (which used Cr02 tape), and all the fun stuff musicians screwed around with in the studio and onstage (usually they played shows with the same instruments they were using in studios). In the early eighties, what changed? The digital revolution and an initial turn away from vintage sound. It’s funny but digital technology down the line was actually used to replicate vintage sound. This revolution in the size and sound of microprocessors really influenced what all these bands sounded like in concert. The technology in recording has always been great because it eliminated leakage without having to put everyone in separate rooms. But in a live setting, you look for a kinetic strength that the vintage approach was so great at capturing.

And let’s face it: drugs, too.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2020, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
(like Christine’s own late-seventies board, the Yamaha CP30)
Hey nerd boy, a friend was axing me what keyboard Christine used on Think About Me(in the studio). I told him I wasn't quite that nerdy, but had a friend who would know! Yes, I was bragging on you.

So what was it?
Old 08-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
they didn't forget. Stevie muzzled Lindsey so he doesn't outshine her. i remember so looking forward to those guitar parts on SOTM, such a waste.

when Christine came back, and especially on BuckVie tour, he was like a new man enjoying doing guitar solos on her songs - because Christine was happy to let him solo however he wanted. you could see him loving the You Make Loving Fun guitar parts.
When Chris was gone people used to say they wished that she would return so that Lindsey wouldn’t do interminable guitar solos. That made me laugh. Christine was sitting right there with him when he did 15 minute versions of his songs. She doesn’t care what he does. She is the last one who will get ISA or NTF shortened for you.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When Chris was gone people used to say they wished that she would return so that Lindsey wouldn’t do interminable guitar solos. That made me laugh. Christine was sitting right there with him when he did 15 minute versions of his songs. She doesn’t care what he does. She is the last one who will get ISA or NTF shortened for you.
It's true. Christine would jam with him on piano or organ. (Especially in the early days) Maybe because Stevie has nothing to do but twirl; she didn't enjoy the lengthy solos as much.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's because Christine is in a BAND.

Not some egomaniac with a self serving agenda to push.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's because Christine is in a BAND.

Not some egomaniac with a self serving agenda to push.
I think Stevie loved those really long versions of ISA and NTF. She was once asked what she did with so much time back stage. She replied that she "breathed steam" to keep her voice in check. Those long songs really gave her time to breathe so much steam so she could belt out Rhiannon

Heard it with my own ears
Old 08-18-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Stevie loved those really long versions of ISA and NTF. She was once asked what she did with so much time back stage. She replied that she "breathed steam" to keep her voice in check. Those long songs really gave her time to breathe so much steam so she could belt out Rhiannon

I honestly loved when she left stage during NTF and ISA. Watching the 4 of them was amazing.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-18-2020 at 04:55 PM..
Old 08-18-2020, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

god, remember when the idiot used to change clothes every 5 minutes?
Old 08-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

and steam is code word for coke