Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Love minus zero

I was just curious if anyone has heard Bob Dylans original version of this song? I can't imagine it's much better thaN Lindsey's Version. that song should have been on SYW!!!!!! the only reason I think it might not have been is because it was a cover.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, yeah...Dylan's is fantastic...after all, it IS the original version, right? "Better" is just personal taste. Actually, Lindsey's version is very similar to the Byrds' version.

Another really good version of the song is Eric Clapton's from the live 30th Anniversary Tribute to Bob Dylan.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Oh, yeah...Dylan's is fantastic...after all, it IS the original version, right? "Better" is just personal taste. Actually, Lindsey's version is very similar to the Byrds' version.
I agree.
And I like Lindsey's version, though I wish his vocal were not so tame.
BTW, I think Lindsey & Stevie songs should be on Mac albums only when you can hear both their vocals in the song. JMO

- Jake
Old 06-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
On what album did the Byrds do "Love Minus Zero"? I have all of their albums, and didn't see it listed.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I was just curious if anyone has heard Bob Dylans original version of this song?
Oh my. I'm curious if very many people haven't heard Dylan's original. If you haven't, for shame! What you've been doing all these years, living your life without a copy of Bringing It All Back Home, sure is beyond me.

Quote:
I can't imagine it's much better thaN Lindsey's Version.
For someone as fond of risk-taking (at least in the studio) as Lindsey, I was really surprised by how tame, predictable and almost boring his cover of "Love Minus Zero" is. His arrangement is awfully MOR (especially at the end, coming back to the first verse with just the guitar strumming), and he doesn't really sing the lyrics with much feeling. That said, his performance of the song at the AFI show (dedicated to George Harrison), is a bit more moving. But overall I think his Rolling Stones covers - "Gotta Get Away," "She Smiled Sweetly," "The Singer Not The Song" - are a whole lot better.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Another really good version of the song is Eric Clapton's from the live 30th Anniversary Tribute to Bob Dylan.
And Clapton's "Don't Think Twice" from the same show is just mind-blowing.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
On what album did the Byrds do "Love Minus Zero"? I have all of their albums, and didn't see it listed.
Yeah...I just went through their catalog at CD Universe and couldn't find it...but, I definitely have seen/heard Roger McGuinn singing the song. Maybe I have it on a bootleg...I'll check when I get home.

Did Roger take the lead vocal on it during Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue tour, maybe?

Last edited by chiliD; 06-08-2005 at 06:55 PM..
Old 06-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did Roger take the lead vocal on it during Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue tour, maybe?
I believe Dylan did "Love Minus Zero" solo and acoustic on the Rolling Thunder Revue tour. Beautiful performance of the song on the Bootleg Series Vol. 5.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I believe Dylan did "Love Minus Zero" solo and acoustic on the Rolling Thunder Revue tour. Beautiful performance of the song on the Bootleg Series Vol. 5.
Vol. 5 is a beautiful performance altogether. That one's my personal favorite out of all the selections in the Bootleg Series. The clip of Isis from Renaldo and Clara on the bonus DVD that came with it is utterly fabulous, too.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not a Dylan fan (I think he writes well, I just don't much care for his voice) but I think Lindsey's cover is excellent. I hope someday he performs it live...whenever that will be
Old 06-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
I'm not a Dylan fan (I think he writes well, I just don't much care for his voice) but I think Lindsey's cover is excellent. I hope someday he performs it live...whenever that will be
He did! As I mentioned in a previous post, he performed it with Mick at one of Stevie's AFI benefit concerts in December 2001 and dedicated the song to George Harrison who had passed away a week or so prior. I'm listening to it right now, and as I remembered, it's quite a bit better than the studio recording, which I find pretty listless. Lindsey invests a whole lot more in his vocal and his playing, and Mick's sparse percussion adds a nice twist. Lindsey conflates two verses at the end, but somehow it works and the performance ends up being very moving.

Shoot me an e-mail...
Old 06-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He did! As I mentioned in a previous post, he performed it with Mick at one of Stevie's AFI benefit concerts in December 2001 and dedicated the song to George Harrison who had passed away a week or so prior. I'm listening to it right now, and as I remembered, it's quite a bit better than the studio recording, which I find pretty listless. Lindsey invests a whole lot more in his vocal and his playing, and Mick's sparse percussion adds a nice twist. Lindsey conflates two verses at the end, but somehow it works and the performance ends up being very moving.

Shoot me an e-mail...
Ahhh will do...i'd love to hear it
Old 06-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I LOVE that live version. It's even better than the studio version on Bringing It All Back Home, in my opinion. There's another live version on his MTV Unplugged DVD. It's very good too, but not as good as the version on the Rolling Thunder Revue CD set.

Last edited by macfan 57; 06-09-2005 at 06:03 AM..
Old 06-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Red face

I just wanna finally hear their version of "I Am Waiting."
Old 06-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon
I just wanna finally hear their version of "I Am Waiting."
Me too. I'm not not fond of Lindsey's version of Love Minus Zero to tell the truth.