User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:38 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Gold Dust Woman

Hello,

I am new to the forum...had a particular question. I still have the old 8 track tape of Rumours that I first heard when I was about 3. Being a Rumours person, I have the LP, the 8 Track, Cassette, and CD of this album, and "Gold Dust Woman" is different on every one of these!

To me, the 8 track version is better so far. The screams at the end are more noticeable AND the song does not fade. The problem with the 8 track: too much hiss and not enough treble; there is so much hiss, you cannot tell where the song actually ends, as you can also hear parts of another track in the background.

The LP is also great, as it is "sped up" just a little and the screams are just as the 8 track, but the song fades in and fades out.

The Cassette fades in and out as well, but it fades out very early, as the LP fades very close to the end.

The CD is just right except for two things: one, the screams are buried in the background, and two: it fades right at the end, but it does not quite finish.

Okay, are there any versions out there that might do the song justice? What about The Chain CD set? I don't have that, but it may have the song just perfect on there, if it's on there at all. To me, the end of the song is just as good as the rest of the song, and I'm dying to find a fantastic version out there somewhere. I've the slightest idea if there's a single version, so I haven't went that route yet. Maybe there is a newly remastered Rumours CD?

What about it folks?
Old 06-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, not a re-mastered Rumours CD..........but a new Rumours DVD Audio disc that is amazing!!! If you've got a DVD player, check this DVD Audio out. You can hear things so much more cyrstal clear!!
And yes, there are different versions of many of these songs floating out there.
Welcome to The Ledge!!! Hope you enjoy posting......it's a great place!!!

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 06-22-2002, 10:35 PM
joe

Default Re: Gold Dust Woman

Quote:
Originally posted by graywolf1980

To me, the 8 track version is better so far. The screams at the end are more noticeable AND the song does not fade. The problem with the 8 track: too much hiss and not enough treble; there is so much hiss, you cannot tell where the song actually ends, as you can also hear parts of another track in the background.
I know what you mean greywolf! I heard the 8 track about 15 years ago...and although i only heard it once, i could've sworn that the ending on "GDW" extended beyond the album version and "The Chain boxset"...if i'm correct it quiets down to just the basic bass and drum/cowbell...i have the 8 track in my possession but no 8-track player available. Let me know if i'm wrong on this....also, yes, i know what you mean about some other tracks heard on that version. I have the original 45 of "YMLF" which has "GDW" on the back and during the ending ('pale shadow...") there is a guitar part that's absent on the cd version. And, yes, the background screaming is a lot louder which, i think, sounds cool. I also have an audio cassette of the album and that version is on there but it fades in.

There's also that version of "Rhiannon" (on 45) that has an added guitar part.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the demo of Gold Dust Woman where she is sort of like chanting. I never heard the 8 track one, and don't have a DVD player - bummer...
Old 06-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Junior Ledgie

Thanks for the posts! But now you all got me stirred up with questions.

Are there any other singles out there, other than GDW, that are different from the Rumours album? Like, if they fade a few seconds later, I sure would like to know about it.

About the demo of GDW, where do you get that? Is it from the Rumours are Rampant bootleg?

Does the new DVD have the added guitar on GDW that's on the single but not on the album?

For those who have not heard it, I have the ending for GDW from the 8 track on the net. I know it's not top quality, but it's the best I can do with what I've got; it also may take awhile to download. You just really can't tell where GDW ends, as the hiss is very loud. Anyway, the address is: http://wcgs.ala.nu/gdw.wav

Thanks!

P.J.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WOW! Thanks for posting that, PJ! I have the Rumours 8 track, but no player. I have never heard the ending to that last so long.

Welcome to the ledge! It's an awefully busy site, so it's hard to be bored here!

Maria
Old 06-24-2002, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi P.J. I have never heard of the Rumours Are Rampant bootleg. I just have some different demo tapes and Gold Dust Woman is one of the songs on them. If you want to make a trade sometime, I can let you know a bunch of songs that I have demos for. Just drop me an email sometime. I know how frustrating it is to hear about all these songs, and wish you could hear them too - I've been there before myself.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing P.J.! The regular Cd cut ends at about 8.25 on the wav and the DVD ends at about 12.00. Nice to hear all there is to hear. In reference to GDW demos, there are three out there:
1) Raw Mix - No bass part, not as much acoustic guitar
2) Studio Outtake - Alternate vocal take, segue to the 'loose' section is different
3) 'Staying True' verison - DVD version which some channels taken out to simulate a 'rough cut' effect
Sidenote: Am I the only one who realized that all the songs on the Rumours DVD fade out like 2 or 3 seconds later than we're used to hearing? Pretty cool I think.
-Brian
Old 06-25-2002, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Which demo is it that I have then, the studio outtake one? It has her singing in a quiet voice, and at the end is some "chanting" (ooo-oooo, ahhhhh, ahhh - that kind of cool stuff - I love it!). Then I have another demo that sounds pretty much the same as that, only no chanting at the end, none of the screams or anything either.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghosty
I love the demo of Gold Dust Woman where she is sort of like chanting. I never heard the 8 track one, and don't have a DVD player - bummer...
Now you have a reason to go buy one. Their getting cheaper everyday.
(I got my player the day Yellow Submarine was released.)
Old 06-29-2002, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Believe me, the only time I actually thought of wanting one was when I heard about the Rumours DVD! How cool it would be! But, I'm on a tight budget...such is life...[sigh]...
Old 07-24-2020, 08:19 PM
Ledgie

I well remember the Rumours 8-track when I bought it in 1977. I thought "God Dust Woman" was a great song, and liked how it ended (not a fade-out). I was disappointed in subsequent purchases of compilations where the song faded out, and the haunting vocals were not as prominent.

