User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow DISCUSSION: Christine's songs from Tusk

Tusk has arrived!

Here's the first discussion thread, focusing on Christine's songs.

Christine's Songs
1. Over & Over
2. Think About Me
3. Brown Eyes
4. Never Make Me Cry
5. Honey Hi
6. Never Forget
Old 09-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Brown eyes is the best song she ever wrote. ever.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This will be the most difficult album to dissect and choose a favorite. Since it is such a remarkable album. But Never Forget is just so good. As is Over & Over, and Brown Eyes!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedKiwi View Post
Brown eyes is the best song she ever wrote. ever.
Brown Eyes is without a doubt the lustiest song Fleetwood Mac ever recorded. I think it's also perhaps Fleetwood Mac's highest quality song of all time as well. I can't rave enough about this one... LOVE IT!

Over & Over is really fantastic, too. There's something almost epic about it. I especially love the Live '80 version, and the way it slowly works it's way to a boil.

Think About Me really should have been a radio hit, it's so bubbly.

Honey Hi is such a sweet, innocent little song. Reminds me of a fun, happy road trip tune you sing along to with your friend in the car.

Never Make Me Cry is without a doubt the most boring song Fleetwood Mac ever recorded. It's sleep inducing.

Never Forget is a pretty good album closer. It is sort of quiet, showcases the 3 voices separately and beautifully, and leaves you contemplating the big ride Tusk just took you on.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Man, do i love this album, in all it's freaky glory.

1. Over & Over- Nice album opener, doesn't really hint much at the chaos ahead, which is a good thing
2. Think About Me- I know she and Bucky collaborated on this one, but it's so damn catchy and fun
3. Brown Eyes- It's dirty, but I just adore that song
4. Never Make Me Cry- Let's put it this way: first time I heard it was during Tusk doc, and even then I felt myself getting drowsy. One of 2 songs I skip over on Tusk
5. Honey Hi-Nice, light little song
6. Never Forget- Like Over and Over, gives us something light to close off all the chaos we just heard

You can add me on Facebook
Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Over & Over: Ahh I love this one. It makes dragging the vinyl out of all those stupid inners worthwhile. It's sweet, melodic and oh so heart warming.

Think About Me: Is actually one of my least favourite on Tusk, I have to admit I think it's probably the guitar () and the shared lead vocals. Admittedly, the lyrics are very very cute and there's a little AUU in there that makes me smile every time. John is on top form here, though, particularly on live performances.

Brown Eyes: Funny story, actually. RickRobert made a 10 minute loop of the sha-la-la-woah-oh-oh-ohh and I do listen to that quite often. The studio version, however, completely melts my heart. I adore it and it's my favourite song off Tusk.

Never Make Me Cry: Looks like I'm the only one with love for this one so far. It's one of the most memorable songs off the album for me. Chris' piano is just magical, IMO.

Honey Hi: Once again, so sweet. I think all of Chris' songs on Tusk are heartwarming but Honey Hi takes the biscuit. I think the lyrics are beautiful and touching considering all that She'd been through up to the point of the albums release.

Never Forget: I agree with Louie that this is a brilliant album closer. It's, shall I say, soothing, after all that just exploded through the speakers.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Over & Over - Possibly the most purely beautiful Mac track of all time. I find it so moving. The sweep of the harmonies is just beyond. It makes me cry. Perfectly establishes the emotional impetus of Tusk as the three artsits present their most complete perspectives on Love.
2. Think About Me - Perfect Mac. The Christine and Lindsey interplay is great--better than Don't Stop, I think, even if it's a bit grungier.
3. Brown Eyes - The sublime distillation of the album's unifying aesthetic approach.
4. Never Make Me Cry - Sarah McLachlan and her ilk imitate but never come close to this song's aching beauty. Funny they aim for minor Christine but can't even touch that. Has Christine ever sounded better on record than on Tusk?
5. Honey Hi - Along with Over & Over and Think About Me, this one joins the ranks of Christine's masterpieces (the only other track I'd compare is "Oh Daddy" from Rumours and Say You Love Me from Fleetwood Mac). The way I hear the song, it applies the metaphysical truth of prayer to heartache. Love is communication--as represented by the sublime harmonies.
6. Never Forget - Perfect ending. Gorgeous. Along with Never Make Me Cry, I probably underrate it; appreciating it more for its role in the whole than as a separate perfect part. It's a sonic treat.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-20-2010 at 08:23 AM..
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

All of Christine's songs from Tusk are good and I enjoy them.....but they seem to lack something that I can't figure out. I promise that I don't mean that in a bad way.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Over and over-Just love it. One of Chris's best. Also a brave album opener. This is just a song that touches me. Very atmospheric.

