The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's discuss Stevie's songs on this new Deluxe version of "Mirage"!!!

Finally got the deluxe edition of "Mirage" in the mail early this morning. As luck would have it, this week is my "stay-cation" so I've been playing it all day long.

The 5.1 DVD is the best thing about this set! It's like a brand new album!!!

"That's Alright" - Sounds pretty much like the regular album and seems to be the lone contribution of hers on this new edition that hasn't changed much. The harmonies are a little stronger in the mix, which is nice.

"Gypsy" - OH MY GOD!!! The 5.1 mix is sooooooooo LUSH! I adore it!!! The echo of the xylophone intertwined with Lindsey and Chris' "Ooooooo" harmonies. Otherworldly! One can really tell why Lindsey considers this his favorite contribution to a Stevie song. There's so much going on but Ken's mix is perfection with the highs and lows. Hat's off to him! I also love that they brought her last line "still see your bright eyes" way up in the mix on this one.

"Straight Back" - Damn! This is almost like a brand new song with the old vocal. So much instrumentation that you could never hear before. Likewise with the harmonies. The best thing is the new Stevie vocals added during the "Hours and hours" part. Then there's the guitar flourishes that Lindsey does here and there, reminiscent of the Edge of Seventeen guitar lick. My only complaint is that they added so many new Stevie vocals and "upped" the volume, that Christine's harmony kind of gets lost in the mix. And it was Chris' harmony that partly made this song for me, personally.

Disc 2 - Outtakes

(Sidebar) - Has anyone else played "Suma's Walk" and sang the "Wild Heart" dressing room outtake along with it, instead? I know I have!

"That's Alright" outtake - This vocal is AMAZING!!!! This is THE VOICE! My favorite version of her voice was in the "Bella Donna/Mirage" era and (to some extent) even a bit of "Wild Heart". This outtake is purely Bella Donna and I wish they would have used this vocal on the final album, with Chris and Linds' harmonies over it.

"Gypsy" outtake - The castanets at the beginning are cheesy as hell! Glad they're gone from the final mix. I like Mick's bongos at the end, though! Not much here except a stripped down version of the album version, just with more prominent xylophone but missing Lindsey's familiar ascending/descending guitar part that we associate with this tune! No harmonies either. Not my favorite. :/

(Sidebar #2) - This outtake of "Empire State" is AMAZING!!! So much better than what made the album, which I despise. I actually love this! Probably because it's so very "Tusk"-esque! So pop/punk!

"If You Were My Love" - I have a love/hate relationship with this musical arrangement. Lindsey's guitar and Chris' piano are gorgeous. As is the organ overdub. I HATE the drums. I hate the upbeat "Crosses to bear/moment to moment" part. The thing that DOES work, though, is when Lindsey and Chris come in at the end to harmonize with the final outro. Great stuff there! While it's still an awesome outtake, I'm glad it was never used. I'm much more partial to the solemn, atmospheric version from "24 Karat Gold".

"Smile At You" - Why this song didn't make the record, I'll never understand. It's my understanding she thought it was "too dark and mean of a song" to go on such an upbeat album. But every Mac album usually benefits from one or two dark songs, so I think that excuse was a cop out. Apparently, this not the "angry version" from the Master Reels (although it sounds pretty angry to me) but I still love it. Wish there were some harmonies, though. Regarding the SYW version, I really wasn't a fan at the time of release, but it's grown on me as of the past few years. I appreciate it for what it is, as it sounds extremely different from Stevie's original demo. However, it still pales in comparison to any of the outtakes from the "Mirage" sessions.

"Straight Back" original album version - same version as the original vinyl my family bought many many (cough cough) moons ago in '82...so this is nothing new here. I'm just glad we finally have this mix on CD for the first time. That Christine harmony always get me! However, I have to say I'm still partial to the version they used when the CD was pressed the first time around, because of some of the vocals added that are missing in the original vinyl version. This will always be the "forgotten Stevie masterpiece" of her Fleetwood Mac contributions. So very underrated!!!

