Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anybody else get their copy yet?

Mine just arrived today and I must say that Billy is in his usual fine form. Every song is well done, though I do have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the length of the disc. (43 minutes is not enough music after 6 years of basically nothing!!!!) After the first listen, my favorites are "Tryin' To Get Away" and his brilliant cover of the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love."
Old 03-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love."
Billy has the perfect voice for that song. I think he's such an excellent singer. I wish I had his singing voice.

He started out in life as a small child, by the way.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What the hell? Where are all my fellow Billy fans? SteveMacD, ChiliD? Surely I'm not the only one who's received their copy so far!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have no fear...just got my copy last week (got Christine's In The Meantime at the same time)...have been burrowing into it before I post about it.

I never thought I'd hear a rockabilly version of "Oh Well", but here 'tis. And, I like it, too. Anyone else notice the upright bass intro to the vocal line is almost the same as the Tusk bass line?

I really like the Bob Dylan song he covers, too..."Broken" something or other. (See? That's what I mean..I need to get to where I know the album inside/out before I post).

My only real negative comment, not so much about this particular album, but about Billy in general, is that it is getting really annoying that he re-records songs for subsequent albums. Ok, so how many versions of "Tear It Up" do we really need? Not saying that this version isn't any good...it's GREAT, but not anything really different than the two or three other versions he's recorded. He'd just recorded "Memphis Blues" for his All Night Long album that he sold here on the Penguin (only has released one album in between). So, by this, he should be about ready to record yet another version of "The Bigger The Love" and/or "I'm Not Me" on his next album.

Sure, "Tear It Up" was his dad & uncle's big hit, but there are other of their tunes he could've covered instead.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
My only real negative comment, not so much about this particular album, but about Billy in general, is that it is getting really annoying that he re-records songs for subsequent albums. Ok, so how many versions of "Tear It Up" do we really need? Not saying that this version isn't any good...it's GREAT, but not anything really different than the two or three other versions he's recorded. He'd just recorded "Memphis Blues" for his All Night Long album that he sold here on the Penguin (only has released one album in between). So, by this, he should be about ready to record yet another version of "The Bigger The Love" and/or "I'm Not Me" on his next album.
And, don't forget, "Gimme You" was on "Are You With Me Baby."

Quote:
Sure, "Tear It Up" was his dad & uncle's big hit, but there are other of their tunes he could've covered instead.
"Train Keep-A-Rollin'" comes to mind...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally agree about the disappointment with Billy's insistence on rerecording songs multiple times. Although I perhaps don't notice it as much as others might because my Billy collection is woefully incomplete.

I love all of Billy's covers on this one, which is no surprise since he normally does them well.

My current favorite, however, is "My Love Will Not Change." Have been known to leave it on repeat for hours on end.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
"Train Keep-A-Rollin'" comes to mind...
VERY good choice.

Also, "Your Sixteen" (yes, the one covered by Ringo in 1973), which was a big hit for his uncle. Yeah, it's a little sappy, but I think Billy would rock it up a bit and make it cool again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
My current favorite, however, is "My Love Will Not Change." Have been known to leave it on repeat for hours on end.
Yeah, I like that one, too. From the "misheard lyric" file: First time I played it, I heard "My LUCK will not change".
Old 03-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Would Billy ever consider doing "Sweet Betsy From Pike"? I would LOVE to hear that!!

Billy, if you're reading this, please record some of the classic American folk songs from the 18th & 19th centuries.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Would Billy ever consider doing "Sweet Betsy From Pike"?
I dunno about Billy, but I think it wouldn't take much to get Dylan to.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My only real negative comment, not so much about this particular album, but about Billy in general, is that it is getting really annoying that he re-records songs for subsequent albums.
BTW, can't we also say the same is true of Bob?

THE Stephen Hopkins