Think About Me- Another Fun Chris pop tune. I love singing along to this. I love Lindsey on the chorus. I know it's a Chris thread but......oh well.

Brown eyes- I must be the only person that HATES this song. Just boring and goes on FOREVER...so no. don't like it.

Never make Me Cry- Beautiful tune. I could listen to this all day. Very underrated song.

Honey Hi- Also another half-baked song I don't like. It just does not sound like a finished song.

Never Forget- Great closer. Love it.

So i think Chris' songs are a mixed bag on Tusk....Always have.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Christine's Tusk songs are masterpieces. Brown Eyes is indeed their sexiest song, lush harmonies, atmospheric, makes my skin tingle. Never Forget is lovely in its simplicity, one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs ever. This being the album closer was genius on somebody's part. Over and Over is perfect, one of her best penned songs. "Could you ever need me and would you know how?" I love that line. Think About Me, Never Make Me Cry, and Honey Hi are flawless.

Last edited by Kayli; 09-20-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Think About Me really should have been a radio hit, it's so bubbly.
It was.

Brown Eyes: Definitely my favorite on the album (and, NO, not because Peter Green plays on it, but then, maybe). Sort of has that spacy Bob Welch feel to it.

Honey Hi: Should've been the opening track on the album (instead of side 4), in place of that funeral dirge called...

...Over & Over: Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, just terrible tracking placement. Should've ENDED a side, not been the album's lead track. AWFUL placement, just awful. WTF were they thinkin'??

Never Forget: Great song...perfect album ender.

Never Make Me Cry: I really don't care for the version on the album...I've heard alternate versions that I like much better. (there's one that sounds like it's Christine by herself on piano, ala "Songbird")

Think About Me: definitely the pop hit it was designed to be. I think of it as almost the sequel to "Don't Stop".
Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It was.

...Over & Over: Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, just terrible tracking placement. Should've ENDED a side, not been the album's lead track. AWFUL placement, just awful. WTF were they thinkin'??

[".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I strongly disagree with that. I think Over and OVer is the perfect opener for this album, especially with The Ledge coming after it. The best first 2 songs on any Fleetwood Mac album ever.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Honey Hi- Also another half-baked song I don't like. It just does not sound like a finished song.
That's the track's appeal to me, in a nutshell. Its atmosphere is so casual, so unmechanical, & so seemingly unplanned. When the band rehearsed it for the 1979 tour, they sounded exactly like the album version. For a band whose work in the studio so frequently distorts reality & naturalness, "Honey Hi" is a discrepancy.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Over and Over: It's a good song, not a great one. I agree with ChiliD that it's a terrible opener and would've worked better ending one of the sides. Her voice on this is in great form.

Think About Me: I like it. Again, a good one, not her best, but really good. I've always preferred the uptempo live backing track to the studio one, but the song works very well on the record--a good bridge between Chris-Lindsey musical styles of this time.

Brown Eyes: This is not only my favorite of hers on the record but among my favorite tunes of hers period. Damn it's so hypnotic!

Never Make Me Cry: Not a fan. Never understood its appeal. A wanna-be songbird, only more morose. Still, she sings it well--at least in the studio. On the Tusk doc, her performance of the song on the boat was hideous. The 1,000 beers couldn't have helped.

Honey Hi: This is such a magnificent little gem. It's charm never gets old. Her voice is in top form, the almost improvised lyrics add to the charm. And that vocal round! How magnificent. Why the three vocalists didn't do more of this sort of thing is beyond me. The cover version of "Kiss and Run" seems to be the closest they came to reproducing this musical moment.

Never Forget: Possibly her strongest song-as-song on the record. It's a great album closer, and her voice is--once again--in beautiful form. I always felt this could have been a smash if it were given a different arrangement. But then I like the simple, spare approach here.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I strongly disagree with that. I think Over and Over is the perfect opener for this album, especially with The Ledge coming after it. The best first 2 songs on any Fleetwood Mac album ever.
I agree. I think they set the quirky tone of the album, perfektly. Although I MUCH prefer the live version of O&O, on the live album. The buildup at the end just rocks.
Think About Me - always my favorite Tusk song. I just realized, though, that I don't have a live version of this. Does anyone have a decent version, that they could upload???