(Sidebar #3) - The outtake of "Wish You Were Here" with the grandiose strings, clarinet and harmonies is the most beautiful thing on this disc for me!!! Why the HELL did this not make the record??? This is the version I will be listening to from now on!

"Gypsy" Video version - It's merely an abridged version from the extended "Chain" Box Set version. Nothing special here. They missed the opportunity to remaster the extended version, is all. Boo.

Live at The Forum, October '82

I guess there's three things I don't understand. 1) Why didn't they just include the original concert as a DVD? 2) If they were going to include a live show during this tour, why did they pick this one? and 3) Why didn't they use the whole show? It all just seems like another cop out of sorts.

That being said, it is nice to have some of these versions on an official CD and sound quality is so much better than bootleg VHS rips of the past.

"The Chain" - Those Stevie wails! The anger! The best!

"Gypsy" - I love how, on the video, she barely makes it to the mic before the first verse starts. LOL! Undoubtedly doing a bump or two backstage, because her voice sounds like it. Very rough. Very nasal. Not her best. It drones. In fact, this is my least favorite live version of "Gypsy". Her vocal on the bridge is like nails on a chalkboard. Ouch!

"Rhiannon" - Continuing with the rough/nasal vocal of "Gypsy". Not her best but at least she tries to make it interesting with some of the key changes/added lyrics she incorporates. The "I don't change and you don't change" is my favorite part, as ironic a statement as it is.

(Sidebar #4) - I adore this version of "Go Your Own Way"! ESPECIALLY the second version where he sings super high on "baby I'd give you my world" and then continues to give it all he has with the "Oh yeah, oh yeah's" til the song ends! The boy is really feeling himself here!

"Sisters Of The Moon" - Undoubtedly the BEST live version of this song EVER, in my opinion. The rough/nasal cocaine fueled vocal works in her favor here! It's so intense. Lindsey taking the point on the bridge is an added bonus! And the "speaking in tongues" part...before she decides she's done singing and just twirls off to the side of the stage. NOTHING can beat this version for me.

Okay, so what do you guys think of the Stevie songs in this new "Mirage" Deluxe set? Very interested to hear your opinions. and, as usual, sorry my posts are so long winded. But you guys are the only people out there I can talk to about Stevie. My nearest and dearest friends and family are either casual fans or can't stand her. So thanks for indulging me!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
(Sidebar) - Has anyone else played "Suma's Walk" and sang the "Wild Heart" dressing room outtake along with it, instead? I know I have!
How can anyone not do it?

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"Gypsy" Video version - It's merely an abridged version from the extended "Chain" Box Set version. Nothing special here. They missed the opportunity to remaster the extended version, is all. Boo.
Actually, the video mix differs greatly from the extended mix from The Chain. The extended mix is missing a few of her vocals, most notably the "still see your bright eyes" over Lindsey's guitar solo at the end. This is the version I've been hoping for for many years and I'm so thrilled they included it.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anybody know the story with "Straight Back" and why there is a different version on vinyl to the CD release? Wasn't the CD version also on the original cassette release?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Does anybody know the story with "Straight Back" and why there is a different version on vinyl to the CD release? Wasn't the CD version also on the original cassette release?
Maybe I'm getting old and my memory is slipping IMO but I read long ago it was because the wrong mix was put on the vinyl version. The version they wanted on the LP was mistaken with the one that appeared on it. It was a manufacturing error.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Actually, the video mix differs greatly from the extended mix from The Chain. The extended mix is missing a few of her vocals, most notably the "still see your bright eyes" over Lindsey's guitar solo at the end. This is the version I've been hoping for for many years and I'm so thrilled they included it.

That extended version from the Chain boxset sounds muddled to me...it sounds like more of an alternate mix then an actually extended mix and yes it's missing the "bright eyes" vocals.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Maybe I'm getting old and my memory is slipping IMO but I read long ago it was because the wrong mix was put on the vinyl version. The version they wanted on the LP was mistaken with the one that appeared on it. It was a manufacturing error.