On recent tours (2014, 2019) I found "Gold Dust Woman" difficult to get through, and couldn't wait for the song to finish. It was way too long, and the GDW "dance" was just embarrassing. They could have performed another song or two if they'd shortened the song by about five minutes.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLamb View Post
I well remember the Rumours 8-track when I bought it in 1977. I thought "God Dust Woman" was a great song, and liked how it ended (not a fade-out). I was disappointed in subsequent purchases of compilations where the song faded out, and the haunting vocals were not as prominent.

On recent tours (2014, 2019) I found "Gold Dust Woman" difficult to get through, and couldn't wait for the song to finish. It was way too long, and the GDW "dance" was just embarrassing. They could have performed another song or two if they'd shortened the song by about five minutes.
I gave away my 8-tracks a hundred years ago, and I've always regretted giving away the FM ones. About a year ago, I found Rumours 8-track in a thrift store. Now if I only had White, Tusk, Live, and Bella Donna(the LAST 8-track I ever bought) back.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf1980 View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forum...had a particular question. I still have the old 8 track tape of Rumours that I first heard when I was about 3. Being a Rumours person, I have the LP, the 8 Track, Cassette, and CD of this album, and "Gold Dust Woman" is different on every one of these!

The LP is also great, as it is "sped up" just a little and the screams are just as the 8 track, but the song fades in and fades out.

The Cassette fades in and out as well, but it fades out very early, as the LP fades very close to the end.

The CD is just right except for two things: one, the screams are buried in the background, and two: it fades right at the end, but it does not quite finish.

Okay, are there any versions out there that might do the song justice? What about The Chain CD set? I don't have that, but it may have the song just perfect on there, if it's on there at all. To me, the end of the song is just as good as the rest of the song, and I'm dying to find a fantastic version out there somewhere. I've the slightest idea if there's a single version, so I haven't went that route yet. Maybe there is a newly remastered Rumours CD?

What about it folks?

Hi, I had the 8-track (and every other format) of Rumours back in the day, but I don't remember the ending being different. I read an article a while back where the band purposely mixed the songs differently for the different formats. They assumed that most people would be listening to cassettes (and 8-tracks) in the car so the whole album was mixed for what they predicated would sound better out of car speakers. There is also the time limitations of each format. 8-tracks were specially unique because each channel had to have the same amount of music for each channel. That is why some songs changed channels in the middle of the song (super annoying). It is possible that they extended GDW to fit the space of that channel for the 8-track so there wouldn't be extra empty space. Just a guess though.

For me, I am a big fan of Straight Back and when Mirage first came out I played the cassette to death. When I finally got around to listening to the album I noticed that SB was much different on the album versus the cassette. There are a lot of layers of vocals missing from the album version. When the remaster came out a few years ago and I saw several different versions of SB I got excited. Lo and behold none of the versions on the remaster are the same as the cassette either. I was really disappointed even though the other versions are good too. I did notice that one version has a slight drop out that bothers me every time I hear it. Not sure how that got by quality control. I burned the cassette version to a CD years ago, but I was hoping that I could get a more pristine copy of the cassette mix.

Years ago someone told me that they were buying the cassette version of another band's album because it had mixes that were not found anywhere else, so this must be a common practice for record companies. For one, it makes you want to buy every version/format of a band's albums just to collect all the different versions. If I could only tell you how many different copies and formats of Fleetwood Mac albums, especially Rumours, that I've bought over the years we would all be embarrassed.

Last edited by soul_drifter333; 07-24-2020 at 10:41 PM..
Old 07-24-2020, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
For me, I am a big fan of Straight Back and when Mirage first came out I played the cassette to death. When I finally got around to listening to the album I noticed that SB was much different on the album versus the cassette. There are a lot of layers of vocals missing from the album version. When the remaster came out a few years ago and I saw several different versions of SB I got excited. Lo and behold none of the versions on the remaster are the same as the cassette either. I was really disappointed even though the other versions are good too. I did notice that one version has a slight drop out that bothers me every time I hear it. Not sure how that got by quality control. I burned the cassette version to a CD years ago, but I was hoping that I could get a more pristine copy of the cassette mix.
Yep! When I finally got around to buying Mirage on CD(early 90's?), I was SHOCKED that SB was almost completely different! Extra vocals, AND the guitar licks at the end weren't on the cassette version I'd listened to for years. So was the original album version different than the cassette???