Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart "I made it at [RS] number 100, like someone threw me a bone"

another one of Lindsey's interviews from his most recent "serving the truth tea" series -

http://kearth101.cbslocal.com/2012/1...would-say-yes/

MUSIC

Lindsey Buckingham Talks Buckingham/Nicks Reissue: ‘I Would Say Yes’

December 6, 2012 11:48 AM

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Buckingham/Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks

There’s been a lot of excitement around Fleetwood Mac‘s upcoming tour, which kicks off next spring. There may be new songs on the way as well, with Lindsey Buckingham telling CBS Local that the band has worked on some new music. But another Mac-related project that may be coming soon is a reissue of the Buckingham/Nicks LP.

A primer for those who aren’t well versed in Mac history: Fleetwood Mac existed for nearly a decade before Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band. And before they joined the band, they recorded the Buckingham/Nicks album as a duo. The album has been out of print for decades, and, in fact, has never been released on CD (much less digitally), although it has been widely bootlegged.

But Buckingham tells CBS Local that, besides discussing Fleetwood Mac’s future, he and Nicks recently discussed reissuing their pre-Mac LP.

“Stevie and I have been hanging out a little bit lately, and we’ve been talking about that,” he says. “I think that’s something that would happen this year as well. Oddly enough, I hate to even say it, I think the 40th anniversary of that is next year. Jeez! Is that possible? So we’ve been talking about it. Of course, we’ve been talking about it off and on for a long time, but Stevie seems really into the idea. So yes, I would say yes.”

Buckingham has just released One Man Show, a solo acoustic album that puts his guitar playing skills center stage, even moreso than Fleetwood Mac’s concerts do. Guitar players are routinely blown away by his skills, but he doesn’t always get the “guitar hero” treatment by the press – which hasn’t escaped Buckingham’s notice.

“Rolling Stone had their ‘Top 100 Guitarists’ list, and I made it at number 100, like someone threw me a bone,” he says. “But beyond a certain point, you can’t worry about that. I think there is potentially a little lack of appreciation for what I’m doing. It’s sort of inherently under the radar.”

His solo career is on the backburner for now, Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac kick off a tour on April 4 in Columbus, Ohio. Fleetwood Mac’s website reports that they will reissue an expanded version of Rumours early next year.

– Brian Ives, CBS Local

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as i love this man, i don't think he deserved to be in the top 50. He should have been higher than Cobain though, if we're talking about skills.

But then again, how underrated is this man, for example?

Lindsey makes me laugh but he is a wee bit pretentious
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why didn't he bring the bone he was thrown up to Andy, during the interview?

Michele
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hehe lovin this truth tea! i love him dearly, but if i never have to hear little machine/big machine/cycles again i will be a happy lady. of course, i know it will resurface eventually gotta love him
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Why didn't he bring the bone he was thrown up to Andy, during the interview?

Michele
he did - a big chunk of it too!

all other guys who interviewed LB recently were tweeting to Andy how great the interview is and how jealous they are. i think Andy said something like he must have been lucky to have caught LB at the time he was ready to vent.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he did - a big chunk of it too!
Well, I meant that other bone about the Top 100 Guitarists list.

Michele
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I meant that other bone about the Top 100 Guitarists list.

Michele
thought it was the same bone...

Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thought it was the same bone...
I don't know what you mean by that. However, if you're suggesting that Lindsey's problems within the band are the same as he has with his public perception outside of it, I don't agree at all.

Michele
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by that. However, if you're suggesting that Lindsey's problems within the band are the same as he has with his public perception outside of it, I don't agree at all.

Michele
nope, i didn't mean anything that profound.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For many years, I have subscribed to the viewpoint that Lindsey has often been overlooked, even underrated, as a guitarist. But, really, lately it kind of becomes a pointless argument. What is "underrated" exactly? Who decides how a guitarist should be rated and against what metrics? How do you compare a Lindsey Buckingham with a Stevie Ray Vaughan with an Eddie Van Halen with a Jack White? Each has a distinctive style. Throw in Paul Simon, even. So whoever decides who should rate where on some imaginary scale is doing so either out of an inherent bias -- which we all have because we all have favorites -- or based on some popularity scale that combines factors like CD and ticket sales -- or a combination of both.

But ultimately, saying Lindsey is underrated kind of ignores the fact that the man gets a lot of exposure when he wants it. He gets accolades galore, even when he is doing a one-man show to backing tracks, which were he someone else, would probably draw strong criticism. He gets to go on the brainier shows on late-night PBS and on the View-type shows. The hosts practically melt for him. He gets feature stories in guitarist magazines. I mean, he wants exposure, he gets it.

What it comes down to is this: Lindsey has limited appeal. And that's because he is different, and as we know, that is by design. Picasso and Pollock aren't for everyone either, but they sure get critical acclaim, as does Lindsey. The exception here is Rumours, but Lindsey by himself would never have gotten than kind of popularity. He could have made an album 10 times better than Rumours and it still wouldn't have happened.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I couldn't really care less actually. I mean Christine said it, you can find a better guitarist technically, but you can't find someone who does what Lindsey does, which is to use his guitar skills to make him a better producer and overall musician (who understands much more than just the instrument he plays).

I don't even think of him as a guitarist actually -- unless I'm using the term as a generic name for him.

There was an interview Stevie gave on Dateline and she said, Mick's the best drummer and John's the best bass player and Lindsey "is our little music crafter" and that's the way I felt. If she had said he was the best guitarist, I would have been upset.

Michele
Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

I kinda think that LB even mentioning the comment regarding the RS guitar status was quite a glimpse into the fact that it indeed bothers him and he now has to be the one to dismiss it....

Yes, he can command certain press attention.... Being told how friggin fabulous and genius he is... To playing some strange small venues (though, personally, I am thankin' the heavens that I can even get within 10 feet of LB doing his thang) - and, I do believe, he really was just playing for the few of us, and of course, him... also working out what "works"... Hence the comments in some interviews about future FM set lists... Hmmmmmm... Anyhoo....

The humility factor though, gotta give him props for that....

In my long winded way, I guess what I trying to say.... Is that, I kinda have grown to appreciate his grace..... moving between the big machine and the small machine.... Wow! That was succinct! Such a Libra he will always be.... haha

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it