I think you are correct........That is also what I remember.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM

I finally found someone that uploaded part of the outtakes on youtube, I'm having an eargasm right now listening on If you were my love... such sound and no noise!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

The Mirage Tour was Peak Vibratto-Stevie. On Gypsy it sometimes sounds as if she is singing through an electric fan
Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
That extended version from the Chain boxset sounds muddled to me...it sounds like more of an alternate mix then an actually extended mix and yes it's missing the "bright eyes" vocals.
Am I crazy? I have always loved The Chain version the most because it is the only one with the very strong, clear "but I stiiilll see your bright eeeeeeyyyyyyeeees! I can't find you. Your bright eyeees~ I can't find you" that made the version so much better than the video version.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

So much to love and its too much to write
I have also loved the way Stevie runs to the microphone and is almost late for Gypsy live. The bridge in Gypsy is amazing and I thought she did a good job. Its probably the last time she could hit that "high" (pardon the pun). Gypsy on the Wild Heart tour was mailed in. On the Tango tour it was not too bad but Mirage is a lost treasure of the song.
Total vocal fry for the beginning of Rhiannon. But she pulls through and gets better as the song goes on. You would think it was from a different tour and concert because her voice is so fried. Its probably the worst live version of Rhiannon IMHO. Its so bad that I like it
The Chain live is off the chain (pardon the pun). Christine is really backing vocallly and there is such anger and the best Stevie wails ever!
The Mirage era is when I became a fan. I love all of Mirage, the demos, the lost cuts, the live tracks. There is NOTHING that I dont like. It was the end of an era. No drum machines, no back up singers, no supporting musicisans (except for Ray Lindsey), etc It was 80's before the 80's got crazy with big hair, loud outfits, and bad music.

Mirage is also the ONLY studio Mac album to feature Christine on the cover. She is also on the Dance but that is a live album along with live 1980 album. That alone is just another reason to love Mirage!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a little disappointed that the Smile At You on the deluxe isn't THE Smile At You, but, on the plus side, I can finally see where the "I should have turned away and ran!" on the SYW abomination orginated

LOVE LOVE LOVE If You Were My Love. Sheer perfection. They totally overlooked Stevie on Mirage. WHY she didn't take those two onto The Wild Heart is beyond me.

I just love her voice on the Mirage tour, yeah her voice is fried on Rhiannon, but her voice still had that... certain thing. The Rhiannon dancing helps.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just today started listening to the outtakes, and the song that I'm enjoying the most is That's Alright. Wow!! Her vocals are so good, and I love the way she sings "I must have, I must have been crazy," especially the first time she says "have." Her inflections are awesome.

Funny how one word or sentence can affect how much you like a song.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

Mirage is also the ONLY studio Mac album to feature Christine on the cover. She is also on the Dance but that is a live album along with live 1980 album. That alone is just another reason to love Mirage!!!
Very interesting stat.

Ha ha. I will have to find a picture of her lying down on the floor and stick it into my Say You Will album cover.

Michele
Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Gypsy" - OH MY GOD!!! The 5.1 mix is sooooooooo LUSH! I adore it!!! The echo of the xylophone intertwined with Lindsey and Chris' "Ooooooo" harmonies. Otherworldly! One can really tell why Lindsey considers this his favorite contribution to a Stevie song. There's so much going on but Ken's mix is perfection with the highs and lows. Hat's off to him! I also love that they brought her last line "still see your bright eyes" way up in the mix on this one.

"Straight Back" - Damn! This is almost like a brand new song with the old vocal. So much instrumentation that you could never hear before. Likewise with the harmonies. The best thing is the new Stevie vocals added during the "Hours and hours" part. Then there's the guitar flourishes that Lindsey does here and there, reminiscent of the Edge of Seventeen guitar lick. My only complaint is that they added so many new Stevie vocals and "upped" the volume, that Christine's harmony kind of gets lost in the mix. And it was Chris' harmony that partly made this song for me, personally.
What always bothered me until the reissue was how a lot of the printed lyrics didn't match up with what was actually released. Both "Gypsy" and "Straight Back" had totally different lyrics, so for years I knew there were different versions. It's nice to finally hear what was originally intended to be on the record until all the cuts and editing happened.